Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

LooseChange

The Junkyard-D'

Post by LooseChange »

Hi Guys,
I call it my Junkyard-D.
It's re-build. I replaced the preamp in one of my amps with a ODS circuit (far from a clone layout). I used the board I had and just rewired for the circuit. Currently it's in OD only (no switching yet).

The neat thing is it's got a parallel loop and a Fender reverb built in.

See the picture... The smaller board (bottom right) is the ODS circuit.

It sounds great (although I do have some questions).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Structo

Re: The Junkyard-D'

Post by Structo »

Very creative! :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
LooseChange

Post by LooseChange »

Question about the tone controls:
I tried the Bass mod which made the bass control and PAB not very effective.
I changed it to not the bass mod but the midrange does not work with the bass turned down. Not very useful.

What seems to be the best tone control option?
Structo

Post by Structo »

What schematic did you follow for your build.
I removed the bass mod on my D'Lite and like it much better.
The mid control is pretty subtle I will admit.
But they all kind of work together.
If you back down the tone controls the PAB will boost more.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
LooseChange

Post by LooseChange »

I am using the ODS - non hrm schematic without the bass mod.
It appears the MID control does not do much, if anything, when the BASS control is full off. I do have the MID cap as a 47n but I have noticed the ODS has a 10n. Will this make much of a difference?

I did notice how the tone controls effect the PAB switch.
Last edited by LooseChange on Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
LooseChange

Post by LooseChange »

I guess I am used to the Fender style tone controls. This tone control works a lot different.
LooseChange

Post by LooseChange »

Here I am again posting to myself... Sorry guys, it's just not a clone but IS the circuit. Here is an update...

I played the amp with the switching and found to get a good clean or OD sound I had to compromise the other sound. IMO It appears the best Dumbles have footswitchable (PAB and BRIGHT) stuff to compensate for these compromises when switching. This is why I went with OD all the time.

The sound is fantastic! With all the controls dedicated to the OD channel, I find I have LOTS of control over the tone. It's great! Got that SRV sound and the RF tone pretty easily.

I did not tweak the circuit too much. No bass mod, 220k/150k plates on both "channels". I put what I thought would be critical to the tone in the similar places like the grid stops and snubbers.

I have another tube socket available and two holes for pots so I'm going to build in a tweed clean channel and I'll work out the switching for that.
dogears

Post by dogears »

What the heck is this bass mod? Who "made" it up? There is only one way to wire the bass control.... Two lugs connected via PAB relay and then the ground. When in PAB, the lugs disconnect. That is it....
LooseChange

Post by LooseChange »

I only learned this studd by looking at the published layouts and schematics.. Here is a snip from two layouts. The one on the right comes from a layout that is labeled BASSMOD.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ayan

Post by ayan »

dogears wrote:What the heck is this bass mod? Who "made" it up? There is only one way to wire the bass control.... Two lugs connected via PAB relay and then the ground. When in PAB, the lugs disconnect. That is it....
This the genesis of the bass mod: Billy Yates had put together a D'Lite, maybe a year plus ago? Anyway, I went to check it out and it sounded good but very thin to me. I took a look at the chassis and told Billy that the bass pot was permanently wired in "jazz" mode. Billy soldered piece of wire between the CW lug and the wiper... That's what's called the bass mod.

Gil
dogears

Post by dogears »

I thought that may have been it.... The mod is actually a fix to correct an error. Not really a "mod" so to speak.... However, the PAB will not quite be right if the two lugs are connected.
ayan wrote:
dogears wrote:What the heck is this bass mod? Who "made" it up? There is only one way to wire the bass control.... Two lugs connected via PAB relay and then the ground. When in PAB, the lugs disconnect. That is it....
This the genesis of the bass mod: Billy Yates had put together a D'Lite, maybe a year plus ago? Anyway, I went to check it out and it sounded good but very thin to me. I took a look at the chassis and told Billy that the bass pot was permanently wired in "jazz" mode. Billy soldered piece of wire between the CW lug and the wiper... That's what's called the bass mod.

Gil
ayan

Post by ayan »

dogears wrote:I thought that may have been it.... The mod is actually a fix to correct an error. Not really a "mod" so to speak.... However, the PAB will not quite be right if the two lugs are connected.
IIRC, the amp Billy had did not have a boost. I am not sure what's in a D'Lite but needless to say, if there is a boost in them now, a permanent wire on the bass pot screws that up magnificently. :)

Gil
dogears

Post by dogears »

I believe that since then they have installed PAB and relay ;)
ayan wrote:
dogears wrote:I thought that may have been it.... The mod is actually a fix to correct an error. Not really a "mod" so to speak.... However, the PAB will not quite be right if the two lugs are connected.
IIRC, the amp Billy had did not have a boost. I am not sure what's in a D'Lite but needless to say, if there is a boost in them now, a permanent wire on the bass pot screws that up magnificently. :)

Gil
ayan

Post by ayan »

dogears wrote:I believe that since then they have installed PAB and relay ;)
ayan wrote:

Gil
So, the 'lite is getting heavier, uh? ;)

Gil
LooseChange

Post by LooseChange »

I didn't like how the tone controls worked with that jumper, so I removed it. I found the PAB worked better after that too.

I am having a great time setting that trimmer at the entrance to OD1. Every time I settle with a setting, I find a better one! Maybe I should have put it on the front panel.