Bonamassa 50W ODS gut shot

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

talbany

Re: Bonamassa 50W ODS gut shot

Post by talbany »

#102 has (or had ) those Black F&T's :D I've also used the Gold Nich's Radials in a few amps floating over the C.bypass resistors 4.7uF and thought the bass response and clarity on those audios was rather nice (better than the new Axl Sprague's). If I am not mistaken the MOV normally goes across the STBY switch. I suppose you could mount it right on the P.S board going too and from the switch and achieve the same results. BTW. Joes Dad was a vintage guitar amp dealer so Joe knows a lot about vintage gear and grew up in that world. Buy a rare piece give it a little star value enjoy it then sell it for a good tax free profit. Not bad as long as you know what you are doing and the market holds up :wink:

It's good to be famous.
Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

He is in deep doo with the IRS for selling the person everything him the corporation bought.

Bursts for a dollar. All hail stupidity.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Reeltarded wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:34 pm He is in deep doo with the IRS for selling the person everything him the corporation bought.

And you know this how ? He seems a bit too smart for that honestly.

As far as the amp goes, it's nice to see it's been serviced/maintained. He's posted a few amps "just back from my tech" that had 40 year old IC filters in it...some people fear messing with the mojo, but that's just stilly.

@talbany, the Nichicon Black Gate's are absolutely f*cking amazing as cathode bypass caps. Nothing I've tried comes close, even bypassing with mica, ceramic, mylar etc....sad they don't make them anymore.....
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

:)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
talbany

Post by talbany »

@talbany, the Nichicon Black Gate's are absolutely f*cking amazing as cathode bypass caps. Nothing I've tried comes close, even bypassing with mica, ceramic, mylar etc....sad they don't make them anymore.....
Yes Andy I remember you mentioning that a while ago about the Black Gates. Have been keeping an eye out but so far no luck on the correct values..Thanks for the reminder :D
but that's just stilly.
BTW.Couldn't agree more!
Tony
Last edited by talbany on Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
bepone

Post by bepone »

in hifi stuff im using elna silmic for cathode bypass like a standard.. so why not also here? idea for the next build :P
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

FUCHSAUDIO wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:47 pm
Reeltarded wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:34 pm He is in deep doo with the IRS for selling the person everything him the corporation bought.

As far as the amp goes, it's nice to see it's been serviced/maintained. He's posted a few amps "just back from my tech" that had 40 year old IC filters in it...some people fear messing with the mojo, but that's just stilly.

Rubycon Black Gates $$$$$$$$$$$? Just browsed Ebay and did see some(4.7uf/ 50v) out of China, I am guessing fakes.
CW
Last edited by Charlie Wilson on Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:07 am
Reeltarded wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:57 pm uhh the amp is the most trashed dumble i have ever seen.. Joe buys deals.. promotes them, and sells them.. he started a group of buyers to play the songbirds scam..

I thought everyone knew this.
Hmmm, what is so trashed about the amp? F&T caps, everybody uses them, radial bypass, they work just the same as axial. The trimmer next to the PI cap is stock and probably 500 ohm. They probably just turned it all the way down and added a pot on the front(to replace the accent switch). I also believe the yellow tubular in the PI is stock, Dumble used those. Not crazy about the added goop, most Low Plate Classics I have seen were not gooped.
CW
Makes sense in regards to the trimmer of the presence! I had never seen those yellow tubular caps, any idea of what they might be?
talbany

Post by talbany »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:19 am
FUCHSAUDIO wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:47 pm

Rubycon Black Gates $$$$$$$$$$$? Just browsed Ebay and did see some(4.7uf/ 50v) out of China, I am guessing fakes.
CW
More than likely rebrands the originals were made in Japan.. I have seen a few NOS floating around but never the right values :roll: I personally do not care if they are Axials or radials? I'll take em!
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

KOOL!
professormudd

Post by professormudd »

talbany wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:27 am More than likely rebrands the originals were made in Japan.. I have seen a few NOS floating around but never the right values :roll: I personally do not care if they are Axials or radials? I'll take em!
Think they are worth $945 a piece? https://www.ebay.com/itm/324179476691?c ... 1&mkcid=28

Holy cow.
-Matt

It may very well be that the sole purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
jcsifu

Post by jcsifu »

professormudd wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:26 pm
talbany wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:27 am More than likely rebrands the originals were made in Japan.. I have seen a few NOS floating around but never the right values :roll: I personally do not care if they are Axials or radials? I'll take em!
Think they are worth $945 a piece? https://www.ebay.com/itm/324179476691?c ... 1&mkcid=28

Holy cow.
Yeah but they threw in the shipping for free so.....that helps :)
Richard1001

Post by Richard1001 »

Maybe a tip. For power caps i use Mundorf MLytic HV.
They sound excellent.

https://www.mundorf.com/en/
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Bombacaototal wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:06 am
Charlie Wilson wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:07 am
Reeltarded wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:57 pm uhh the amp is the most trashed dumble i have ever seen.. Joe buys deals.. promotes them, and sells them.. he started a group of buyers to play the songbirds scam..

I thought everyone knew this.
Hmmm, what is so trashed about the amp? F&T caps, everybody uses them, radial bypass, they work just the same as axial. The trimmer next to the PI cap is stock and probably 500 ohm. They probably just turned it all the way down and added a pot on the front(to replace the accent switch). I also believe the yellow tubular in the PI is stock, Dumble used those. Not crazy about the added goop, most Low Plate Classics I have seen were not gooped.
CW
Makes sense in regards to the trimmer of the presence! I had never seen those yellow tubular caps, any idea of what they might be?
I think it's Roederstein MKT 1813
claptonaddict

Post by claptonaddict »

Does anyone know what sort of transformers Dumble would typically use in his 50W ODS builds? Any idea what might be in this amp?