NFB and switchable impedance speaker switches

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

NFB and switchable impedance speaker switches

Post by norburybrook »

While I wait for my pots to arrive so I can update to the skyliner EQ I was having a think about the NFB on Dumble amps.

now, as HAD used fender Twin OT there was only a 4ohm tap which of course the NFB went to.

How does this now work with having a switchable impedance selector?

If I use say an 8 or 16 rather than a 4 ohm most of the time do things need to be adjusted to get the same effect?

Marcus
martin manning

Re: NFB and switchable impedance speaker switches

Post by martin manning »

Each step in secondary impedance brings a 1.4 factor in voltage. To return the same FB voltage to the PI using say the 8 ohm tap instead of the 4 ohm, you would for increase the value of the FB resistor 1.4x. Of course you want to connect the NFB directly to the secondary tap of choice and not to the speaker jack.
aflynt

Post by aflynt »

I believe that if you have a 4 ohm tap you can just connect the NFB wire to where that tap meets on the impedance selector and it will behave as intended. If not I think you'd need to do some calculations to adjust the nfb/presence circuit.

-Aaron
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Martin, are you saying that if I use the 8 on Tap mostly then I should adjust the FFB value and connect it to the 8 on connection on the switch?

M
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear. If you connect the FB directly to the 4 ohm tap (solder it to the impedance switch lug where the 4 ohm tap is soldered) the FB voltage will remain the same regardless of the tap in use, and you can use the FB resistor value shown in the layout.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

yes, that makes sense. It was late and I wasn't thinking about it properly.

As Aaron said , as long as there is a 4 ohm tap then the circuit is working as expected, you'd only need to change things if there were only an 8 or 16 ohm tap.

Thanks

M
metalguy

Post by metalguy »

I think there's another situation when you build a 50Watt version of a 100W amp and have a multitap OT.
If in the original 100 Watt version the FB resistor was tied to the 4 Ohm tap then in a 50 Watt version then the same value resistor should go to the 8 Ohm tap, right?
I've seen some TwoRock amps having a 3 way toggle switch at the back so you can choose which tap to connect the FB resistor to or it has another purpose?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

metalguy wrote:I think there's another situation when you build a 50Watt version of a 100W amp and have a multitap OT.
If in the original 100 Watt version the FB resistor was tied to the 4 Ohm tap then in a 50 Watt version then the same value resistor should go to the 8 Ohm tap, right?
Correct, or the same tap could be used if the value of the feedback resistor is reduced.
metalguy wrote:I've seen some TwoRock amps having a 3 way toggle switch at the back so you can choose which tap to connect the FB resistor to or it has another purpose?
I think that would be for letting the player choose the level of feedback, although it would also be a way to compensate for a half-power situation.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Interesting so my late night, after a couple of glasses of wine, hunch was indeed worth following :D thanks Metal guy :D

I'm going to wire mine to my 8 ohm tap right away.

I should do it to my #102 as well.

M
metalguy

Post by metalguy »

I have couple of ON-ON-ON toggle switches so I may add one for more options.
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

metalguy wrote: If in the original 100 Watt version the FB resistor was tied to the 4 Ohm tap then in a 50 Watt version then the same value resistor should go to the 8 Ohm tap, right?
I think this is a bit more complicated:
http://www.aikenamps.com/index.php/desi ... e-feedback

It may well turn up that the dependency is linear, but it may not as well.

What I am doing though is that I am playing with the global NFB, until I like it and the scope says there is no weird oscillation going on:)
Niki
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

With the caveat that the power amp voltages are the same and all you are doing is compensating for the use of a different secondary tap or half or twice as many output tubes, is is that simple. Nothing wrong with adjusting the feedback to your liking though.
metalguy

Post by metalguy »

Theory of course is much more complicated but for our purposes I don't feel like diving so deep and would prefer to make it simple.
It sounds like you already went this way - play with it until you like it and in the mean time make sure weird things don't happen.