Which Dumble to build?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

MarkB

Which Dumble to build?

Post by MarkB »

I have a Bassman head that I'd like to use for a Dumble build. With the different schematics it difficult to know where to start. Any suggestions for a basic Dumble build that get's the classic sound, but without all the bells and whistles?
Bob-I

Re: Which Dumble to build?

Post by Bob-I »

MarkB wrote:I have a Bassman head that I'd like to use for a Dumble build. With the different schematics it difficult to know where to start. Any suggestions for a basic Dumble build that get's the classic sound, but without all the bells and whistles?
Start with the Hybrid-A. Great sound with enough bells to make it interseting but not overwhelming.
Normster

Post by Normster »

Yup, Hybrid-A, then tweak to taste.

Here are some pics of the two conversions that I did.

http://bad-domain/LorensSFBM/LorensBassman.htm
http://bad-domain/NormsSFBM/Mutant%20Bassman.htm

The Bassman is actually a really easy amp to convert. Note that both of these use the extra tube for reverb. In retrospect, I wish I had used the tube for a Dumblator.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Where did you get those knobs? There's no room for normal knobs in the input jack holes.
Normster

Post by Normster »

Those are EDP knobs (p/n 45KN024) from Mouser. They're .93" diameter but I elongated Normal channel #1 input jack hole to make room. You pretty much have to do that anyway to use 24mm pots. As an alternative, you can use 16mm pots and smaller knobs. (That's what Andy Fuchs does when he mods a Bassman.)
tonelab2

Post by tonelab2 »

Wow! Very neat, clean work. What push/pull pots do you use? where do you get them?
Normster

Post by Normster »

tonelab2 wrote:Wow! Very neat, clean work. What push/pull pots do you use? where do you get them?
Thanks. :) Those are just Alpha pots (313-1601-100k, 250k, 500k) from Mouser. They only have them in linear taper so you may need to use the 100k for a mid pot.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

AES has 250K and 500K audio pots.
Icetech

Post by Icetech »

Norm.. what is the deal with a dumblator? i thought its just a line in/line out.. but guys seem to be talking like its the holy grail now?
Normster

Post by Normster »

I guess it depends on whose tone you're trying to cop. ;)

My reason for wanting a Dumblator is a bit more practical. I've found that I prefer digital reverb over spring reverb for OD tone. I have a nice rack effects unit that only works in a powered (buffered) parallel loop. It just doesn't respond to a passive serial loop for some reason.
dobbhill

Post by dobbhill »

Many effects units require a low impedance source to drive the input, as they have a low imp. input~10k or so. A simple unbuffered line out is severely loaded down by that, which affects tone in a very negative fashion. The recovery stage of the Dumbleator is not as critical but can allow you to use pedal level effects after the preamp.
HTH, D