More coax talk

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Structo

Re: More coax talk

Post by Structo »

Yes it would be good to experiment with it to see what sounds best.
I'm too lazy to change it out for something else.

I never did measure the wire I got from Apex Jr.
It is the white teflon, silver plated.
I think it is 20 gauge.

Well I measured a 13 ft piece and came up with 35pf/ ft.

Not sure what it would measure if I cut a one foot piece but I imagine it is 30-35pf/ ft.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
ER

Post by ER »

On my early style build I'm going to try some left over lengths of Bill Lawrence cable, 20pF/foot. I use it for all my instrument cable and loop runs and it sounds good so I'm thinking what the heck for a few lengths inside the amp.

I always used solid light gauge enamel wire for my speakers and a hi-fi buddy was laughing about them (he had those big gold plated $$$$ welding cables cut as short as possible) and was telling me how that was superior and I asked how many feet of solid wire was in his output transformer and speaker coils compared to his 6' of jumper cables and how that would make a difference.

I like to run apples with apples when I can. We'll see how it works out.

-E
David Root

Post by David Root »

I have used several different coax in the last few years.

Currently using MIL-C-17 RGU-142 which has a solid copper, silverplated 18 ga conductor and a thick dielectric. About 30pF/ft. It is OK for short runs across the chassis but too big for four or five long runs a la Dumble, at least not in a smaller chassis. It's almost as big as a video cable.

In my 183 I used some coax I got from Jelle Welagen, also about 30pF/ft for the long runs and the RGU-142 for the short runs. I also have some similar looking (but not identical) to Jelle's that I got from Brandon a couple of years ago, and two different coaxes from Apex Jr. IIRC they all run about 30 pF/ft.