great low volume Dumble amp?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

10thTx

great low volume Dumble amp?

Post by 10thTx »

I've read on the forum for some years about how great Dumbles can sound at a fairly low volume. AND …………… I've read comments about how some Dumble amps get "that" sound when cranked LOUD. I've noted on how many of the Dumble YouTubes, the amps seemed dialed pretty loud to me.

From watching YouTubes on Robben Ford, he seems to get his Dumble set fairly LOUD when he plays. When I saw Sonny Landreth (one of my favorites) with his Dumble, it was just about the loudest concert I've ever been to & I've been attending concerts since the late 60's. It was deafening LOUD. I saw Larry Carlton twice. Once with FourPlay and then Sapphire Blue. He seemed to play at a reasonable concert volume, IMO.

From your experience, is there a particular Dumble that sounds great at reasonably low volumes and perhaps sounds better than the other Dumble serial numbers?

I've got 3 amps and they're 7w, 14w and 23w and they have all the volume I really need. I play the 7w amp the most. I have a hearing loss already and have worked diligently to preserve the hearing I have left.

I don't have a D-style build on the horizon, but somewhere down the line I may build one?

with respect, 10thtx
norburybrook

Re: great low volume Dumble amp?

Post by norburybrook »

Jeff,

Tough question to answer I'd say. I can definitely say that a 2nd gen ODS really needs opening up to sound good IMHO so I'd count that out for sure.

Larry C borrowed my 50w #102 and it sounded fantastic when I saw it in use . It had that bloom and would take off ever so slightly at times into feedback. The venue was very 'dry' and absorbent so it didn't sound that loud. I would imagine if you were in your Kitchen and sat in front of it it might sound loud though.

I think any of the ODS amps from #102 onwards should sound good at a reasonable level but will sound better louder :D

If you're concerned about volume/hearing damage it might be worth investing in a reactive load box/speaker sim like the OX box from UA or I have the 2note Captor X. You plug your amp into that and load speaker IR's of your choice and you can wear a pair of headphones at a comfortable level for you. Your amp can be cranked to wherever you want it :)

just a thought :D

M
Last edited by norburybrook on Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

I like the Low Plate classic models for playing at low volumes. The cleans sound rich and lush even at low volumes.

I am sure many others will chime in with more detailed info for you here.

Cheers!

Guy
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Jeff,

Some models require more volume to open up, interestingly you can put a dumblelator in the loop, set the amp volume at noon and you drive the cathode follower in compression and have the feel of a loud amp. Master volume is the last pot on the dumblelator and for me this works at room levels.

Erwin
jubal81

Post by jubal81 »

No personal experience, but Trinity offers a 22W ODS kit with 6V6s.

https://www.trinityamps.com/product/trinity-osd-kit/

10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Guys, thank you for the replies, information and thoughts about this! I genuinely appreciate it.

With respect, 10thtx Jeff
talbany

Post by talbany »

Jeff
Out of all the D-Style amps I have I would say my Bluesmaster sounds the best down low. However? I did 2 mods that helped it. The first was to put the HRM stack on the front so I can fine tune the tone of the OD section at any volume.
The next is I installed the OD input trimmer on the back ,again to fine tune the gain of the OD section at any volume,
The amp is still relatively lively down low due to the hotter Marshall style PI GNFB setup especially the clean channel so I don't have to crank the amp up as loud to get it to come to life since that little bit of gain on the back end helps..I also prefer a pentode (EL-34) sound a bit more touch sensitive and again lively than say a 6L does at low volumes. So if I'm playing a small room at work and want more overall control over my sound at any vol, I grab my B-Master loaded EL-34

To me low plate amps work better for the clean channel down low and High plates sound better (to me) in OD down low :lol: :roll: The B-Masters sort of split the difference..
Hope this helps

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Thanks Tony! Always value your input.

With respect, 10thtx
Scumback Speakers

Post by Scumback Speakers »

I went with the D-Lite 22/33 kit years ago. That works pretty well.
Scumback - Guitar Speakers That Kick Ass!
http://youtu.be/u6U30BV2kFM
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
www.scumbackspeakers.com
https://www.facebook.com/scumbackspeakers/
https://www.instagram.com/scumback_speakers/
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

I also built a D’Lite kit from Brown Note.
I modified mine some... I think it’s closer to a 102 as far as plate loads and tone stack goes now. It works pretty good at modest volumes. I have always struggled to get a good clean sound and a good OD sound to be balanced. I have the OD trimmer set very low and prefer to use the OD channel as more of a boosted extension of the clean as opposed to a distortion overdrive channel.

I don’t think it sounds as authentic as many of the clips of “real” Dumble circuits (clones)... perhaps, I simply don’t have the talent in my fingers to make it sound authentic—definitely don’t have as much talent as many of you that post clips. I am truly a musical hack, but I will never give up trying.

Most of the time I prefer to play a simpler amp.
j0k3335

Post by j0k3335 »

My FUCHS are not too bad at low volume when I need to play at home ( ODS30 Combo and Triple Drive Head 100W even if I use it at 50W at home removing 2 tubes and changing HP impedance ).

OF COURSE, I must admit that I feel that they need "to breathe a lit bit more" :mrgreen: ... but anyway, again, not too bad at low level :wink:
mtm105

Post by mtm105 »

j0k3335 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:39 pm My FUCHS are not too bad at low volume when I need to play at home ( ODS30 Combo and Triple Drive Head 100W even if I use it at 50W at home removing 2 tubes and changing HP impedance ).

OF COURSE, I must admit that I feel that they need "to breathe a lit bit more" :mrgreen: ... but anyway, again, not too bad at low level :wink:
Same here. I have ODS50. Although I am hung up on Cabs. I've got Tone Tubby Hempbomb. Of course there are many, many suggestions. How EXTREMELY important are speakers with this Amp?? Tone is tone. Sometimes you just have to play. It may be 98% there. I'm tired of adding Cabs. I have way too many. I like my speakers.

Low level took me a while to dial in with ODS50. But I think I've found it. For decades I played through Peavey Duece with 4 EL34s. First time I plugged into ODS, I felt/heard the same power/feel and influence. Big Ballz. On top of Ballz.