Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

PicknStrum

Re: Build Log - #102 - So it Begins

Post by PicknStrum »

I have some final photos for you guys:
IMG_4993.JPG
IMG_4994.JPG
IMG_4995.JPG
The only other thing I might do is change the chassis mounting nuts. I'm currently using these: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... sk1000.php, which say they are for 8-32 but don't seem to match up with my 8-32 screws. The screws do go in but feel like they're stripping, even though they aren't...either way I'd like better system for this. What do you guys use? I've thought about clip nuts but the point where the mounting holes were pre-drilled on this chassis only have about 3/8" inch width to work with, so I need a very low profile nut to fit in that space (if that makes sense).

Also, I may be looking at a few mods / adding HRM to take away some of the brightness in the OD.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me or checked out the thread!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Poison apple knobs!

I got tired of all the crappy options for chassis mounting. Now i use 1/4"-20 stainless screws and riv nuts. This $40 tool does great: https://www.amazon.com/TACKLIFE-Pumping ... 07YSK4VBT/
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

looks great :) #102 is a lovely amp. If I have to chose 1 then I tend to go with the #102 everytime. perhaps it's because I know it the best as it was my first build.

regarding mounting? I've had good results with using cage nuts in the bottom corners of the chassis and long fender type bolts. If the chassis is alloy then it's easy to just file a hole into a square to take the cage nut. this way also gives you a bit more wiggle room with the cabinet hole mounting points too.

enjoy your new baby.

M
PicknStrum

Post by PicknStrum »

Cool - thanks for both suggestions. I'm going to look into both of them. Leaning towards the rivnuts right now but keeping an open mind!

Though I do like the Texas Heat that I have the amp paired with, I did purchase an EVM12L to try out. It was listed as Series II, whatever that means, but from what I can tell it's the same as a typical EVM12L.

There are of course tons of threads I'm going to peruse on speakers here, but anyone done any shootouts between multiple speakers? What are your thoughts - curious to get an idea of direct comparisons, for example: (speaker A) doesn't have as much low end or break-up as nicely as (speaker B).

Otherwise, no worries - I'm going to start sifting through some speaker threads.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I've done quite a few 1x12 speaker shootouts with various ODS amps.

my favourites:

EVM12: solid, neutral speaker, lets the amp shine especially at volume.
celestion Uk Classic lead 80: Joe Bonamassa speaker of choice. fairly neutral sounding ceramic but with the Celestion sound.
Celestion G12-65 UK. Horrible when new. After break in they're similar to the lead 80 but a bit brighter.
Celestion Alnico Cream: Really nice high power alnico (90W) slightly scooped tone but very smooth with a lovely high end.
Celestion 300B: a neo speaker that Quilter use on their Jazz amps. Very very light weight, 300w similar to the EV in some ways on clean but not as nice on the OD. Makes a really nice light weight thiele cab :)
Celestion UK vintage 30: a speaker that is not normally spoken about in regards to ODS amps but I've used it a few times to great results. takes the edge off a bright amp and sounds like a rock celestion speaker should.

if money is an issue then I'd go with a Classic lead 80 everytime with an ODS if I had only 1 choice. If you can find a nice old EVM12 then its a great choice. I really like them and personally it's my go to ODS speaker mounted in a sealed ported cab.

M

p.s. Every guitar tone on this album is done with a #102 and an EVM 12 cab. It's on Apple music/Deezer as well if you don't have Spotify.

https://open.spotify.com/album/22Rwss68 ... BJ3Ulksowg
PicknStrum

Post by PicknStrum »

norburybrook wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:05 pm I've done quite a few 1x12 speaker shootouts with various ODS amps.

my favourites:

celestion Uk Classic lead 80: Joe Bonamassa speaker of choice. fairly neutral sounding ceramic but with the Celestion sound.
Celestion G12-65 UK. Horrible when new. After break in they're similar to the lead 80 but a bit brighter.
Celestion Alnico Cream: Really nice high power alnico (90W) slightly scooped tone but very smooth with a lovely high end.
Celestion 300B: a neo speaker that Quilter use on their Jazz amps. Very very light weight, 300w similar to the EV in some ways on clean but not as nice on the OD. Makes a really nice light weight thiele cab :)
Celestion UK vintage 30: a speaker that is not normally spoken about in regards to ODS amps but I've used it a few times to great results. takes the edge off a bright amp and sounds like a rock celestion speaker should.

if money is an issue then I'd go with a Classic lead 80 everytime with an ODS if I had only 1 choice. If you can find a nice old EVM12 then its a great choice. I really like them and personally it's my go to ODS speaker mounted in a sealed ported cab.

M

p.s. Every guitar tone on this album is done with a #102 and an EVM 12 cab. It's on Apple music/Deezer as well if you don't have Spotify.

Now that's a shootout! I like the way the EVM12L sounds on paper :D And your tone and playing are fantastic! Really liked the lead tone on "I Put a Spell on You" and the intro to "People Get Ready." I assume you're mainly using the telecaster you show on the album cover.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

PicknStrum wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:31 pm
norburybrook wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:05 pm I've done quite a few 1x12 speaker shootouts with various ODS amps.

my favourites:

M

Now that's a shootout! I like the way the EVM12L sounds on paper :D And your tone and playing are fantastic! Really liked the lead tone on "I Put a Spell on You" and the intro to "People Get Ready." I assume you're mainly using the telecaster you show on the album cover.

thanks :) yes the whole album is about 2 or 3 different telecasters. I put a spell on you was the humbucker thinline :) the tele on people get ready is stock with pickups made by a forum member Rog Bentley :D the other main tele had a P90 in the neck and a Seymour Duncan single coil size humbucker in the bridge. Solo gtr track and Tokyo lament were a filtertron telecaster.

The whole album is #102/EVM12 L guitar straight into amp. Reverb and Delay added in mixdown :)

I'm halfway through the follow up album as we speak :)

enjoy your amp, they're a thing of beauty and a joy forever....as Keats said !

M
philbard

Post by philbard »

PicknStrum wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:14 am
EDIT: may have figured something out. I followed the 'adapted layout' for setting up the bias pot which shows a 47k resistor off the bias pot to ground. Talbany's shows a 27k resistor. Wonder if that's my issue. When I get a chance, I'll go back through that area and make sure it's setup like talbany's layout.
Hi PicknStrum,

Really nice build, love the cab! Which layout did you use for it? You mention Tony's but the one I found in the files section for a 102 has a different power board setup than you ended up with.

About to embark on my first build from scratch..

Cheers,
Phil
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

philbard wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:02 pm
PicknStrum wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:14 am
EDIT: may have figured something out. I followed the 'adapted layout' for setting up the bias pot which shows a 47k resistor off the bias pot to ground. Talbany's shows a 27k resistor. Wonder if that's my issue. When I get a chance, I'll go back through that area and make sure it's setup like talbany's layout.
Hi PicknStrum,

Really nice build, love the cab! Which layout did you use for it? You mention Tony's but the one I found in the files section for a 102 has a different power board setup than you ended up with.

About to embark on my first build from scratch..

Cheers,

that is the standard #102 power board. The other option is the Precision power supply.

It's been re jigged by Martin Manning to make it easier for us to make our own boards. See the files section :)

M
philbard

Post by philbard »

norburybrook wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:12 pm
that is the standard #102 power board. The other option is the Precision power supply.

It's been re jigged by Martin Manning to make it easier for us to make our own boards. See the files section :)

M
Thanks Marcus, I had actually downloaded that board layout awhile back, but it was early in my understanding of layouts and I didn't realize it includes both the radial and axial cap configurations. I have boards from Taylor and they match that eyelet config, planning to go with the axial...

Cheers,
Phil
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Phil,

to be honest I've used both standard and precision power supplies and I can't really hear any difference so you can go with whichever is easier to source parts for. High voltage axials are getting harder to find in high values so the radials on the precision are easier to source these days.

good luck with your build. :mrgreen:

M
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Not only are they easier to get, but they've got better ESR and are smaller. There have been huge advancements in this type of cap for a long time to make them fit inside computer PSU's and other smaller sized electronics like TV's etc.

This means they're great for amp use as well. Unless you're trying something crazy like I am and using 600V 50uF metal film capacitors instead :D

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:49 pm Not only are they easier to get, but they've got better ESR and are smaller...
And, since that is where the high-volume manufacturing has gone, cheaper too!
philbard

Post by philbard »

norburybrook wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:42 pm Phil,

to be honest I've used both standard and precision power supplies and I can't really hear any difference so you can go with whichever is easier to source parts for. High voltage axials are getting harder to find in high values so the radials on the precision are easier to source these days.

good luck with your build. :mrgreen:

M
I'm starting to source parts for a 102 100w. The hard part right now seems to be the transformers. Mojo is out of stock on most everything and Heyboeur says to go through them. I don't really want to spend the $$$ for Mercury, have a call in to Magnetic Components. Seems like quarantine has lots of people building amps these days and I guess I'm no exception.
Phil
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

AES also has good stock of Heyboer transformers as well. (tubesandmore.com Antique Electronic Supply)

I bought mine for the dumble modded bassman there.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!