Ceriatone Overtone Special gut pics

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ayan

Re: Ceriatone Overtone Special gut pics

Post by ayan »

Rob Livesey wrote:Here's the resistor I'm talking about. Nik said they did use 158k for a while, but that they are all 150k now.

I don't find the Overdrive harsh, it's aggressive yes, but in a very good way. At first, before the mods, it was all a bit too much, the amp is much more controllable now. Regarding harshness, you really need to go through different speakers and cabinets to get the right combination.

Like I said in the Technical Forum, I just picked up a Boogie cab with an EVM12L (one of my favourite speakers) and it really does sound harsh with the amp. The Fuchs cab I have with the same speaker sounds really sweet.

Rob.
Rob,

Just a couple of comments that may benefit you. The slope resistor may yield a sweeter tone if you use a carbon film type. As for thr Dale RN resistors, for whatever reason Dumble never used them in either the cathodes or the PI plates... Paul (our mutual friend, and your almost neighbour ;)) mentioned to me years ago that the RNs should be used sparingly. Something for you to try, provided you continue to tweak the amp -- is there any way to not continue tweaking? :D

A cab can make or break a sound! Boogie open back 1x12s cans are front loaded, which may or may not be the best match for an EVM 12L and a Dumble type of amp. And Boogie's Thiele cabs always, while rear loaded (I think), sounded harsh to me. Carlton's 1x12 is a front loaded, infinite baffle cab and yet, sounds great... Go figure. :)

Cheers,

Gil
wbfree

Post by wbfree »

ayan wrote:
Rob Livesey wrote:Here's the resistor I'm talking about. Nik said they did use 158k for a while, but that they are all 150k now.

I don't find the Overdrive harsh, it's aggressive yes, but in a very good way. At first, before the mods, it was all a bit too much, the amp is much more controllable now. Regarding harshness, you really need to go through different speakers and cabinets to get the right combination.

Like I said in the Technical Forum, I just picked up a Boogie cab with an EVM12L (one of my favourite speakers) and it really does sound harsh with the amp. The Fuchs cab I have with the same speaker sounds really sweet.

Rob.
Rob,

Just a couple of comments that may benefit you. The slope resistor may yield a sweeter tone if you use a carbon film type. As for thr Dale RN resistors, for whatever reason Dumble never used them in either the cathodes or the PI plates... Paul (our mutual friend, and your almost neighbour ;)) mentioned to me years ago that the RNs should be used sparingly. Something for you to try, provided you continue to tweak the amp -- is there any way to not continue tweaking? :D

A cab can make or break a sound! Boogie open back 1x12s cans are front loaded, which may or may not be the best match for an EVM 12L and a Dumble type of amp. And Boogie's Thiele cabs always, while rear loaded (I think), sounded harsh to me. Carlton's 1x12 is a front loaded, infinite baffle cab and yet, sounds great... Go figure. :)

Cheers,

Gil
I am still sussing out the mods you guys are doing because I am not a tech, I probably will play with this thing for a bit, But would like to source the parts, Mouser is good? 1 watt resistors?, trimmers brand make a difference? I will reread all this you all have probably mentioned all this, sorry if redundant. I am not really knowledgeable so I have to be literal until I understand.

My Altec 417 8c speaker sounds really good with my Ceriatone, I have a celestion heritage series g12-65 but have not tried it yet.
jakeddy

Post by jakeddy »

I'm not having the best luck finding the snubber caps either. Can anyone share a good source?
Jake
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

jakeddy wrote:I'm not having the best luck finding the snubber caps either. Can anyone share a good source?
Snubber caps are the caps located on pre amp tube v2.
If you take a look from the back of the amp in the overtone, it's the 2nd tubesocket on your right. 500v ceramic probably will do the job.
jakeddy

Post by jakeddy »

not in the amp. not finding a sorce to buy them.
Jake
Structo

Post by Structo »

You can't find ceramic disc caps?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!