Ripper clean channel w/ Megaplex OD...

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dr. who

Ripper clean channel w/ Megaplex OD...

Post by dr. who »

Amp Insider with Brandon Montgomery: The Dumble Zone
"BM: There are 4 basic voicings of the clean channel. Classic, Skyliner, Bluesmaster, and the Ripper. There are also a few different overdrive circuits. The Standard, HRM (Hot Rubber Monkey), and another more obscure circuit known as the MegaPlex. I believe The MegaPlex circuit really only exists in the Ripper model...The MegaPlex also has internal tone controls but is more closely voiced to a Marshall circuit. Hence the term, MegaPlex as in a Plexi Marshall amp."

I would love more information, or some links to clips-
Funkalicousgroove

Re: Ripper clean channel w/ Megaplex OD...

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
Tavda3172

Post by Tavda3172 »

SICK!
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

Wow... :shock: ...I love those tones. I want one of those badly.
dano-rator

Post by dano-rator »

My first thought was - "I bet Hendrix could have fun with that thing!"
Thanks for the links!
Funkalicousgroove

I was very surprised to find a very marshall Like Overdrive in an Overdrive Special.

I guess there is an amp that is also called a "Megaplex" however, I also understand that this is one that is for rent only from Alexander.
ayan

Post by ayan »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:I was very surprised to find a very marshall Like Overdrive in an Overdrive Special.

I guess there is an amp that is also called a "Megaplex" however, I also understand that this is one that is for rent only from Alexander.
Hey Funk,

Judging by who the player is and the sound, the clip seems to be the clean channel cranked, maybe with (his padded) PAB on as well. To me, that may just be the greatest sound to come out of a BM-like amp, i.e., clean cranked.

Gil
Funkalicousgroove

I would totally agree with that! However, Rick told me a couple days ago that LC has been using the OD on the amps I've built him!!
fabiomayo

Post by fabiomayo »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:I would totally agree with that! However, Rick told me a couple days ago that LC has been using the OD on the amps I've built him!!
8)
'This is so cool I have to go to the bathroom!' Calvin
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:I was very surprised to find a very marshall Like Overdrive in an Overdrive Special.

one of my tonequest/vtg guitar mags show a dude that OWNS one, he says it is very hi gain, il look it up..

jim
Funkalicousgroove

I recently learned of 2 that are "Owned" by folks, I am always intersted to know who!
Robert

Post by Robert »

Irregardless of which channel Larry's playing with in the clips they are some of the best Dumble tones I've heard as well. Stellar job Brandon!!!

Robert
jim

Post by jim »

I must agree, that's one of the best guitar sounds that I've ever heard from anybody ever.
butwhatif

Post by butwhatif »

So is it the direct coupled stage of a plexi marshall, replete with tone controls
in place of the classic od of an ods ? Snubbers or no ? Demeter built an amp like this, and with an non-marshall clean channel front end they sound pretty cool. I've messed with one of these, and got a great sound out of it.
sidehatch

Post by sidehatch »

I have to say it but for the record , I have deen disappointed with Larry's playing and tone for the past sevral years-even the dumble years.

I saw him down in Dallas TX for the first crossroads festival and I was very dissapointed. He had the dumble but he wasn't playing with any "sack" as I call it. My Idol Pat Metheny was growing more pissed as time went on because he was to follow larry. As time would have it, Pat only got to play one tune.

Seriously, I *almost* had wrote Larry off , thinking his time of kick ass tone was over. I still have his REH video where he plays the valley arts guitar and his dumble and while he plays well on there, to me its not the same as him on fire with his 335.

So after listening many years of being so-so with Larry's playing and tone( Im 35 now) I stopped seeking out Larrys concerts and records.

Well... Someone on TGP posted thes two video's that Brandon posted in this thread.

Larry has the Idealized dumble tone to me. When I have thought about teh D tone for years, this is the tone I pictured in my head whether larry or Robben had it or not.

Its simply the perfect idealized D tone.

I think that larry is so inspired by that sound that he is playing with "sack" again!.

Brandon, I'm seriously impressed dude!

I have finally relaized that it doesn't have to say Dumble on it to have the perfect tone. I think what you and guys like Henry at redplate do is taking that tone to a whole other level!!!

Great Job!!