Standup power trans for 100 watt D-clone

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

EdG

Standup power trans for 100 watt D-clone

Post by EdG »

Hi all, I been looking for a 100 watt Marshall style power transformer for a Dumble clone, since my chassis does NOT have the cutout for the laydown transformer. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good trans that will work for this? Also would there be any benefit using a Marshall style choke over a Fender style? I will be using 6L6/5881.
Thanks!
Ed
Guy77

Re: Standup power trans for 100 watt D-clone

Post by Guy77 »

Hi, I have been using the Hammond 373FX stand up transformer for 100 watt D style builds and love it.
Go big or go home!
LOL just kidding!

Cheers
Guy
talbany

Post by talbany »

EdG wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:27 pm Hi all, I been looking for a 100 watt Marshall style power transformer for a Dumble clone, since my chassis does NOT have the cutout for the laydown transformer. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good trans that will work for this? Also would there be any benefit using a Marshall style choke over a Fender style? I will be using 6L6/5881.
Thanks!
Ed
I've built several 100W with Marshall JCM 800 Replacements ( C.E distribution) aka Antique, as well as others I know here have done the same :D IIRC these were FWB so they ran a little warm but other than that are good sounding transformers and would recommend them. As for the Choke? Not sure it would make that much of a difference in sound so no real opinion there other than the 100w JCM choke is a bit bigger in size which is never a bad thing :D

BTW...One of the best sounding Z mounts i ever loaded on an ODS style chassis was a Partridge off an old Hiwatt DR-103. Big sound with amazing clarity and punch :shock: (I want that amp back!) So if you want to splurdge? and get an off the shelf replacement That's another good choice. (@ 460 VDC)

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
EdG

Post by EdG »

Yes, I'm looking to build a couple D-clones. I used New Sensor years ago to build a D-clone, but I have not seen them in a while. So there are other transformers that sound better it sounds like? I was looking at Twin replacement outputs from Amp Parts Direct, but supply is really low if not at all from my searches... 6L6/5881 power tubes. Again I need the "Stand-up" style transformers. Are there better options for better tone? Please don't suggest Mercury Transformers :)
EdG

Post by EdG »

Thanks for your input Tony! I really appreciate it!
:D Ed
EdG

Post by EdG »

I'm thinking on the lines of the #124 or #102, what are your thought? I like more of the Older Dumble tones, especially with the neck Humbucker. Old School, Robben Ford, Larry Carlton (Cross town kids with Lee Ritenour) Robben Ford, "Inside Story" Lowel Georges Dumble but more early 80's. The later Dumble, seems more Bridge pickup friendly, with more mids etc. I like that too, but need that older Neck Humbucker tone :)