The Dumble at lark street????

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

FUCHSAUDIO

Re: The Dumble at lark street????

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Honored for you to say that Bob, thanks.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Is that true that he is going to have TR clone it?

So he clones it then sells the Dumble for enough to cover the clone.

Does anybody have an ethics problem with that?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
ayan

Post by ayan »

Structo wrote:Is that true that he is going to have TR clone it?

So he clones it then sells the Dumble for enough to cover the clone.

Does anybody have an ethics problem with that?
Hi,

Tag indicated he would consider having those guys do some simple tweaks to the amp. My thinking is that if he does, it may hurt the resale value of the amp, provided it is still unmodified -- which would be rare these days. There are very few people that can go through and amp and lot leave their footprints behind, and I don't believe those folks would fall in that category.

If that amp goes there, rest assured that it will be gone over, and if it is all it's cracked up to be, I would suspect that we would hear later how the company has outdone itself -- yet once again -- and developed a new amp, etc., etc. I am not being facetious here, that is pretty much what I have observed over the years. However, as far as the ethics issue you bring up, I don't believe them cloning the amp would be any different than any one of us doing the same... and for goodness sakes, we all do. Furthermore, as far as giving 100% credit to Dumble for the amps, I think out of all the production cloners out there Brandon would be the only one who is brutally honest about it. Of course, he happens to also be the only one who has adhered to Dumble's blueprinst most faithfully. Perhaps because of that, or other cosmic reasons, he happens to someone to whom all fabled Dumble owners (and there are only three, OK? LC, RF and Santana... SRV is no longer with us and the rest of the folks who own/have owned those amps don't quite have the same statuts -- although some, as in Joe Bonamassa's case, can outplay just about everyone else on the "A" list) have come to get their next amps. :)

Gil
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I have gone back to the beginning posts for Dumble and SSS and what I have found is that several people were given inside information and pictures of real Dumbles and then did not pass that info on to rest of the Ampgarage builders.

I was told if I had truely gone back and read everything then I should already know what makes up a Dumble.

For a few to share among themselves, built their Dumble amps, and not share. Now that is wrong.
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Unfortunately, what began as a friendly little club of tweakers and Dumble fans, became a free engineering resource for way too many people that were more than willing to take, and not willing to give anything at-all. These people started, ran (or worked for) commercial companies that actually began to bite the hands that fed them. While I'm sure many pro's and semi-professional manufacturers peek in here from time to time, there are few that contribute anything. This eventually made this place very one sided.

As an example: One former poster here, now runs the Peavey custom shop, making D-clones for the masses, and from what I've seen, got the circuits and many of their tweaks from here. Did he ever pop in here and thank anyone, or pass along some tidbits ? Nope. Based on his posts, it seems he was learning, so perhaps he didn't really have anything to offer.

Ceriatone produces D-clones, as well as Trainwreck and Fender inspired (or cloned) amps as well. There are surely others. Many of Nik's products used direct information taken directly from this website. Notice the absence of any posts from Nik providing any circuit information ?

It wasn't a matter of people using data obtained here in the beginning, until the people who provided some of the data began to realize what was going on. Would you blame anyone who makes their living (or a part of it), to discover anything and want to throw it into the shark tank ?
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

FUCHSAUDIO wrote:Unfortunately, what began as a friendly little club of tweakers and Dumble fans, became a free engineering resource for way too many people that were more than willing to take, and not willing to give anything at-all. These people started, ran (or worked for) commercial companies that actually began to bite the hands that fed them. While I'm sure many pro's and semi-professional manufacturers peek in here from time to time, there are few that contribute anything. This eventually made this place very one sided.

As an example: One former poster here, now runs the Peavey custom shop, making D-clones for the masses, and from what I've seen, got the circuits and many of their tweaks from here. Did he ever pop in here and thank anyone, or pass along some tidbits ? Nope. Based on his posts, it seems he was learning, so perhaps he didn't really have anything to offer.

Ceriatone produces D-clones, as well as Trainwreck and Fender inspired (or cloned) amps as well. There are surely others. Many of Nik's products used direct information taken directly from this website. Notice the absence of any posts from Nik providing any circuit information ?

It wasn't a matter of people using data obtained here in the beginning, until the people who provided some of the data began to realize what was going on. Would you blame anyone who makes their living (or a part of it), to discover anything and want to throw it into the shark tank ?
Well put Andy, well put.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Yes I see your point very clearly and so noted.

I will continue to read the radiotron handbook and other information to better educate myself.

Thanks guys.

Mark
ayan

Post by ayan »

M Fowler wrote:I have gone back to the beginning posts for Dumble and SSS and what I have found is that several people were given inside information and pictures of real Dumbles and then did not pass that info on to rest of the Ampgarage builders.

I was told if I had truely gone back and read everything then I should already know what makes up a Dumble.

For a few to share among themselves, built their Dumble amps, and not share. Now that is wrong.
Based on my personal experiences in my life, the expectation of anything is naive, or at a very least a set up for a let down. Not to say that Mother Teresa of Calcutta didn't exist, and she probably did more for others than she did for herself. However, there's simply nobody like that around here and that is a fact.

I am not sure what to read from your post, but it sounds to me that you are not happy with the way things are or aren't shared around here, and you think that's wrong. I don't think I am an asshole, nor am I trying to be one, but I can't help wonder if would be the kind of person that would walk out of a restaurant, after having enough to eat, and if you ran into someone panhandling you go back inside and buy the person a meal just like the one you had.? Rhetorical question, of course.

Anyway, there is a wealth of information here. Some people have shared a great deal and have stopped because they feel it's not in their best interest to continue to do so. Many more have soaked all they could and have never shared a damned thing -- and some even have the nerve to whine about how others have "stolen knowledge" from the forum... yes, we could use a supply of mirrors so that some could have a good look at themselves. Last but not least, others still share very happily. There are a few threads (you will have to do a little work and find them) about amp #124 in which you will find enough pictures and information -- provided by the many people who contributed to those threads -- to build yourself the best Dumble clone amp ever. For what it's worth, there wasn't anything remotely close to the pictures of #124 when some of us built our first Dumble clone amps 10 years ago. The pictures are still up where I put them a few years ago:

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g159/ ... mview=grid

Cheers,

Gil
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

M Fowler wrote:Yes I see your point very clearly and so noted.

I will continue to read the radiotron handbook and other information to better educate myself.

Thanks guys.

Mark
Absolutely:

That's where all the amp DNA came from: Fender, Marshall, Dumble,
Mesa, etc. Tone is in the fingers, so let your fingers do the walking..... :lol:

IT'S IN THERE !!!
txbluesboy

Post by txbluesboy »

Ayan, Thanks for posting that photobucket link! I hadn't seen all those pics together before.
Terry
briane

Post by briane »

Would you blame anyone who makes their living (or a part of it), to discover anything and want to throw it into the shark tank ?
Well said andy.

I personally appreciate all that is shared. Nothing is free, nothing is to be expected, thus all the info is extra, more than was available in the past.

Personally I consider andy's statement to also apply to those of us who are non-commercial, but feel through hard work we have discovered (or re-invented) something that is valuable, and would be lifted, then mass produced and marketed, ourselves of course never seeing any benefit.

I spent over 2 years coming up with my version of the SSS. The only thing that would really upset me is if someone cloned that amp. I just worked too hard on it.

I think this is why (myself included) you dont see any preliminary schematics of SSS clones. We know once their posted some company will take the drawing and release their own line, and we just aint gonna have that, unless were involved.
it really is a journey, and you just cant farm out the battle wounds
Tavda3172

Post by Tavda3172 »

That's where all the amp DNA came from
All of the amp DNA came from New Jersey! (RDH was published in NJ) Makes me proud...
-Kevin
NJ native
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

I steal from everybody and this forum is no exception, but every amp I make has a schematic clearly posted on the inside of the cabinet (just like the old Ampeg's) so I'm clearly not trying to hide anything even though I do a few things differently than the "standard" clone schematics available on this site. I don't have a selfish bone in my body and if I could do it and still pay my mortgage and keep my wife happy, I'd make an amp for everyone on this site who contributed to my production amp designs. I have PM'd my schematics to several members here to help them with their tone search and asked them not to share just to slow down the Nik's of the world from improving his product at my expense. I would never fault anyone for holding something back, even if the only thing they're hiding is "mystique".
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Les Paul put it pretty well:

I'll show you how to build a great guitar, just not mine....

There's enough data online for more than a few people to have fun and get into trouble.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Gil,

One can take my post in many different ways you took it the wrong way, so be it. I'm not the kind of guy that gets unhappy. I'm a Marine so I'll adapt and overcome building my amps and having fun. Sure it will take me longer than you brainiacs to come up with my SSS, hopefully it will be a good playable amp.

Unhappy or upset, no way. This is the most fun I have had in many years, I now get a chance to do what I love building amps and playing guitar. I am guilty of wanting more information, not to commericalize or capitol gain, but rather to learn.

I did have your link and looked at those quite a while back, thanks.

Mark