Bruno Super 100

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Aaron

Bruno Super 100

Post by Aaron »

Currently have this on the bench. Owner says that after 15-20 minutes it fades out.
Two things I noticed straight away:
• .1uf input on the phase inverter
• .33uf coupling capacitors
No shortage of bottom end here!

Aaron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aaron

Re: Bruno Super 100

Post by Aaron »

A few more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
talbany

Post by talbany »

Aaron
Super 100 is an exact replica of the Tan Ultrasound MM amp Gene had..Does it look stock to you or were those changes made after Tony built it?
The original was a low plate sky with 25uF on both V1/V2 ..Let me know if you want a schematic of an original,Ill try and dig it out..
US15.jpg
Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Richard1001

Post by Richard1001 »

Are those Bruno amps actualy being sold to people, or is it a home build amp?
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

looks like someone got a glue gun for christmas..... :mrgreen:

M
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

talbany wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:06 am Aaron
Super 100 is an exact replica of the Tan Ultrasound MM amp Gene had..Does it look stock to you or were those changes made after Tony built it?
The original was a low plate sky with 25uF on both V1/V2 ..Let me know if you want a schematic of an original,Ill try and dig it out..
US15.jpg
Tony
Hi Tony,

I was hoping this amp was the Tan Ultrasound but it looks stock and different. This amp is low plate on V1 & 2 but has 25uf on V1 and 4.7uf on V2. Haven't checked voltages yet, but its running NOS Phillips 6L6's as recommended by Ultrasound, so doubt its the high voltage power amp. There's a 25w 500R resistor but am yet to confirm whether its the choke as there's a choke sized transformer chassis mounted?
Preamp switches are labelled Bright, Deep, Rock/Jazz, but the Deep is actually Mid Boost.

More to come!

Aaron

P.S: keen to see the schematic so I don't have to draw one up :D
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Hi Richard,

Apparently they were, I knew previously of the build quality so was keen to see one in the flesh. There was surprises!

Hi Marcus,

Was hoping to catchup with you this year, maybe 2022 :(

Aaron
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Aaron wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:51 pmHaven't checked voltages yet, but its running NOS Phillips 6L6's as recommended by Ultrasound, so doubt its the high voltage power amp. P.S: keen to see the schematic so I don't have to draw one up :D
I'm looking at two HV leads from the PT going into two strings of rectifiers that meet, and a grounded CT... it's not a MM voltage doubler. I would love to see the schematic too ;^)
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Aaron wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:55 pm Hi Richard,

Hi Marcus,

Was hoping to catchup with you this year, maybe 2022 :(

Aaron
Dude!!! indeed :shock:

my brother was coming over this year, had to cancel . Yes lets make another date then 2020 :mrgreen:

M
talbany

Post by talbany »

Aaron wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:51 pm
US15.jpg
Tony
Hi Tony,

I was hoping this amp was the Tan Ultrasound but it looks stock and different. This amp is low plate on V1 & 2 but has 25uf on V1 and 4.7uf on V2. Haven't checked voltages yet, but its running NOS Phillips 6L6's as recommended by Ultrasound, so doubt its the high voltage power amp. There's a 25w 500R resistor but am yet to confirm whether its the choke as there's a choke sized transformer chassis mounted?
Preamp switches are labelled Bright, Deep, Rock/Jazz, but the Deep is actually Mid Boost.

More to come!

Aaron

P.S: keen to see the schematic so I don't have to draw one up :D
Aaron
Yep! that definitely has some funky stuff happening :? and is not a Music man. Doesn't really matter those NOS big bottle Phillips work great in these amps, especially in OD.
Here is what I have. It's a nice set up well balanced w/ plenty of bottom and blooms nicely. I stuck dead on the schematic.Also I have recently run into another MM ODS Original that has the exact same set up so looks like HAD liked this setup in his MM amps since he's built several of them. Let me know if I can help further.

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
mojotom

Post by mojotom »

Thanks Aaron !

How does it sound with those huge caps on output stages ?

I had quite a few Bruno's, none of them were perfect when I looked inside, some were better than others and some were problematic (I got one UG15 wired on tag strip that had issues) but I loved those amps and there're still among the best amps I've played years later.

He did use some funky stuff, various pots, glues but over time I understand a bit of his philosophy and for me these amps have their own sound signature, even if he uses various base designs (BF, plexi, tweed, etc) and that's say something about his work.

It makes me smile at times when I read posts about amps buiders blaming the horrific contruction and layout quality of the Bruno's (some are a mess for sure) as the sound they make quite surpass the build quality. It make me realize a perfectly layout neat amp doesn't mean a better sounding amp. For most of them they were quite neat inside and I got no issues with them, reliability was not a concern.
Still got one running 15 years now and in perfect shape.

Didn't try the S100/D style amps, just one channel amps (Pony, Cowtipper, Tweedie Pie on various configurations).
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I only had a quick play of it, but I usually find the tone controls very dynamic, this amp seemed to have a more mono? sound. Hard to describe, I’ll have a better play of it in the next day or two.
I also have an Underground 30 here for some McLovin

Aaron
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

talbany wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:35 pm Aaron
Yep! that definitely has some funky stuff happening :? and is not a Music man. Doesn't really matter those NOS big bottle Phillips work great in these amps, especially in OD.
Here is what I have. It's a nice set up well balanced w/ plenty of bottom and blooms nicely. I stuck dead on the schematic.Also I have recently run into another MM ODS Original that has the exact same set up so looks like HAD liked this setup in his MM amps since he's built several of them. Let me know if I can help further.

Tony
Hi Tony,
Just finished tracing, definitely resistor choke, the smaller transformer on the chassis is the relay PT.
Will draw the schematic up nice with voltages. The PT in this is a Classic Tone Twin Reverb and the OT is a Mercury Magnetics. Bigger sized iron than the originals.

Aaron
donvan

Post by donvan »

Tony,
Thanks for posting your schematic/layout!
Audiodog

Post by Audiodog »

Tony, this is totally not true. Every S100 I played was not a Music Man. Tony may have pinched values from the tan Dumble, but the s100 is a different amp. I addition, all the knowledge out there regarding what is in the tan Dumble came from me. My friend had the amp that was one serial number different and also a Music Man. It is the low plate Skyline with 25uf bypass caps. We assume the tan Dumble is the same since they are 146 and 147, sisters if you will.... unless of course you have actual knowledge of the tan Dumble. 🎶

Tony
Artist formerly known as DOGEARS