Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dariez75

A Joe Bonamassa “the Don” Dumble ODS gut

Post by dariez75 »

I’ve found this gut shot on Joe Bonamassa instagram

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by dariez75 on Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt J

Re: A Joe Bonamassa “the Don” Dumble ODS gut

Post by Matt J »

I'm glad he shared this pic. It's always interesting to an ODS pop up that has that type of circuit board layout more commonly seen in a Steel String Singer.

I wonder who the lucky tech is that is getting to work on this amp? Anyone know if Bonamassa has a particular go-to amp tech for his vintage/rare gear?

- Matt J.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I really like these layouts.
Hopefully he’ll post a sound clip soon.

Thanks,
Aaron
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

I like those too. There is one other of that pattern I've seen photos of, but I don't know the serial number. Was this a passing phase or was this the direction HAD was headed with his layouts? It'd be fun to develop layouts for those three preamp boards. For a start, why two trimmers on the PI board?
dariez75

Post by dariez75 »

Aaron wrote:I really like these layouts.
Hopefully he’ll post a sound clip soon.

Thanks,
Aaron
Joe has already post a clip on his Instagram profile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

martin manning wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:26 am I like those too. There is one other of that pattern I've seen photos of, but I don't know the serial number. Was this a passing phase or was this the direction HAD was headed with his layouts? It'd be fun to develop layouts for those three preamp boards. For a start, why two trimmers on the PI board?
The other amp is the Tan combo with no serial number.
The two trimmers on the PI are for the balance and a preset “Presence” pot for the front switch.

Thanks,
Aaron
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Did Joe buy this amp recently? Funny, because in his recent Fender Signature Tweed Twin promotional video, Joe specifically states (paraphrasing) that he was done with and had sold all of his Dumbles after waiting for magic that never happened. Of course he has side projects which require different amps and is an avid collector.
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

IC caps, bleh. Wonder who the tech is as well...this is certainly a rare-bird, being pc based. Doubt there are many out there like it. That same front panel was also on more traditionally made amps.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

The gut shot he posted makes this picture he put up a while back of the amp's back panel make a little more sense. You can spot a cap can beneath the footswitch DIN and I kept wondering what it was doing there.

I would love to see someone make a layout of this type of design one day. I'm curious to hear the opinions from professional builders, or just those with way more experience than me, of the pros/cons of this type of design versus the more traditional type.

- Matt J.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

This is similar to the SSS style with tube sockets in chassis and pc boards above. Not sure there's any sonic benefits, pc boards being as evil as they are.... :roll:
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Does anyone have any more pictures of this one? I could make a layout with a bit more info... not saying I would build it but I could certainly do the layout and post it here for others to try.

I have a layout for SSS #002 with PCBs that surround the sockets. The designs are with the screen printer. He's super busy with baseball teams and the like but they will be made very soon.

I must agree with Andy, PCBs are evil. HAD's designs are different though... I like the idea of eyelets to make parts changes much easier, and you may never have to lift the boards for anything. Kinda takes the evil out of the PCB idea.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

That gut shot and back shots should go with this front combo photo.
29739162_236233747116134_44844530926616576_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

I was being facetious. I contend that a properly design, high quality board, made with quality parts can sound every bit as good as a ptp amp. Actually, they would be more consistent as lead length and parts placement is minimized over Ptp. Obviously it didn't bother HAD at some point. Never understood him not making the Overdrive Specials that way. I did a few clones with a pc board that sounded tits, were quiet, consistent, sounded very right and sold for serious cash. One day build.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

dorrisant wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:33 pm Does anyone have any more pictures of this one? I could make a layout with a bit more info... not saying I would build it but I could certainly do the layout and post it here for others to try.

I have a layout for SSS #002 with PCBs that surround the sockets. The designs are with the screen printer. He's super busy with baseball teams and the like but they will be made very soon.

I must agree with Andy, PCBs are evil. HAD's designs are different though... I like the idea of eyelets to make parts changes much easier, and you may never have to lift the boards for anything. Kinda takes the evil out of the PCB idea.
Sounds like you got some good stuff going on Tony.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

dorrisant wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:33 pm I have a layout for SSS #002 with PCBs that surround the sockets. The designs are with the screen printer. He's super busy with baseball teams and the like but they will be made very soon.
Sounds awesome! I can't wait to see what you've come up with!

- Matt J.