Manzamp!

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ic-racer

Re: Manzamp!

Post by ic-racer »

I had a break in the Manzamp activity because some JBL 4311B speakers came up on Craig's List. I had to have these but they were pretty beat up so I spent a week fixing them up. I'm listening to them now... (before and after pictures)
[IMG:663:768]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ ... ile-10.jpg[/img]
[IMG:768:1024]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ ... file-1.jpg[/img]
"You feel like you're floating on a football field filled with marshmallows." -Dumble
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

I had a pair of the consumer version (L100) back in the day. Brings back find memories!
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

ic-racer wrote:I had a break in the Manzamp activity because some JBL 4311B speakers came up on Craig's List. I had to have these but they were pretty beat up so I spent a week fixing them up. I'm listening to them now... (before and after pictures)
Hi IC, Those are great speakers. I remember audiotioning them and other JBL's in local HiFi stores back in the day. Those speakers even had a particular smell. Sweet.

If you want to upgrade them toward a moderne highend sound, checkout this crossover kit: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JBL_L100.htm

I know the guy who makes them. He's the Danish Howard Dumble of HiFi speaker crossovers :-)
Diva or not? - Respect for Mr. D's work....)
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

bluesfendermanblues wrote:
ic-racer wrote:I had a break in the Manzamp activity because some JBL 4311B speakers came up on Craig's List. I had to have these but they were pretty beat up so I spent a week fixing them up. I'm listening to them now... (before and after pictures)
Hi IC, Those are great speakers. I remember audiotioning them and other JBL's in local HiFi stores back in the day. Those speakers even had a particular smell. Sweet.

If you want to upgrade them toward a moderne highend sound, checkout this crossover kit: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JBL_L100.htm

I know the guy who makes them. He's the Danish Howard Dumble of HiFi speaker crossovers :-)
Thanks for the link. Lots of good info there.
The JBLs made my workshop speakers seem weak, so I also did an upgrade on those with a new crossover and some cabinet mods.
[IMG:1024:768]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ ... ile-37.jpg[/img]
"You feel like you're floating on a football field filled with marshmallows." -Dumble
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

No pictures yet, but the 9 pin tube sockets are in. I got the front panel switches sorted out and the fuse holder is in. Very close to starting to connect the dots with wires and finish it.

Although it looks like the power supply is fully integrated into the PC board, actually the last 3 nodes are separated by wires that jump across and under the PC board. This is nice because I like to power it up in stages, so I can lift those connecting wires to do that.
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

Wiring the AC cable and on-off switch. All day job. Very tedious in the close space.
[IMG:1024:768]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ ... ile-66.jpg[/img]
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

I'll start posting pieces of the schematic as I go.
[IMG:481:203]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ ... Cinput.jpg[/img]
oldmacman

Post by oldmacman »

I know you're trying to be faithful to the original build, but if you're going to keep the line-to-ground cap, you should really use one rated Y2 that's designed to fail open. Mouser has them for less than a dollar (p/n 80-PHE850EB5470MB14).
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

oldmacman wrote:I know you're trying to be faithful to the original build, but if you're going to keep the line-to-ground cap, you should really use one rated Y2 that's designed to fail open. Mouser has them for less than a dollar (p/n 80-PHE850EB5470MB14).
Thank you for the link.
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

Starting to wire the EL34 sockets:
[IMG:1024:768]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ ... ile-70.jpg[/img]
Structo

Post by Structo »

Man, that is one crowded chassis!

Is it the same size as the original?

Can't wait to hear what you think of this amp once you power up. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

Structo wrote:Man, that is one crowded chassis!

Is it the same size as the original?

Can't wait to hear what you think of this amp once you power up. :D
Scaling from the picture could be as much as 1/2" off. It seem like it needs another 1/2" of height. However, the 'standard' available sizes of aluminum stock in the next size is much bigger overall and thicker. Yes, Dumble may have had a special piece machined, but that seems odd. If one were to do that, why not put ends on it and use thinner material? Also, it could be that in the 1980s there was a larger selection of standard extruded aluminum sizes.
reproduction transformer does take up more space in the chassis.

It looks like the original Manzamp has the PT slightly off center and I figured it was to have more room to wire the Rectifier tube, but after wiring it I'd rather have more room by the switches. So, if I were to do another I'll center the PT in the chassis.
Last edited by ic-racer on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

Post by Mark »

When were the Manzamps built?

You're right about the extrusion it is hard to know if there was a standard size and if this size is still used today.

The question I ask myself is, "was a chassis available when the Manzamp was built?"
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

Mark wrote:When were the Manzamps built?
Based on the yellow resistors and the Manzamp listing in the 1990 Dumble price list, I put it in the 1980s. The Music Man speakers are from the 1980s also, I believe.
Manzamp = $8,500 express service
SSS = $8,500 express service.
ODS Head = $5,150 express service.

Something about the Manzamp made him price it the same as the SSS.