Schematic Posted

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

glasman

Schematic Posted

Post by glasman »

I posted the schematic in the files section (in it's current form) for the Rev-A-Loop.

Gary
Located in the St Croix River Valley- Afton, MN
About 5 miles south of I-94
aka K0GWA, K0 Glas Werks Amplification

www.glaswerks.com
Funkalicousgroove

Re: Schematic Posted

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

Thanks, that is just what the DR. Ordered!! I've been working on that very same idea myself, but if yours is tried and works then I'll just build a Glasworks!
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
glasman

Post by glasman »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:Thanks, that is just what the DR. Ordered!! I've been working on that very same idea myself, but if yours is tried and works then I'll just build a Glasworks!
If nothing else it is a good start to experiment with for future toys.

Now to see if I can add Vibrato!

And it is WERKS :D

Gary

www.glaswerks.com
ElectronAvalanche

Post by ElectronAvalanche »

Hi Gary,

thanks for sharing the schemo.

I will try the paralleled recovery section on my ODS75W. I still have two gain stages and too much noise and gain because of that!

Concerning ground loops:

I think I will need to approach the grounds in my amps a bit more scientific. My 100W ODS is dead quiet, but the 75W ODS has some nasty hum.

My Vibroverb clone has a bit more hum than I like albeit I got rid of the Fender grounding scheme (random grounding as Kevin O`Connor calls it).

I will definitely tackle a Reverb A Loop in the near future.

Have you thought about putting a Mix control into the device to be able to use the Loop either parallel or in series?

Cheers,

Dominik
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

Thx a bunch Gary.

Now... if it just had a Magnatone type tremolo too :wink:
Luthierwnc

Post by Luthierwnc »

Can't help with the Magnatone trem but many moons ago I built a stand-alone trem using the brown Fender (G-A) trem. This was the last one before Fender started using the roach. The tremolo uses five triodes so the sixth was used to create the line signal. It is a complicated circuit but is really cool sounding. Basically it is a high-low band pass so you get different wobbles at different frequencies. With a pot on the first stage I also got a welcome bit of gain when the trem was bypassed.

I sold that one with plans to make it into a combination OD and reverb box but never followed through. The issue was whether to run it in parallel or series with the reverb and/or how to drop it completely out of the circuit for the more usual case of not needing it. In looking at Glasman's schematic it looks like it could be tied in at the FX send/return with a relay. The Fender "G" trem only uses two 12AX7s so it might be possible to pull the driver off the plate of the input triode and only bump the tube count by two. Fender has the patents for the trem circuits. I don't know if they are still in effect but, of course, this is a purely theoretical discussion.

FWIW, Skip
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

glasman wrote:Now to see if I can add Vibrato!
I've always been interested in trying to duplicate the Magatone true Vibrato. My understanding is that by modulating different frequency ranges at different speeds it fools the ear into thinking it's pitch modulating. A friend had one of these amps in the 60's and it was an awesome sound.
glasman

Post by glasman »

Bob-I wrote:
glasman wrote:Now to see if I can add Vibrato!
I've always been interested in trying to duplicate the Magatone true Vibrato. My understanding is that by modulating different frequency ranges at different speeds it fools the ear into thinking it's pitch modulating. A friend had one of these amps in the 60's and it was an awesome sound.
Yup, they definately had a unique sound. I think it is the amp of choice for Lonnie Mack. You can really hear it in his recordings.

Gary

www.glaswerks.com
Luthierwnc

Post by Luthierwnc »

I looked into cloning a Magnatone 280 back when. The hitch was that a repairman who specializes in those amps had cornered the market on the diodes they used. I would be interested in knowing if someone has come up with an alternative or if the supply has freed-up.

That is a true vibrato or pitch shifter. Trems just alter the volume.

Skip
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

Luthierwnc wrote:I looked into cloning a Magnatone 280 back when. The hitch was that a repairman who specializes in those amps had cornered the market on the diodes they used. I would be interested in knowing if someone has come up with an alternative or if the supply has freed-up.
That stinks. I've read that it's hard to find the right parts, plus it takes more than 50V on the bias to drive them.
That is a true vibrato or pitch shifter. Trems just alter the volume.

Skip
Not exactly. It's actually a trick on the ear. They modulate the highs on a different phase than the lows and it sounds like vibrato even though it's actually just tremolo.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Gary,
Thank you for sharing your newest project with us! Liked the sound clip demo as well.
v00d00blues79

Post by v00d00blues79 »

Gary,

question on the PT that you used. What was the voltage on the secondaries?

Thanks,

Andy
glasman

Post by glasman »

v00d00blues79 wrote:Gary,

question on the PT that you used. What was the voltage on the secondaries?

Thanks,

Andy
I don't have my notes with me here in Holland, but as I remember it it measured about 580v CT. Anything that will deliver 400Vdc or so will work. The Hammond Flat packs with a voltage doubler would be fine for this circuit. Currect requirements are minimal.

Gary

www.glaswerks.com