Ultra Phonix mod for Bandmaster

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Charlie Wilson

Re: Ultra Phonix mod for Bandmaster

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Yes, most likely it has a Fender Bassman output transformer but still 4 ohms. If you look at the Bluesmaster layout you will see that the NFB is on the 4 ohm tap.
CW
talbany

Post by talbany »

Sorry but I have to :lol:
This was the same discussion we had here years ago about the ODS. They were classified as 2 different models. The first to be posted online was the HRM. Parts of it were accurate and some were guesswork. Next came 2nd generation. Then Gil posted 124 and the first really accurate description of a Non-HRM was born. Slowly after several other variations began to surface like 183/then the Musicman 34 versions and an accurate description of 102 the holy grail and I remember all the purists always kept saying "No do not deviate" from whatever amp was the flavor of the day and that's the one you want!. If there is 1 thing you should take away from Dumbles work that spans decades is he never massed produced any single design. He was evolving with the times and tailoring his designs to try to match the players needs depending on what style of music or the types of instruments they used, this was especially true since the UP was a mod on several different Fender platforms. We as builders have that same luxury to be able to create an instrument to our own specific needs instead of copying another amp possibly designed for someone else's musical tastes or needs just because it's an exact layout of an original. WHY!.So we can go around and say this is exactly like an amp Dumble made. I have an exact clone of xxxxx amp makes us feel good. Some of you can deny this but I know better :lol: So my question is "What makes anyone here think the UltraPhonix is any different than the ODS?. There may be a common thread that runs through all of them like the Bluesmaster PI but the rest can be altered to suit your tastes. Skyliner stacks, Classic stacks. Low plate high plate 6l6 EL-34 and types of output transformers are all up for interpretation as to what best suits your needs in a guitar amp. My advice would be to start with the PI and then pick your 2 fave Stacks and plate loads since you have 2 channel's to work with. Then choose your fave output tubes and tweak the rest to whatever needs you to want,like efx loops a built-in lator etc etc. That way you will have something designed personally for your needs and not what Dumble designed for someone else. Of all the evidence I 'xe seen and read and heard this is how Dumble approached the UP mod. Combining different designs he used over the years to modify an existing amp to suit a given player's sonic tastes..

Good Luck

Tony
Last edited by talbany on Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

We as builders have that same luxury to be able to create an instrument to our own specific needs instead of copying another amp
Tony,

LOTS of wisdom in your perspective! THANKS for sharing your thoughts.

With respect, 10thtx
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

I had a real UP bassman for about a year. One side was Ultraphonix and the other was Dumbles “Gain” voicing which I believe to be the ripper preamp. Copious amounts of gain, very scooped sounding like EVH/modded Marshall plexi.

Was a very interesting build, with a PCB jumpered and gooped over the old Fender board that was stripped of most components. I’m pretty sure Dumble was making these in small batches through a music store in CA and used the PCB to get them done faster. Just my opinion. It was a very cool rock amp. I built a clone, but added reverb, channel switching, and passive loop. Check out this swirly gain. So cool.

https://youtu.be/cX3o1FnKYEc

Here’s a demo I had made

https://youtu.be/Dk-Xd7B8F0s
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
dbeasley

Post by dbeasley »

Taylor,

Was the gain voicing in the bass channel?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

amplifiednation

The gain voicing was in the bass channel correct. Mid control added to the back panel

I have a clip of the original I’ll try to post it. Wild amounts of gain
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
dbeasley

Post by dbeasley »

Taylor,

Can you verify that the gain voicing is different from "La Tostada" ?

I've done the La Tostada a few times. Great rock tones from whats essentially a JCM800 based preamp.

norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

talbany wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:04 am Sorry but I have to :lol:
This was the same discussion we had here years ago about the ODS. They were classified as 2 different models. The first to be posted online was the HRM. Parts of it were accurate and some were guesswork. Next came 2nd generation. Then Gil posted 124 and the first really accurate description of a Non-HRM was born. Slowly after several other variations began to surface like 183/then the Musicman 34 versions and an accurate description of 102 the holy grail and I remember all the purists always kept saying "No do not deviate" from whatever amp was the flavor of the day and that's the one you want!. If there is 1 thing you should take away from Dumbles work that spans decades is he never massed produced any single design. He was evolving with the times and tailoring his designs to try to match the players needs depending on what style of music or the types of instruments they used, this was especially true since the UP was a mod on several different Fender platforms. We as builders have that same luxury to be able to create an instrument to our own specific needs instead of copying another amp possibly designed for someone else's musical tastes or needs just because it's an exact layout of an original. WHY!.So we can go around and say this is exactly like an amp Dumble made. I have an exact clone of xxxxx amp makes us feel good. Some of you can deny this but I know better :lol: So my question is "What makes anyone here think the UltraPhonix is any different than the ODS?. There may be a common thread that runs through all of them like the Bluesmaster PI but the rest can be altered to suit your tastes. Skyliner stacks, Classic stacks. Low plate high plate 6l6 EL-34 and types of output transformers are all up for interpretation as to what best suits your needs in a guitar amp. My advice would be to start with the PI and then pick your 2 fave Stacks and plate loads since you have 2 channel's to work with. Then choose your fave output tubes and tweak the rest to whatever needs you to want,like efx loops a built-in lator etc etc. That way you will have something designed personally for your needs and not what Dumble designed for someone else. Of all the evidence I 'xe seen and read and heard this is how Dumble approached the UP mod. Combining different designs he used over the years to modify an existing amp to suit a given player's sonic tastes..

Good Luck

Tony
Tony,

Wise words. From my own perspective coming in as a complete novice, I had to build to the exact specs because I knew no better and wanted the least possible issues between the sheet and the finished amp. After a few successful builds now, your post makes perfect sense and I agree 100% with everything you say.

It has taken a good amount of building these amps and learning what does what to get this though.

M
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Tony,

I agree with your post and thanks for all the advice you have given over the years very much appreciated.

Mark
talbany

Post by talbany »

M Fowler wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:16 pm Tony,

I agree with your post and thanks for all the advice you have given over the years very much appreciated.

Mark
Mark
Thank You and right back at ya!

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
amplifiednation

dbeasley wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:59 pm Taylor,

Can you verify that the gain voicing is different from "La Tostada" ?

I've done the La Tostada a few times. Great rock tones from whats essentially a JCM800 based preamp.

I don’t have any info on that preamp. I’d like to know the Mega Plex, Winterland, and Carrot Top if anyone wants to chat... :D
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

In my picking around, Ultraphonix means a response and not a certain circuit at all.. I mean almost anything you can imagine. It hardly makes any sense. I adore that Marshall on Youtube with it, and the blonde Showman is a MONSTER.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
dbeasley

Post by dbeasley »

Carrot Top? Is that a joke or are there as yet undiscovered names for mods?

norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

here's a question: As someone who now owns a 70's second gen, Bluesmaster ,#102 and now #183, is there any point in Ultra Phonix-ing my bandmaster?

M
dbeasley

Post by dbeasley »

I'd say not really. All the Dumble ideas are pretty much culminated in the ODS/SSS. Seems like everything else he tweaked was just taking ideas from those amps and seasoning to taste.

Or would it be the other way around? I'd reckon the mods came first, then coalesced into the amps. It's semantics at this point.