1973 Odyssey Concert Deluxe #015

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Aaron

Re: 1973 Odyssey Concert Deluxe #015

Post by Aaron »

talbany wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:55 am Cool! :D Thanks for the Pics!
Anyone up for doing a schematic! :lol:
Also, who knows what tube is in V1

Tony
https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... sey+layout
talbany

Post by talbany »

Max wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:46 pm
talbany wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:55 am what tube is in V1
AFAIR the usual tube complement of an original Odyssey is V1 = 12AU7; V2 =12BH7 ; V3 - V6 6L6GC. E. g.: http://www.amparchives.com/folder/2533/ But - for whatever reason - these pictures of #015 probably show a (misplaced?) 12BH7 in the V1 socket.

Cheers,

Max
Thanks, Max..Yeah the BH should go down by the power tubes kind of confused me :?
Looking real quick at the differences between the Concert Deluxe and other Oddessy's we have seen. Although they are basically the same amplifier it looks like this one is set up to operate a bit cleaner than the others. Do you know if he had several different types of Oddesys one for say set up for a musical instrument extension amplifier and another to function more like PA amplifier? or if he just modified this particular one on request for the customer? Just curious

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Max

Post by Max »

talbany wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:50 am Looking real quick at the differences between the Concert Deluxe and other Oddessy's we have seen. Although they are basically the same amplifier it looks like this one is set up to operate a bit cleaner than the others.
Tony, which technical differences do you refer to?

All the best,

Max
talbany

Post by talbany »

Comparing The Concert Deluxe to Aaron's Schematic/layout I see

1k8 RK (cathode resistor ) vs 820 ohm on the LTP Schmitt phase inverter
2k2 RK (cathode resistor)vs 820 ohms on the BH7 Driver tube
4k4 vs 4k7 GNFB resistor
The other thing I see is the Concert Deluxe has no (1 meg) impedance resistors on the inputs. Just the input level control.

However looking over the previous pictures you posted here https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18976
Due to the quality of the shots, it is hard for me to confirm the values I listed in the Concert Deluxe are consistent with the other Oddessy's

BTW.The shots you posted is all I have as well that show the inside of the Oddessy 8)

So the question remains unanswered? Is the "Concert Deluxe" a particular model name for the Oddessy series designed for some other use in mind? or were they all called Concert Deluxe's?
Thanks Again!
Tony
Max

Post by Max »

talbany wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:25 am Comparing The Concert Deluxe to Aaron's Schematic/layout I see
4k4 vs 4k7 GNFB resistor
Here https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 6&start=15 Aaron wrote in regard to this schematic:
This is based around Odyssey 012, not a 100% clone. I couldn't make out all the values, so I used some values from the time period. Mostly the resistor values in the P.I. and driver.
and later in the same thread:
I forgot to mention that I have updated the schematic to the suggested values for the P.I. 20k and 17k instead of 10k and 4k7 on pins 1 and 6
So the reason for these differences between this schematic and the pictures of Odyssey #015 reported by you might be, that some values in this shematic are based on best guesses and assumptions etc., and not on the real values of real Odyssey amps?
talbany wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:25 amIs the "Concert Deluxe" a particular model name for the Oddessy series designed for some other use in mind? or were they all called Concert Deluxe's?
All I've seen (personally and/or on pictures) are labelled "Odyssey Concert". #015 ist the only one I remember with the label "Odyssey Concert Deluxe". And I've no idea what the "Deluxe" label means in regard to the technical specs of #015.
talbany wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:25 am... designed for some other use in mind?
AFAIR: Most Odyssey amps I know of (with the exception of the very first ones built for the Odyssey club) have been used by guitar players (e.g. Eric Johnson on stage and in the studio in combination with the preamp of his SSS and in combination with his Manzamp preamp; Kevin Dukes used 2 Odyssey Concert amps on stage and in the studio mounted in his rack).

Cheers,

Max
talbany

Post by talbany »

Max wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:19 am
talbany wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:25 am Comparing The Concert Deluxe to Aaron's Schematic/layout I see
4k4 vs 4k7 GNFB resistor
Here https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 6&start=15 Aaron wrote in regard to this schematic:
This is based around Odyssey 012, not a 100% clone. I couldn't make out all the values, so I used some values from the time period. Mostly the resistor values in the P.I. and driver.
and later in the same thread:
I forgot to mention that I have updated the schematic to the suggested values for the P.I. 20k and 17k instead of 10k and 4k7 on pins 1 and 6
So the reason for these differences between this schematic and the pictures of Odyssey #015 reported by you might be, that some values in this shematic are based on best guesses and assumptions etc., and not on the real values of real Odyssey amps?
talbany wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:25 amIs the "Concert Deluxe" a particular model name for the Oddessy series designed for some other use in mind? or were they all called Concert Deluxe's?
All I've seen (personally and/or on pictures) are labelled "Odyssey Concert". #015 ist the only one I remember with the label "Odyssey Concert Deluxe". And I've no idea what the "Deluxe" label means in regard to the technical specs of #015.
talbany wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:25 am... designed for some other use in mind?
AFAIR: Most Odyssey amps I know of (with the exception of the very first ones built for the Odyssey club) have been used by guitar players (e.g. Eric Johnson on stage and in the studio in combination with the preamp of his SSS and in combination with his Manzamp preamp; Kevin Dukes used 2 Odyssey Concert amps on stage and in the studio mounted in his rack).

Cheers,

Max
Thanks allot Max!
So let's ignore Aarons Schematic/Layout and for now assume it is incorrect and go straight to the shots and see what we find. The 2 pics that best show the values of the Oddesy are these 2.
UmbleOdyssey00012 (1).jpg
o0600045013854811249.jpg
The difference I see in these 2 are?
1. Grid bias resistors 12K (standard) 22k (Deluxe)
(A higher value grid resistance affects the bias current in the tube due to voltage drop in turn, increase's the plate current. Under heavy loads, this can, of course, affect headroom if both amps used 6L6 type power tubes.
2. 12BH7 cathode resistors 1k2 (standard) 2k2 (Deluxe) This sets the bias/operating point of that tube.
3. Cathode resistor in the LTP Schmitt 1k5 (Standard) 1k8 (Deluxe).
The other thing I see is the dropping string in these 2 amps are different however do not know if his use of power transformers in these 2 amps are the same?
So I guess in the end we don't know for sure what the "Deluxe" Connotation refers to huh?
BTW
IMO it would be best to update the schematic to Deluxe specs since we have more info on this amp and less guessing. The schematic still has these values incorrect
RCA input 100k not 68K
820 ohm in LTP
On BH7 10K not 17K
no 68K grid or 1M impedance resistors on input ?
SCHEMATIC.jpg
Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

I am wondering if a 50W version of this would work with 2x 6L6?

Or does it need the higher current of the 4x 6L6 in 100W to be able to drive the power tubes?
dbeasley

Post by dbeasley »

I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

dbeasley wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:04 pm I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it :D