Post by dariez75 »

Paul-in-KC

Re: Robben Ford talks about his amps

Post by Paul-in-KC »

Thanks for posting! :D
j0k3335

Post by j0k3335 »

dariez75 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:07 pm https://www.musicradar.com/news/under-t ... ve-special

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
interesting :)

dariez75

Post by dariez75 »

Always a pleasure [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Interesting article. A couple of things I noticed:

"This amp is currently fitted with JJ 6L6 GCs, but they were originally fitted with Philips 6L6s or Groove Tube 6L6s. Sometimes Mr Dumble even used the highly prized and rare Philips 7581s, which are a hard-to-find, super-high power variant of a 6L6."

I don't know if an additional 17% of plate dissipation qualifies as "super-high power," and this statement might suggest to some that the amp's power output is increased with 7581 tubes, which of course is not the case.

"Robben rarely uses these [the loop jacks] now, but he has used the Dumblelator to sync with a TC 2290 Delay unit. If the sockets are not used it seems to sound nicer with a short patch cable inserted."

Sounds like the return jack needs some cleaning...

"The Deep switch can get way too big if used at loud volumes; the Rock and Jazz gives the player the choice of either dead clean (Jazz) or big and dirty (Rock)."
Deep is Mid-boost, of course, and Rock doesn't have to be dirty.

RF has never been much for technical details (no disrespect!), but it doesn't seem that the author is either.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

martin manning wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:31 am
"Robben rarely uses these [the loop jacks] now, but he has used the Dumblelator to sync with a TC 2290 Delay unit. If the sockets are not used it seems to sound nicer with a short patch cable inserted."

Sounds like the return jack needs some cleaning...
In a earlier interview, about the time Robben ditched his Dumblelator, Robben found his #102 too bright without a dumblelator. They contact Mr.Dumble and he suggested a cable in the FX loop. As I recall correctly this "short" patch cable was about 6ft. High impedance FX loop + 6ft cable=roll off high.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

erwin_ve wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:39 amThey contact Mr.Dumble and he suggested a cable in the FX loop. As I recall correctly this "short" patch cable was about 6ft. High impedance FX loop + 6ft cable=roll off high.
Ah, I see, a missing technical detail ;^) So that's 100-300pF to ground, going into the PI (no D'Lator). It's really the Zo of the last preamp stage, and much more importantly where the master volume is set that determines the roll-off.