Question on V1 bypass caps

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

markmalin

Question on V1 bypass caps

Post by markmalin »

Hi guys,

Just for the heck of it I thought I'd try 25uf/50v bypass caps on V1. I did this, but because it takes so long to swap them, it's not really easy to A/B them. To me it seems like I have more lows, and I can't tell if I've altered the O/D at all by doing this. Any thoughts on what I should expect to hear?

Thanks,
Mark.
"...there are flying v's and then there are the ones shaped like peanuts..." - my son at age 9

Malin Amplification - Boutique Amps
www.facebook.com/MalinAmplification
@MalinAmps
dogears

Re: Question on V1 bypass caps

Post by dogears »

You definately can hear more lows by going to larger bypass caps. I have seen as high as 25uf on V1a and V1b. Only with the 100K plates though. I have never seen bigger than 5uf with the higher plate loads. They have more bottom anyway since the cathode resistors are larger.

It does effect the OD based on my expoeriments.
tubedogsmith

Post by tubedogsmith »

I notice the difference in OD tone the most when using the neck pickup on a humbucker guitar. The sound is a lot "buzzier" sounding on the low notes. The bigger cap lets more lows through.
markmalin

Post by markmalin »

Thanks guys. Yah, I did this with the 150k and 220k plate load resistors. Rats... I only have a 180K and a 120k Vishay/Dale on hand. Is it worth swapping these in to at least lower the plate load resistors because of the 25uf bypass caps I put in, or maybe it would be best to put the 5uf and 10uf caps back in for now until I get some 100k V/D resistors? I have to admit, I don't like the O/D as well, though I like the bassier clean tone.

Thoughts?

Mark.
"...there are flying v's and then there are the ones shaped like peanuts..." - my son at age 9

Malin Amplification - Boutique Amps
www.facebook.com/MalinAmplification
@MalinAmps
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

dogears wrote:YI have never seen bigger than 5uf with the higher plate loads.
Maybe in real dumbles! What about the d'lite redux? Thought that v2b was 10uF. Only the v2B coupling cap is 0.02uF in the redux version.
dogears

Post by dogears »

I had been experimenting with using a 10uf just on the second triode of V1 in high plate amps. I mentioned it to Norm and he tried it and decided to go with 10uf on both. I thought it got a little buzzy with the 10uf on the first stage. Subsequently I have been digging the Dumble standard .05uf coupler and 5uf on both stages.
erwin_ve wrote:
dogears wrote:YI have never seen bigger than 5uf with the higher plate loads.
Maybe in real dumbles! What about the d'lite redux? Thought that v2b was 10uF. Only the v2B coupling cap is 0.02uF in the redux version.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

dogears wrote:I had been experimenting with using a 10uf just on the second triode of V1 in high plate amps. I mentioned it to Norm and he tried it and decided to go with 10uf on both. I thought it got a little buzzy with the 10uf on the first stage. Subsequently I have been digging the Dumble standard .05uf coupler and 5uf on both stages.
Thnx! I'll keep that in mind for my grail tone search :D