members builds in progress

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Funkalicousgroove

Re: members builds in progress

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

I s'pose you have all seen these, but I thought I'd post them here anyway. This one is an EL34 amp and uses a Heyboer Marshall PT, an OEI OT (Friggin superb by the way!!) and a Pacific Twin-reverb style choke. It basically follows the 1997 schematic that Dogears posted. I used a combination of 225p and 715 Orange drops in spots where I wanted a bit more top end.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

glasman wrote:
Bennypapa wrote:Those must be some small eyelets!!!

Thanks,

Bennypapa
The 1/8" keystones. I get them through Mouser.
Last edited by groovtubin on Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Normster

Post by Normster »

Wow, what a great forum! A few familiar faces and lots of new ones. I've just completed my first "real" clone although I've modded a couple of Bassmans and even a Pignose G60VR. Here's the latest...

groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

Normster wrote:Wow, what a great forum! A few familiar faces and lots of new ones. I've just completed my first "real" clone although I've modded a couple of Bassmans and even a Pignose G60VR. Here's the latest...

[img]http://bad-domain/DumbleRepro/DSC01923.JPG[/img]

[img]http://bad-domain/DumbleRepro/clone4.JPG[/img]
Last edited by groovtubin on Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

groovtubin wrote:
Normster wrote:Wow, what a great forum! A few familiar faces and lots of new ones. I've just completed my first "real" clone although I've modded a couple of Bassmans and even a Pignose G60VR. Here's the latest...

ps: AN outboard FX loop completes my personal rig, if you`d like to know any particulars feel free to e-mail me. The values at BG are wrong......

[img:640:480]http://bad-domain/DumbleRepro/DSC01923.JPG[/img]

[img:640:480]http://bad-domain/DumbleRepro/clone4.JPG[/img]
Last edited by groovtubin on Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Normster

Post by Normster »

Normster, thats absolutely beautiful! Bet she sounds awesome! Mine`s based on a 70`s circuit w/4X 6V6, heyboer trannies, its a trip!! Nice to see a guy do Ex++ work!! Thats the way ta do it! I`m retired Navy, i bet you were in some kinda field?? Did your chassis come from that guy in china? Looks great! I use Rad shack led holders, and get the led`s from mouser, king bright, cheaper that RS!! LOL! I typically use met oxide on caths and plates, CC on rest, this latest is carbon film mostly, and it turned out well, i see you did that too. I believe the early early circuit likes met ox/wire wound, and later to Carbon Film, and then the 90`s like met film, weird prog huh? I know that ONE misplaced resistor type will ruin the sound! LOL!! Do you know Gil Ayan, and Ed Goforth by any chance? Those guys KNOW these circuits man! LOL!
my best, jim
Thanks, Jim. That's a mighty sweet looking amp you've got as well! :)

Actually, my technical background was auto mechanic until about 15 years ago, but I was an aircraft mechanic in the military. Not too much of a stretch I guess.

I use metal oxide for all power resistors and 1w carbon film for nearly everything else. I used metal film in a couple of builds, but the carbon films seem to get the job done just as well. The biggest change in this build was changing from 715P to PS series caps. I think they're a little smoother, but it could just be my imagination. ;)

I don't know Gil or Ed, but I've heard Scott Lerner talk about them often. My Dumble mentors are primarily Scott and Gary Johnson...both great guys that have really helped me dial in my tone.
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

Normster wrote:
Normster, thats absolutely beautiful! Bet she sounds awesome! Mine`s based on a 70`s circuit w/4X 6V6, heyboer trannies, its a trip!! Nice to see a guy do Ex++ work!! Thats the way ta do it! I`m retired Navy, i bet you were in some kinda field?? Did your chassis come from that guy in china? Looks great! I use Rad shack led holders, and get the led`s from mouser, king bright, cheaper that RS!! LOL! I typically use met oxide on caths and plates, CC on rest, this latest is carbon film mostly, and it turned out well, i see you did that too. I believe the early early circuit likes met ox/wire wound, and later to Carbon Film, and then the 90`s like met film, weird prog huh? I know that ONE misplaced resistor type will ruin the sound! LOL!! Do you know Gil Ayan, and Ed Goforth by any chance? Those guys KNOW these circuits man! LOL!
my best, jim
Thanks, Jim. That's a mighty sweet looking amp you've got as well! :)

Actually, my technical background was auto mechanic until about 15 years ago, but I was an aircraft mechanic in the military. Not too much of a stretch I guess.

I use metal oxide for all power resistors and 1w carbon film for nearly everything else. I used metal film in a couple of builds, but the carbon films seem to get the job done just as well. The biggest change in this build was changing from 715P to PS series caps. I think they're a little smoother, but it could just be my imagination. ;)

I don't know Gil or Ed, but I've heard Scott Lerner talk about them often. My Dumble mentors are primarily Scott and Gary Johnson...both great guys that have really helped me dial in my tone.
Last edited by groovtubin on Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobW

Post by BobW »

Normster and Groovtubin, both are excellent looking amps, great work. I am impressed how exact Normsters amp looks inside and out. You can always tell when an AE performs the work, nothin but top notch. I used to work with a few Navy Techs years ago, and learned a lot from them. Normster do you have a website? my email is robert_walters@raytheon
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

BobW wrote:Normster and Groovtubin, both are excellent looking amps, great work. I am impressed how exact Normsters amp looks inside and out. You can always tell when an AE performs the work, nothin but top notch. I used to work with a few Navy Techs years ago, and learned a lot from them. Normster do you have a website? my email is robert_walters@raytheon
Last edited by groovtubin on Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Normster

Post by Normster »

Thanks for the kind comments, guys. The hardest part about this build was figuring out component dimensions and locations from pictures on the internet. I'd already built a few Dumble clones, but this was my first "replica." I really owe a lot to Dogears for helping me with values and tone tweaks, as well as being a good friend.

As for the tone, I'll get a few clips recorded this weekend. Basically, it's the rudest Dumble I've ever built...perfect for blues. ;)

BTW, looks like Antique Electronics finally got in a few Fender bias pots so that little eyesore will soon be gone from the amp. :)
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

Normster wrote:Thanks for the kind comments, guys. The hardest part about this build was figuring out component dimensions and locations from pictures on the internet. I'd already built a few Dumble clones, but this was my first "replica." I really owe a lot to Dogears for helping me with values and tone tweaks, as well as being a good friend.

As for the tone, I'll get a few clips recorded this weekend. Basically, it's the rudest Dumble I've ever built...perfect for blues. ;)

BTW, looks like Antique Electronics finally got in a few Fender bias pots so that little eyesore will soon be gone from the amp. :)
Last edited by groovtubin on Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mlp-mx6

Post by mlp-mx6 »

groovtubin wrote:
BobW wrote: geez I bet HAD would be PROUD of that one hehe!!
Uh, maybe not "proud"... doesn't seem to be his style! (grin)

Beautiful craftsmanship! Looking forward to the clip(s).

Michael
v00d00blues79

Post by v00d00blues79 »

Normster,

how do you have your chassis mounted in the cabinet?

Thanks,

Andy
Normster

Post by Normster »

Thanks again! :)

The chassis is mounted Fender style with long screws in each corner of the box.
BobW

Post by BobW »

groovtubin wrote:
BobW wrote:Normster and Groovtubin, both are excellent looking amps, great work. I am impressed how exact Normsters amp looks inside and out. You can always tell when an AE performs the work, nothin but top notch. I used to work with a few Navy Techs years ago, and learned a lot from them. Normster do you have a website? my email is robert_walters@raytheon
My HATS off to Normster as well, even when you have a good layout, doing it to a TEE is a HUGE challenge! I`ve assured myself it sounds as good as it looks, geez I bet HAD would be PROUD of that one hehe!! Bob, you can DO IT TOO!! Just takes practice..
jim

Not worried about the practice, :wink: can make it pretty once the values are nailed down. I started w/turret board, all I had in my shop, but don't suggest this for protos. I am very close to the tone I want ,but would like to hear Normsters amp, since I play blues too (+30 yrs). BobW