New dumble build, advice?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

libtech

New dumble build, advice?

Post by libtech »

hey guys Im looking at doing my first dumble build, and need a little help selecting a circut I was watching videos to try and pick an amp and really like the second 80s amp in this video, which circut would be the closest to the sound? Thanks!

Maybe the 124 skyline? Id assume the 124 classic would be closer to the first one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl1cOLA4HVs
ijedouglas

Re: New dumble build, advice?

Post by ijedouglas »

I would go for the 124 skyline for a first build as it is probably the best documented and built/tested of the known ODS models. 124 was voiced for a strat but also sounds great with a humbuckers. You also have the option, once built, of experimenting with different configurations (high/low plate) - so you can modify to a 102 relatively easily. Start with the stock layout and try and keep as true to component choice as possible.
Ian
libtech

Post by libtech »

Cool thanks for the advice, I'm thinking that's probably the style of the 80s one in the video?

Also with reguards to the 300uf caps, seems hard to find them sprague or otherwise in high enough voltages, what do most people sub in there, 220uf f&ts?
rootz

Post by rootz »

That 80s amp does not sound like a low plate classic to me. I’d guess high plate skyliner. Sounds better with humbuckers to my ears. I don’t know for sure, but my classic stack amps have more of the sparkle of the 70s amp, but also sound have a bit less prominent mids. The 70s amp sounds more direct to me too: no feedback loop on v1b?

Fwwiw I think a high plate classic works very well for either single coils or humbuckers.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I still always go back to #102 . For me it's a lovely well balanced amp with SC or humbuckers.

you can use radial caps instead of axials if you want or if you're doing a 50w amp you can half the values there or use 220 f&T. If you do a precision power supply then radials are used anyway.

Martins boards in the files section mean you can do either. I've not noticed any difference in sound using classic or precision power supply YMMV however. :mrgreen:

M
libtech

Post by libtech »

I'd definately consider a 102 as well, seems to be one of the most popular builds

So a 124 lowplate skyliner, or a 102, which sounds best with stats? I'm mostly interested in a great clean channel
Last edited by libtech on Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

libtech wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:55 pm I'd definately consider a 102 as well, seems to be one of the most popular builds, which sounds best with stats?
I have built 102/124/183 and 183 is my favorite. I think if you are solely a strat player, the 124 may be a little better suited but as I said before, once you have the amp built, you can play around with the different #s and find which suites you best.
Ian
Abe5150

Post by Abe5150 »

If you like Strat clean tones I think 183 gives a Strat player a whole new palette of sounds to work with.
libtech

Post by libtech »

Well I already have a twin ot and choke so it's going to be a 102 or 124 , I'll probably try and listen to a few clips of each and decide.

So back to the 300uf, I dont have the schematic in front of me what voltage do they see? Would 250v rated caps be good enough? Once stacked like that it should be good for 500v and be about 150uf total?
Chris Brown

Post by Chris Brown »

I would start with 102... it's the epitome of the overdrive special sound. I started with 124 and I love it but the 102 blew me away. It sounds great with any guitar! It is fairly well documented here and it's no more difficult than 124.
▶ YouTube: BirdsnakeBrown
▶ Instagram: BirdsnakeBrown
talbany

Post by talbany »

Here is what i went through :roll:
The 3 most popular are
124=Low plate Skyline
2.Low Plate Classic
3.102=High plate Skyliner

The low plate classic's clean channel would be the most similar to that of a typical Blackface Fender scoop mids sound. This amp also has more of the so called sparkle on the top (low plates) .The drawback in this amp is the overdrive side is also tends to be muddy, so add in the extra gain from the OD tends lose some clarity in the mids and that sparkle turns buzzy at high gain settings.. As long as you don't add an excessive amount of gain, choose the right parts and (keep the NFB V1) it's doable. ..This amp has that popular Strat sparkle we all like.

Low Plate Skyline..Same deal with the Classic except the Skyline boosts the mids, so that takes care of the scooped OD problem that the Classic has but again has the tendency to get harsh/buzzy in OD,therefore harder to get balanced, and if anything makes it more obvious due to the pushed- clear mids from the Skyliner stack...(This is usually the complaints I hear from builders doing a 124) therefore a slightly trickier build, don't go nuts with the drive knob (use NFB V1) you should be able to balance both channels OK. the amp sounds good with both Buckers or Single coils in clean and OD.

102. High Plate Skyliner... The high plates don't suffer as much from a harsh or buzzy OD because they have a flatter frequency response, the drawback here is you lose that all inspiring sparkle we are used to with our low plates.This is the one I favor in OD,it has the clarity of mids along with a smooth overdrive.. Just know that the clean channel is not going to have that scooped mids with the sparkle thing like a Fender and takes a bit of getting used too but after you do, it's hard going back to that typical scooped sound from those early Fenders.

Now there are a few other things you can do like add a deep switch to the
Skyliner to get you closer to that scooped fender sound. the other is to put a switch on V1 NFB so it's less compressed

As a novice beginner i would do a 102, It seems to be less finicky with parts types, better balanced doesn't mind the added gain, works better at lower volumes and therefore an easier build for the 1st time out.
Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
libtech

Post by libtech »

Thanks for taking the time to reply, that was really helpful and as per your descriptions the lowplate skyline sounds like the sound I prefer and I'll go for it just try and match component choices as best as possible thanks! The later more compressed dumble sounds are not what I'm after.

I wanted to do a 1x12 combo, I'm assuming a evm12l classic would be the one to match with this circuit, or would something like the newer celestion redback (as it would be closer to a g1265 tonewise) suit it better?
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

I vote an EVM12L. Try find an old one with original cone. I also really like the EV SRO (coffee can) but those are harder to find
Ian
libtech

Post by libtech »

Ok I figured the 12l would get a better response around here, a fellow offered me a early ceramic sro 12l, dont know much about these speakers, is that the same as the evm12l that came later or different?
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

libtech wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:57 am Ok I figured the 12l would get a better response around here, a fellow offered me a early ceramic sro 12l, dont know much about these speakers, is that the same as the evm12l that came later or different?
I think the SRO ceramic was the transition between the 2 (Alnico to ceramic). I haven't heard one so I'm not much help
Ian