Mayer on Conan

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

hairyandy

Re: Finally a JM performance I liked...

Post by hairyandy »

FuzzFaceBuilder wrote:On the floor there's a Klon, TS10, some (white/tan) Boss pedal, and a blue ______, and some other stuff.
I'm pretty sure that's a Boss tuner, A TS10 (probably still one of Stevie's), a Klon and I think the blue pedal is a Way Huge Aqua Puss. It sure looks like a AP and when he steps on it at the beginning of the solo he's stepping on a delay which is what an AP is.

Interesting story on the TS10: Stevie used a TS10 A LOT---pretty much all of the tour and record for 'In Step'! He used 808s early on but soon switched to 9s and 10s when they came out. JM uses a few of Stevie's TS10s that belong to Rene his tech who was also Stevie's tech.
Structo

Re: Mayer on Conan

Post by Structo »

I finally watched the video.

I've heard people call that Monterrey strat the John Mayer strat.....lol

The neat thing about the video is that it is in HD. I hadn't seen that before on YouTube.
I've seen the HQ which is a little better.
So he takes an old Mamas and Poppas song and jazzes it up with his guitar. :roll:

I have to say his playing was pretty sloppy even for him.

The John Mayer Trio.

Here are some screen shots of his pedals.

[IMG:651:427]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b392/ ... pedal2.jpg[/img]
[IMG:692:469]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b392/ ... Pedals.jpg[/img]
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
talbany

Post by talbany »

I Bought a TS 10 when they first came out.. a good one.... Used that pedal on about 1000 gigs...It was slightly boxier sounding than the 808 but was smoother creamer and the sweep on the tone control was mo better than the 08's... My pedal board got ripped off a few years back.. ever since Iv'e been trying out a bunch of used ones and have not found one as good...
Bought a reissue 08 and used it a few times and sold it...The landgraff is the closest I've come but ain't paying 500 bucks for a pedal...I've never been in one but from people I've spoke with say its a variant of the 808-TS9 but buffered on both sides....input and output.....

I love this board.. NO Sympathy!! If you ain't up there throwin down.... we ain't impressed!!

Tony VVT
UltraHookedOnPhonix

Post by UltraHookedOnPhonix »

I'm pretty sure the blue box is a Way Huge Aqua-Puss analog delay.

Personally, from a listeners standpoint, this music goes in one ear and out the other but if I were to put on my musician hat, I can appreciate his competence on the instrument.

***UPDATE***
I just saw that hairyandy posted on it being an AP, sorry about that...
hairyandy

Post by hairyandy »

UltraHookedOnPhonix wrote: ***UPDATE***
I just saw that hairyandy posted on it being an AP, sorry about that...
No problem UHOP!

:D

Andy
hairyandy

Post by hairyandy »

talbany wrote:I Bought a TS 10 when they first came out.. a good one.... Used that pedal on about 1000 gigs...It was slightly boxier sounding than the 808 but was smoother creamer and the sweep on the tone control was mo better than the 08's... My pedal board got ripped off a few years back.. ever since Iv'e been trying out a bunch of used ones and have not found one as good...
Bought a reissue 08 and used it a few times and sold it...The landgraff is the closest I've come but ain't paying 500 bucks for a pedal...I've never been in one but from people I've spoke with say its a variant of the 808-TS9 but buffered on both sides....input and output.....

I love this board.. NO Sympathy!! If you ain't up there throwin down.... we ain't impressed!!
Tony VVT
Hey Tony,

Try building this:

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main. ... e.gif.html

It's my stripboard layout of the Landgraaf. It's a WHOLE lot cheaper than $500 to build yer own and it sounds amazing!

:P

Andy
den58

Post by den58 »

Now if he could just stop making "baby crapping his diaper" faces.
Too funny and perfect description, but come on that face is too much. When the face distracts the viewer/listener, how good is the playing--or how bad is the face. I haven't seen this clip yet, I'm going from the Crossroads stuff, where my wife said to me, "Don't make faces like that when you play."
Dennis
jelle

Post by jelle »

Or instead of looking for a TS10...go get yourself a Geekscreamer by Geekmacdaddy.

I LOVE mine. :D
hairyandy

Post by hairyandy »

jelle wrote:Or instead of looking for a TS10...go get yourself a Geekscreamer by Geekmacdaddy.

I LOVE mine. :D
+1!!! Baddass pedal by a baddass Geek!

Andy
talbany

Post by talbany »

Hey Tony,

Try building this:

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main. ... e.gif.html

It's my stripboard layout of the Landgraaf. It's a WHOLE lot cheaper than $500 to build yer own and it sounds amazing!
Thanks Andy... Yeah I need to build this when I get time!!!

Tony VVT
brucedrennen

Post by brucedrennen »

John just posted this on his twitter:

Steel String Singer #002

All day I will be posting pics that are guaranteed not to interest 1.2 million people. Rejoice!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dom
chris_sanford

Re: #002

Post by chris_sanford »

brucedrennen wrote:John just posted this on his twitter:

Steel String Singer #002

All day I will be posting pics that are guaranteed not to interest 1.2 million people. Rejoice!
Thanks for all the responses guys! SL, I don't have a high-def rig like yours to look at the clip, so cut me some slack, ok? ;)

chris
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

I bought a TS10 15 years ago, because I couldnt afford an old TS9 or TS808.

I didn't like the sound of the TS10 much, untill I modded it to TS808 specs. IMHO.

I guess you are all victim to misdirection. You suddenly all like the TS10 because om John Mayer is playin the sucker.

Buy a T-REX alberta instead - that genuin tubescreamer sound at a decent price. 8)
Structo

Re: #002

Post by Structo »

brucedrennen wrote:John just posted this on his twitter:

Steel String Singer #002

I have heard about Twitter but don't know a thing about it.

How do you find what JM is posting?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
drew

Post by drew »