Anodized front panel for ODS

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Zippy

Re: Anodized front panel for ODS

Post by Zippy »

Sven wrote:Useful? Well, this thread was supposed to be about DESIGN of audio, elcetroacoustic enclosures, valve amp. face plates ... etc. and such equipment.
No, THIS thread was about face plates. I just looked again and I'm sure.

I asked you in a previous post to share with us a sample of what you hold as GOOD. So far you've shared a cabinet design and a chassis gut shot. How 'bout a FACE PLATE that you like?

P.S. I'm smiling. I hope you can too. Cheers!
Mastervolume

Post by Mastervolume »

Sven wrote:Useful? Well, this thread was supposed to be about DESIGN of audio, elcetroacoustic enclosures, valve amp.
Sven
dude you need to get a different swedish to english dictionary, I think the cat was just talking about his chassis and faceplates.

But seriously if I ever needed to add filtering to my PS you would be the mad man I would want to talk to. I'll take your word for it that there are resistors on that board......

Personally I would have gone to 11.5 I like a tired joke.
should there be sparks?
candh

Post by candh »

Sven wrote:Greetings,

did you present your work to this forum to be praised or can you stand an honest critiques and opinion of failures of your work?

Sven

LOL.....Sven, RJ very kindly and albeit in a round about way said, "no thank you". Didn't you get that?

This reminds of the Japanese who always end their conversations with, "please come to my house sometime". And the look on their faces :shock: when the unknowing foreigner actually shows up. Don't ask me how I know...lol.

Also, the "to eleven" joke is only really old to us old amp dorks.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

Sven's an 11 year old troll from Detroit. Ignore him.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
pedro

Post by pedro »

just to lighten things up ........

I have to say I really like those blue Slovenian caps Sven - kinda funky.
If they sound good too - then thats great !

I like using old parts in my builds - occasionally makes them less aesthetically pleasing to look at though.....

Heres an example of a Dumble circuit inside a chassis with no faceplate at all !! And a couple of other toys too. In fact - none of my amps have any faceplates :shock: - but then, its me who plays through them and I know what each knob does. I've noticed on recordings I've made that the faceplate couldnt be heard at all. :D

BTW, Please dont anyone critique the aesthetics - all I can tell you is each amp sounds wonderful, the aesthetics are crap !

Pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pedro

Post by pedro »

RJ - by the way I think your faceplate is good... keep it up!

"11's! are fine by me.

Rgds
Pete
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

pedro wrote:just to lighten things up ........

I have to say I really like those blue Slovenian caps Sven - kinda funky.
If they sound good too - then thats great !

I like using old parts in my builds - occasionally makes them less aesthetically pleasing to look at though.....

Heres an example of a Dumble circuit inside a chassis with no faceplate at all !! And a couple of other toys too. In fact - none of my amps have any faceplates :shock: - but then, its me who plays through them and I know what each knob does. I've noticed on recordings I've made that the faceplate couldnt be heard at all. :D

BTW, Please dont anyone critique the aesthetics - all I can tell you is each amp sounds wonderful, the aesthetics are crap !

Pete
Sorry have to comment. Fine looking stuff Pete. I simply can't find a thing wrong with it. Keep up the good work. My outsides usually look pretty good. It's the insides that I won't show. :lol:
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
pedro

Post by pedro »

cheers ! nice words.

the "Industr-umble" will be going into a wooden head cab instead of the black metal chassis - its too "ringy" - and besides I like pine amps .....

Some of you may have counted the controls and noticed I put the OD trimmer on the front panel - the OD controls are the black chickens.

all the best , Pete
Omar

Post by Omar »

Sven
As my mom used to put it when I was a know-it-all teenager "It's not what you said, it's how you said it."

This forum is open to all opinions as long as they are stated in a tactful manner. While I can appreciate a blunt, honest opinion, the approach you used came across as condescending. I would suggest you re-read RJ's comment after you initially inquired about offering your opinion.

Also, just because most of us are in the USA and believe in freedom of speech, this is a forum that is more akin to somebody's living room. Freedom of speech is allowed on the street corner. When you're in someone's house those rules don't necessarily apply.

<end of rant>

Let's get back to amp building, please ....

Omar
Tone by misadventure
RJ Guitars

Layout Added

Post by RJ Guitars »

Hello All,

I've added a layout to my post and I'm curious if anyone sees anything on the layout that will cause me grief on this build. I've got a friend with an unfinished D'Lite that I'm going to compare with and hopefully any issues will be apparent and then I can start making my boards.

rj
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

Makes sure to add a pwrAmp in jack too, you never know when you might want it.
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
bcook

Post by bcook »

heisthl wrote:Makes sure to add a pwrAmp in jack too, you never know when you might want it.
And a footswitch.
novosibir

Post by novosibir »

A power switch also would be helpful, as well as an impedance selector switch.

Larry
Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

I am very grateful for all the help and tremendously thankful that Omar has opened up the forum again... Access to the eyes, ears, and thoughts of this forum is awesome!

It seems I am building my ODS in slow motion, but between my real job and my real life... amp building doesn't always get the high priority time slot...

I've got new pictures and I'd be greatly appreciative for any positive helpful comments on my build... I've discovered a couple things I'd do differently next time, but for now I am comfortable that it will all go together just fine... hope that turns out to be true!

rj

image 1) Any reason I shouldn't wire the heaters this way? I have to admit this is my first build where I intentionally got the phase the same on each tube.

image 2) A look at the front - Creme color chicken head knobs are coming. The power and standby are all in one switch.

image 3) a look at the back - No impedence switch since I'm going to build this as a combo and don't expect to us an extension speaker. I intend to have: AUX IN - AUX OUT - FS - LINE OUT - SPEAKER - BIAS - FUSE - POWER INPUT
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

Looks great! The only reason to stick the heater wires up in the air is to give you some chassis floor space for other wire runs that you might not want next to anything. Look at the real ones or the Funk build or my build in a funk chassis http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3508 to see what I mean.
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com