Interesting ODS & Sundown Comparison...HRM sounds?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ic-racer

Interesting ODS & Sundown Comparison...HRM sounds?

Post by ic-racer »

I had previously posted a clip where I used the same speaker, mike, guitar and backing track on 3 different amps and the differences were not all that great.

This clip is a similar situation, with the same guitar and speaker.

The the first measures of the clip are from my Non-HRM #124 clone followed by a Sundown on its OD channel.

Again, somewhat subtle on a computer monitor, but what I am hearing with the Sundown portion is a little more grind and bite. It reminds me a little of an HRM amp.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6687158 (ODS followed by Sundown)
ic-racer

Re: Interesting ODS & Sundown Comparison...HRM sounds?

Post by ic-racer »

I think it is interesting to look at the similarities and differences in schematics and see how they compare to the way Dumble did things.

This schamatic was re-drawn from a Dumble HRM schematic and it shows the preamp section of the Sundown. You can see, like the HRM, it has a Marshall type tone stack following the OD section. It also has a similar architecture with two dual triodes.

Interesting is that the Sundown uses the Marshall's cathode follower before the tone stack. Filling in some Dumble values might make for some cool sonic possibilities.

Again, I'm not trying to say this is based on a Dumble circuit, I'm just interested in looking at the similarities and differences to perhaps get some new ideas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
drpastorbob

I like the Sundown Sound

Post by drpastorbob »

Although your #124 honks and sings very nicely, I like the overall tone of the Sundown better. I should qualify that by saying I probably have nicely worn in ears that require a little extra treble.

Both are great though.

Bob
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

I like your playin' - wow
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

What kind of effects / algoritms are you using??

It sounds like both reverb and delay ??
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

bluesfendermanblues wrote:What kind of effects / algoritms are you using??

It sounds like both reverb and delay ??
Mic->Mackie Mixer->Rack mounted Spring Reverb and Digitech Digital Delay in the effects loop of the mixer->Recorder

I mix in both delay and reverb. I suspect a new-fangled digital reverb would have a setting with a little slap back echo in it that may be similar. The main reason I keep using that old spring reverb is that when it clips the signal is not destroyed (like would happen to a digital unit). I can't always watch the thing when playing, occasionally there will be transient spikes when I get into it.
ic-racer

Re: I like the Sundown Sound

Post by ic-racer »

drpastorbob wrote: overall tone of the Sundown better.b
I like the Sundown on those clips also. I am going to say that is because the guitar I used (Gibson ES135) suited the Sundown better (just because this is the Dumble forum ;) )
jazzcat

Post by jazzcat »

Hi,
how are your settings on the Sundown Amp? Sounds realy great! It's without mod's?
I have the same Amp but can not find that sound. :cry:
carbon_unit

Post by carbon_unit »

Wow man, that sundown sounds killer on that track. It seems to have more bite than the #124 clone. Very close OD sounds but IMO the Sundown sounds ever so slightly better.

Great playing by the way. :D
.....don't know your minor chord you have a major problem

~Daddy O~
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

ic-racer wrote:I had previously posted a clip where I used the same speaker, mike, guitar and backing track on 3 different amps and the differences were not all that great.

This clip is a similar situation, with the same guitar and speaker.

The the first measures of the clip are from my Non-HRM #124 clone followed by a Sundown on its OD channel.

Again, somewhat subtle on a computer monitor, but what I am hearing with the Sundown portion is a little more grind and bite. It reminds me a little of an HRM amp.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6687158 (ODS followed by Sundown)

I think that goes to prove the point that 90% of the sound comes from your hands :)

Nice playing :)

Marcus
gz34

clips

Post by gz34 »

nice playing. you have a lot tone in your fingers.
i actually like both clips, that 124 really sings. what configuration is that please, hi/low plate, skyliner/classic tonestack?
once again, sound good.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Magnificent guitar playing!

I like the tone of both. I think the Sundown would cut thru a band mix really well.

I still like your ManZamp clips the best though.

with respect, 10thtx
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Looking at the schematic, it sort of looks like a Marshall. The JCM800 Super Lead is kind of like this in topology.

I am not seeing an "OD section" per say? Perhaps I am misunderstanding or missing something here.

Google-ing the AD50 online, it looks like maybe there is a single triode OD section after the tone stack prior to the LTPI??

http://el34world.com/charts/Schematics/ ... wn_a50.pdf

Anyhow, the amp sounds fantastic. So I drew up a couple of ideas to go with the posted preamp schematic. This is just a DRAFT idea, so check for errors!

IF I were building this, I'd probably be inclined to use .047 coupling caps post LTPI.

With respect, 10thtx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stevlech

Post by stevlech »

minor note- according to the factory(?) schematic there appears to be a missing 1 Meg resistor between the coupling cap and gain pot in ic-racer's schem.
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

Wow I had almost forgot about my 'Soundclick' account. That was recorded back in 2008. I got that amp out again and recorded something more recent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_sNOiwJ7_Q
Here is the schematic. [img:3200:2480]http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/sun ... dn_a50.gif[/img]
"You feel like you're floating on a football field filled with marshmallows." -Dumble