A couple T-Dogg Clips

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

glasman

A couple T-Dogg Clips

Post by glasman »

Here are a couple of clips my son Travis "T-Dogg" put together tonight. I thought they sounded pretty good and thought I would share. He is 17 and has played about 3 years.

The guitar is a Epiphone Sheraton, amp Glaswerks SOD50, 4x12 Cabinet with Emi Wizards. Guitar straight into the amp. Travis calls the amp "The Hulk"

[img:111:150]http://www.glaswerks.com/cabinets/412greent.jpg[/img]

Thanks to Marin and David Henderson for some cool backing tracks.

http://glaswerks.com/media/tdogg/tddrivin.mp3

http://glaswerks.com/media/tdogg/tdrevelation.mp3

Let me know what you think.

Gary
Located in the St Croix River Valley- Afton, MN
About 5 miles south of I-94
aka K0GWA, K0 Glas Werks Amplification

www.glaswerks.com
Sammas

Re: A couple T-Dogg Clips

Post by Sammas »

so...

...who else is feeling rather inferior now? :oops:

nice stuff :D
Normster

Post by Normster »

You and I seem to suffer the same affliction, Gary...17 year old sons who kick our musical a$$es! T-Dogg rocks!!! He's got a great melodic sense for being so young and such a new player. Nice to know that we have worthy progeny to inherit our gear, eh? LOL

Here's the kind of crap I have to put up with at home (my son practicing for jazz band, Tele into Dumble clone).
http://bad-domain/MP3/Andrew/demo/AndrewsJazzPolice.mp3
glasman

Post by glasman »

Very very cool clip Norm.

Yes, the youngsters have a great advantage over us. The internet brings everything to their door.

I just bought the Epi Sheraton for myself and I have not seen it since it got home. :D. So I think they start acquiring as soon as a new toy hits the front door.

Gary

www.glaswerks.com
Harris

Post by Harris »

As Sammas said...feeling very inferior at the moment. At the ripe old age of 43 and 20+ years of playing, I'm pretty sure I couldn't have pulled that off as well. The playing and tone are just awesome. I have had my new build up and running for just over a week. I can't seem to get that level of compression in my tone. Dogears gave me a lot of suggestions and I've followed his instructions. Helped a bunch. However, my build is still a bit ragged on the top end, but if I take out the top end, the tone sucks. Anyway, its a long way to ask this question; I read that it was recorded guitar straight into amp, but I was wondering if you added a bit of delay after it was recorded. I don't specifically hear any delay, but the tone is SO fat!
glasman

Post by glasman »

Harris wrote:As Sammas said...feeling very inferior at the moment. At the ripe old age of 43 and 20+ years of playing, I'm pretty sure I couldn't have pulled that off as well. The playing and tone are just awesome. I have had my new build up and running for just over a week. I can't seem to get that level of compression in my tone. Dogears gave me a lot of suggestions and I've followed his instructions. Helped a bunch. However, my build is still a bit ragged on the top end, but if I take out the top end, the tone sucks. Anyway, its a long way to ask this question; I read that it was recorded guitar straight into amp, but I was wondering if you added a bit of delay after it was recorded. I don't specifically hear any delay, but the tone is SO fat!
The only effect was a little bit of extra reverb at mixdown.

He has tried the amp now with Tele's, Strats, the EPI and his Les Paul and they all sound great. The amp has an odd ball tone stack. Mid cap is a .047uf, bass is a .1uf and a 330pf disc (no boost). The controls are 250K Treble, 250K Middle and 500K bass. Caps are all PS series, carbon film plate resistors (1W) and metal film for the rest.

Originally the amp did not have the FB on CL2 and that was recently added to the amp. By adding the FB and lowering the supply rails down a bit the amp went for OK sound to a totally different beast.

Gary

www.glaswerks.com
dogears

Post by dogears »

Did you use a dropping resistor off of the last resistor in the string? Hang a 150k to 180k to ground. Shoot for around 200V on the preamp plates.

Also try about 150k and a .001uf cap to ground from V2b plate. Should tame things.

Lastly, up your CL2 grid bypass cap to a measured 500pf. That is what the man used.

Oh, measure your treble pot. The stack sounds really nice if you are on the high side. Add a small resistor either at the input lug or at the output lug to get the total size up to about 265k. I "think" I hear it.... Just try and report back.
Harris wrote:As Sammas said...feeling very inferior at the moment. At the ripe old age of 43 and 20+ years of playing, I'm pretty sure I couldn't have pulled that off as well. The playing and tone are just awesome. I have had my new build up and running for just over a week. I can't seem to get that level of compression in my tone. Dogears gave me a lot of suggestions and I've followed his instructions. Helped a bunch. However, my build is still a bit ragged on the top end, but if I take out the top end, the tone sucks. Anyway, its a long way to ask this question; I read that it was recorded guitar straight into amp, but I was wondering if you added a bit of delay after it was recorded. I don't specifically hear any delay, but the tone is SO fat!
dobbhill

Post by dobbhill »

Dogears:
The 150k/0.001uf combo at the plate of V2b: is this for non-HRM? Also, to make this a variable thing, do you have values to recommend?
Thanks, D
llemtt

Post by llemtt »

glasman wrote:By adding the FB and lowering the supply rails down a bit the amp went for OK sound to a totally different beast.
Hi Gary

In search for the grail tone I am currently studying the effects of pre supply voltage and my current opinion is that lower cathode resistors (i.e. 100/1.5k) in V2B coupled with lower supply voltage is the way to go, as you said "a totally different beast".

btw what are your current voltages? (I am leaning towards 300 305 max)

Teo
glasman

Post by glasman »

llemtt wrote:
glasman wrote:By adding the FB and lowering the supply rails down a bit the amp went for OK sound to a totally different beast.
Hi Gary

In search for the grail tone I am currently studying the effects of pre supply voltage and my current opinion is that lower cathode resistors (i.e. 100/1.5k) in V2B coupled with lower supply voltage is the way to go, as you said "a totally different beast".

btw what are your current voltages? (I am leaning towards 300 305 max)

Teo
Actually the supply rail for Clean is about 320 volts. Plate was about 205 as I recall. I should have written them down, but I was getting tired at that point. I had spent about 4 straight hours swapping parts and tweaking under the watchful eye of my son.

Gary

www.glaswerks.com
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

Gary:
You must be very proud. Like others here, admitted or not, I have "played at" the guitar for many more years than your boy has been alive. I'm going to go to work seriously now. Or so I say.

Give him a high 5 for me.

Dan
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
oldmacman

Post by oldmacman »

3 years of playing? Damn!

Seems like he's got a good handle on his sustain and his technique, and he's definitely got a great ear.

Now all he has to do is get down the connecting lines and he's there.

And of course the tone is stellar. :wink:
tonelab2

Post by tonelab2 »

Great tone and even greater playing from someone so young :shock:
glasman

Post by glasman »

Thanks guys for the comments. I will let Travis know about the comments. I have been trying to get him to join a few of the forums to have a little fun. I would bet that he has been reading this thread.

I did see that last night he had set up to do more recording against backing tracks. Maybe we will see some more T-Dogg clips in the future.

Gary

www.glaswerks.com