Looking for warmth

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rutledj

Looking for warmth

Post by rutledj »

Well, I don't know if it is my amp ('stock' non-hrm 50w), my guitar (Washburn HB 32, 335 clone) or my pu's (duncan antiquity neck, Gibson paf pro bridge) but I can't seem to get a "warm" sound in clean mode.

My reference is Larry Carlton's tone I'm hearing on his 335 Blues course. His guitar has a warmth to it that I can't seem to match. I can get somewhat close when I turn the mid up to about 2 o'clock, bass at noon, and treble at 9 o'clock.

Perhaps I just need a '68 335?
stelligan

Re: Looking for warmth

Post by stelligan »

What speaker(s) are you using? Have you tried rolling off your volume at the guitar? Do you have anything in the loop? Have you tried OD with no PAB and the gain turned below 9 0'clock? You can also get a very pleasing OD "clean" tone from a non-HRM. I would try some of those things first. Sometimes just a length of guitar cable in the loop adds a touch of smooth.
keithrick

Post by keithrick »

I would try reverb and delay first. But what I did is lower the plate/cathode values for V1.

BTW- Don't forget that any amp takes time to burn in and it will sound better(hopefully) after around 20-30 hours.

FWIW-Like Gil, I like the Fender plate/cathode for clean sounds but I think I settled on 150/120 and 2.2K/1.8K cathode with 10uf bypass caps.
Normster

Post by Normster »

I think the warmth you're hearing may be the OD channel, not the clean channel. (Sorry, I haven't heard Larry's 335 Blues course, but I seldom hear him use the clean channel.)

Try setting the input volume and OD gain fairly low, just enough to warm up the cleans. Use a light pick attack. It's a great tone once you dial it in. (Check the latest clip in my "mic'ing closed back cab" thread. Maybe a bit more OD than needed but it still has a clean "feel" to it.)
rutledj

Post by rutledj »

Listened to the clip. Still not quite what I had in mind. Wish I could find a clip that demonstrated it.

Speaker is an Eminence Delta Pro. I'll try the od channel

Thanks,
Rut
phsyconoodler

Post by phsyconoodler »

I have a friend who says that his guitar with the Duncan Aniquities is not great with his ODR that I built him.All his other guitars are great.The duncan pickups are suspect.
Crystal latice or vacuum,that is the question.
rutledj

Post by rutledj »

Well the bridge pu (Gibson PAF Pro) sounds quite nice. The neck (Antiquity) isn't my favorite sound. You would think, this supposedly being just like the real thing, it would do ok.

I just don't have the dough to go through a bunch of pu's looking for "the tone". If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Rut
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

Lindy Fralin
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
JimiB

Post by JimiB »

Lindy Fralin
+4
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

rutledj wrote:Well the bridge pu (Gibson PAF Pro) sounds quite nice. The neck (Antiquity) isn't my favorite sound. You would think, this supposedly being just like the real thing, it would do ok.
Why is that? The "real thing" pickups pre-dated Dumble amps by a few decades. Modern humbuckers are quite different in their design and response.
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

Duncan antiquity's are "lacking" overall IMHO.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

This may be a silly question. How many guitars have you tried with the amp? Do you have - or have friends with 335's, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles? Can you get this Washburn to get a pleasing warm sound with your other amp(s)? I have always had good luck with Gibson '57 Classics.

P.S. Everyone needs a '68 335.... :)
rutledj

Post by rutledj »

I misspoke. The Gibson 57 classic plus is what I have in the bridge. I like it pretty well. I used to have a 57 classic in the neck (before I had a Dumble clone) and didn't care for it. Perhaps I should try it again.

I have tried a strat through the amp and as I stated in another thread, the cleans are very nice, lacking some on the OD channel.

The other amp I have is a Mesa Boogie Mark II clone thay I built. The cleans sound good here but the semi-hollow body is still lacking on this amp also.

Rut
novosibir

Post by novosibir »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:Duncan antiquity's are "lacking" overall IMHO.
:shock:

An interesting standpoint!

I'm very pleased with the Antiquity humbuckers in one of my guitars.
I've swapped also some different boutique PU's in the guitar (Hamer Archtop Custom from '93), but again and again decided for the Antiquities. Altough haven't tried it in a Les Paul yet.

Larry
Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery