Blues Deluxe to ODS #183 Thread

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Blues Deluxe to ODS #183 Thread

Post by pompeiisneaks »

JazzGuitarGimp wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:59 am I’d swear I heard the cat say: “Oh boy! Daddy dropped a toy for me to bat around!” 🤣
hehe yeah Jack would love a few loose capacitors :D

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Guitarist

Post by Guitarist »

I'm just new here so thought to say hello. I've been on Ampage for 15 years or so and it's a good forum as well. I have a Blues Deluxe reissue that I've modded over the years, basically as far as it go. It still doesn't deliver. I've modded a number of amp types over the years mainly around Vancouver but now I live in the country next to the clean and pristine Kootenay Lake in BC.
For many years, I've been fascinated with Dumbles and other amps. So I'm here due to, gladly and thankfully, seeing that you've made a KILLER board! That is so fully cool and enabling for the aspiring player and furrowed-eyebrowed solder alike myself.
Among other things, thanks "Frenchy" for the videos and sorry for your editing troubles. I hope you get your squealing figured. It could be that you're OT wires got reversed so as the amp now gets positive feedback. If I can, I use twisted pair with shield for signal runs (pseudo balanced) or just shielded. Which may sound to be more Dumble-jumbo;) But you seem experienced so likely of these sort of things anyways. I was at a jam recently and a fellow used speaker cable going into an amp. This picked up mucho noise but hearing that showed how much shielding actually helps.
I would miss that reverb though...;)
Pardon but, is the effects loop buffered?
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Guitarist wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:16 am I'm just new here so thought to say hello. I've been on Ampage for 15 years or so and it's a good forum as well. I have a Blues Deluxe reissue that I've modded over the years, basically as far as it go. It still doesn't deliver. I've modded a number of amp types over the years mainly around Vancouver but now I live in the country next to the clean and pristine Kootenay Lake in BC.
For many years, I've been fascinated with Dumbles and other amps. So I'm here due to, gladly and thankfully, seeing that you've made a KILLER board! That is so fully cool and enabling for the aspiring player and furrowed-eyebrowed solder alike myself.
Among other things, thanks "Frenchy" for the videos and sorry for your editing troubles. I hope you get your squealing figured. It could be that you're OT wires got reversed so as the amp now gets positive feedback. If I can, I use twisted pair with shield for signal runs (pseudo balanced) or just shielded. Which may sound to be more Dumble-jumbo;) But you seem experienced so likely of these sort of things anyways. I was at a jam recently and a fellow used speaker cable going into an amp. This picked up mucho noise but hearing that showed how much shielding actually helps.
No it's a simple unbuffered effects loop.

There are many different kinds of loops people sell that can tie in pretty easily to any amp, a metro loop etc. One of those might fit the bill. I've not yet tried out the loop to see if I see any specific problems with it. Nowadays many pedals come with a buffer to help combat loss, or you can just use a buffer pedal in your loop as well. Doesn't perfectly resolve the tone suck of a passive loop, but it helps.

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated! :)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:52 am
Guitarist wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:16 am I'm just new here so thought to say hello. I've been on Ampage for 15 years or so and it's a good forum as well. I have a Blues Deluxe reissue that I've modded over the years, basically as far as it go. It still doesn't deliver. I've modded a number of amp types over the years mainly around Vancouver but now I live in the country next to the clean and pristine Kootenay Lake in BC.

There are many different kinds of loops people sell that can tie in pretty easily to any amp, a metro loop etc. One of those might fit the bill. I've not yet tried out the loop to see if I see any specific problems with it. Nowadays many pedals come with a buffer to help combat loss, or you can just use a buffer pedal in your loop as well. Doesn't perfectly resolve the tone suck of a passive loop, but it helps.

~Phil

Phil,

The buffered FX loop isn't the same thing as a buffer in a pedal, it's to do mainly with level matching /gain staging rather than tone loss, although that comes into it as well.

M
xtian

Post by xtian »

If you want reverb or delay, throw a pedal(s) in the loop, no problem, sounds great. (I'm a co-creator of this PCB.)
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

norburybrook wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:55 am
pompeiisneaks wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:52 am

~Phil

Phil,

The buffered FX loop isn't the same thing as a buffer in a pedal, it's to do mainly with level matching /gain staging rather than tone loss, although that comes into it as well.

M
So if I'm understanding that right, a buffer isn't a buffer, unless it's a buffer? :| Someone help me

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Phil, you are correct; a buffer is a buffer, which is a unity gain amplifier that lowers the source impedance of a signal. I think norbury may be confusing a buffer with a recovery amplifier.
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

JazzGuitarGimp wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:56 pm Phil, you are correct; a buffer is a buffer, which is a unity gain amplifier that lowers the source impedance of a signal. I think norbury may be confusing a buffer with a recovery amplifier.
Yes correct, but you don't want a 100Vpp signal coming to the fx loop hit your 9v powered buffer. Poofffffff.....
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

While I see your point, Erwin, I can also state that I have never heard of anyone destroying a 9V powered pedal by using it in a passive effects loop. I can also state that, at lease for the pedals I have designed, a clamping circuit was employed at the input jack to prevent such damage. It’s just good engineering practice. And since it is possible to connect a guitar cable from the speaker output of a 100W+ amp to the input of an effects pedal, which would also make a Poofffff, it just makes sense to include a clamp circuit as it only increases the product’s manufacturing cost by the price of one small resistor and two small diodes.

Cheers,
Lou
Lou Rossi Designs
and Schematic Capture
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

JazzGuitarGimp wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:56 pm Phil, you are correct; a buffer is a buffer, which is a unity gain amplifier that lowers the source impedance of a signal. I think norbury may be confusing a buffer with a recovery amplifier.

Yes, I was really meaning the difference between a buffered loop like a Dumbleator and a buffered pedal. The buffered loop will have level controls . Using the passive loop even with a buffered FX pedal can still cause tonal and level issues, otherwise no one would use a dumbleator or a buffered loop , I Know that using the passive Dumble loop into pedals kills your tone regardless of buffered pedals. :D

p.s. Lou , yes you wont destroy a 9v pedal but they sound like shit without the proper gain staging/matching of a Dumbleator.

M
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

norburybrook wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:45 pm I Know that using the passive Dumble loop into pedals kills your tone regardless of buffered pedals. :D
This has not been my experience.
norburybrook wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:45 pm p.s. Lou , yes you wont destroy a 9v pedal but they sound like shit without the proper gain staging/matching of a Dumbleator.
Gain staging is an important ingredient to getting great sound from any effects processor; it goes without saying. To that end, both preamp channels of the BM have a level control just before the relay that selects the Clean or OD channel, thus allowing for gain staging.
Lou Rossi Designs
and Schematic Capture
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

JazzGuitarGimp wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:02 pm
norburybrook wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:45 pm I Know that using the passive Dumble loop into pedals kills your tone regardless of buffered pedals. :D
norburybrook wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:45 pm p.s. Lou , yes you wont destroy a 9v pedal but they sound like shit without the proper gain staging/matching of a Dumbleator.
Gain staging is an important ingredient to getting great sound from any effects processor; it goes without saying. To that end, both preamp channels of the BM have a level control just before the relay that selects the Clean or OD channel, thus allowing for gain staging.
Lou,

If I could plug FX pedals straight into any of my 'Dumble's' loop and it sounded fine I'd be more than happy. I'm building at the moment and because I want a grab and go without having a Dumbleator I'm having to build it in which is a tight fit :D

Honestly I've tried but passive FX loops don't seem to work for me, I really wish it wasn't so. At low volumes /clean it's OK but as soon as you start on the OD with some gain it all falls apart.

YMMV :D
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Not to derail - but if you can find an old one of these, you'll be a happy camper. Takes the non buffered loop(has level switch on back) and sounds like a champ. With a parallel mixer - even more gooder. Have done many a gig with an ODS and one of these...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

norburybrook wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:11 pm
JazzGuitarGimp wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:02 pm
Lou,

If I could plug FX pedals straight into any of my 'Dumble's' loop and it sounded fine I'd be more than happy. I'm building at the moment and because I want a grab and go without having a Dumbleator I'm having to build it in which is a tight fit :D

Honestly I've tried but passive FX loops don't seem to work for me, I really wish it wasn't so. At low volumes /clean it's OK but as soon as you start on the OD with some gain it all falls apart.

YMMV :D
And your mileage could be a result of the type of effects you’ve got in your loop. For example, if your first processor in the loop is a high-level studio-grade unit, its input impedance could range anywhere from a few thousand ohms to about 100K-ohms. Even at the upper end, 100K-ohms, a passive loop won’t have a low-enough output impedance to properly drive that input to full bandwidth; there will be a noticeable loss in high frequency information. And the lower the processors’
input impedance, the worse the HF loss will be. On the other hand, if the first processor in your loop is a stompbox, it will have a minimum 1M-ohm input impedance, because it is expected to have a guitar plugged into it. And at 1M-ohms input impedance, the HF loss will range anywhere from unnoticeable to slightly noticeable.
Lou Rossi Designs
and Schematic Capture
Guitarist

Post by Guitarist »

The best tone would likely be had by mic'ing the cab and then sending that to delay/reverb and monitoring that blended into your (vocal) monitor. It's just more work and gear.
As is, inserting your unit may cause some loss of highs but any reverb circuit usually has been made rather lo-fi anyways- no lows and darker highs. So that's going for us here.
There are lots of available boards out there if you can fit them in and get them powered. But alas, being a bit of a baby, I gotta have delay at least and played-in rooms add some reverb.

I have hung a rack off the back of an amp but there are some big-signal delays out there. That Yamaha is cool too. I have a TC Electronics ND-1 which can be had for $120 used. It was a rack unit made into a pedal.

'appreciate the fine work making that pcb!