new build choice, 2nd gen 50w

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jam-mill

Re: new build choice, 2nd gen 50w

Post by jam-mill »

drew wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:29 pm It wasn’t a glue mishap, it was part of your proprietary “relic-ing” process! Add some cigarette burns, abuse the grill cloth with an ice pick, replace one knob with a random, chipped one from a fuzz box, put some naval jelly on the corners and handle screw covers to take the shine off them. See if the guy who bought the other one will buy this one at a 30% price premium.
No telling how many Dumble counterfeits are out there especially considering the tidy sums the originals fetch. Seems to be very tempting to make a forgery and pass it off as an original.
John 15:12-13
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

jam-mill wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 4:40 am
drew wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:29 pm It wasn’t a glue mishap, it was part of your proprietary “relic-ing” process! Add some cigarette burns, abuse the grill cloth with an ice pick, replace one knob with a random, chipped one from a fuzz box, put some naval jelly on the corners and handle screw covers to take the shine off them. See if the guy who bought the other one will buy this one at a 30% price premium.
No telling how many Dumble counterfeits are out there especially considering the tidy sums the originals fetch. Seems to be very tempting to make a forgery and pass it off as an original.
I think Drew and I were having a little joke about this. I wouldn't condone anyone trying to pass a forgery off as an original. It was just a thought I had after my glue mishap. Nothing more sinister.

M
dbeasley

Post by dbeasley »

Something like this used to happen to the old Brownface fenders - you occasionally see them with the odd circular brown patch that shows up on the tolex. People originally thought it was stains from coffee mugs or drinks but after they started popping up on wierd spots of the amp it became clear that it was actually caused by a knot in the wood underneath that sapped out a bit and reacted with the glue, leaving a dark stain on the top of the tolex surface.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

well today I replaced the EVM in the combo with a new Celestion Alnico Cream, the 95w version. I put the original AT7 back in the PI to knock the gain back a little as I don't think there will be much headroom for the speaker if I drive the amp hard.

Very pleased with the results, The alnico cream is a lovely speaker, has that smooth chimey top end and nice bass which seems to suit the second gen combo very well, it's given it a slight 'vox/Fender' edge which is a nice change for a dumble. I always say speakers are the things that give you the biggest tonal changes with these amps.
IMG_20180621_174101.jpg
IMG_20180621_174115.jpg

M
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Nice! I built myself a cabinet for my amps and I put an alnico gold and a ceramic creamback in it. Love how they work together.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I've just profiled this amp for my kemper shop so I thought I'd post the sound clips from it. Obviously these are the kemper sounds of the amp but it gives you a feel for the sound of the amp mic'd up, in fact I doubt you'd hear a difference beween the amp and the kemper :D on these static snapshots.

https://soundcloud.com/marcus-cliffe/se ... emper-pack

interestingly this is the amp I'm going to swap out for NOS dales and orientate the caps properly so i will have a reference here of a before and after :D

the last clip is my take on the jo BONAMASSA jazz OD and dimed tweed combination, I used my 50w #102 for that and the tweedled Dee.

Marcus
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

Sounds very, very nice.

I have Small Special, SSS, 102 and Bluesmaster. All 50 watters, besides the SSS of course.
These earlier ones, though, are quite distinct sounding beasts.

I guess, I “need” my sixteenth (or thereabouts) amp. Sigh...

Niki
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

norburybrook wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:53 pm I've just profiled this amp for my kemper shop so I thought I'd post the sound clips from it. Obviously these are the kemper sounds of the amp but it gives you a feel for the sound of the amp mic'd up, in fact I doubt you'd hear a difference beween the amp and the kemper :D on these static snapshots.

https://soundcloud.com/marcus-cliffe/se ... emper-pack

interestingly this is the amp I'm going to swap out for NOS dales and orientate the caps properly so i will have a reference here of a before and after :D

the last clip is my take on the jo BONAMASSA jazz OD and dimed tweed combination, I used my 50w #102 for that and the tweedled Dee.

Marcus
Great playing and tone Marcus. Thanks for sharing. Very curious for the A/B with the NOS Dales and the correct foil orientation
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Synchu wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:22 pm Sounds very, very nice.

I have Small Special, SSS, 102 and Bluesmaster. All 50 watters, besides the SSS of course.
These earlier ones, though, are quite distinct sounding beasts.

I guess, I “need” my sixteenth (or thereabouts) amp. Sigh...

Niki

thanks, that makes me feel better...it's not just me then :D

@Raphael, cheers man :D

MC