Steel String Singer - SP118 Inductor

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Steel String Singer - SP118 Inductor

Post by pompeiisneaks »

martin manning wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:33 pm Can a guitar speaker reproduce those frequencies?
The EVM 12L that dumble was fond of, also has one of the more neutral sounds of a guitar speaker, so I hear, has a range of 80hz to about 7kHz, but it's usable frequency range ends more around 4kHz. The articles linked are talking about stuff above 20kHz... so I'd wager no? The datasheet: https://products.electrovoice.com/binar ... 329439.pdf does show it tank down pretty hard about 5k all the way down to about 10k I think, and then it slightly starts climbing back up a bit. but the peak of that level climb is about 80db They don't go much pasth 20kHz so maybe it does climb up there but nobody bothers to measure above that?

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

My question I pose is can those inaudible frequencies , not reproduced by the speaker, modulate the audible frequency spectrum?

Most HIFI audio equipment does not reproduces the 50khz output from the record, Or the even higher sampling rates used in digital recording, but opinions still maintain this HF content is preferable to tonal quality .

We know at the very least that ultra sonic high frequencies , and extremely low frequencies , can hinder an amplifiers performance and quality of tone in more than a few ways. It would stand to reason that just because we can’t hear it doesn’t mean it’s not having an impact somewhere upon the audible results .

In one of the studies presented above , the sound system used only has a frequency range of 48hz -22khz , utilizing a digital low pass frequency at 20 kHz to remove high frequency content for the experiment.

According to the other study they actually utilized a sound systems with a flat response up to 100khz and actual speaker crossover systems , at least what they say( maybe I misunderstood) , so for now it’s the first study I mentioned that would seemingly support the theory.
Charlie
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Food for thought.

http://recordinghacks.com/articles/the- ... ond-20khz/

And from the previously posted study :

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 00093/full

“High-resolution audio with inaudible high-frequency components is a closer replication of real sounds than similar and indistinguishable sounds in which these components are artificially cut off. It remains unclear what kind of advantages high-resolution audio might have for human beings. Previous research in which participants listened to high-resolution music under resting conditions have shown that alpha and low-beta EEG powers were larger for an excerpt with high-frequency components as compared with an excerpt without them (Oohashi et al., 2000, 2006; Yagi et al., 2003a; Fukushima et al., 2014; Kuribayashi et al., 2014; Ito et al., 2016). The present study asked participants to listen to two types of high-resolution audio of the same musical piece (with or without inaudible high-frequency components) while performing a vigilance task in the visual modality. Although the effect size is small, the overall results support the view that the effect of high-resolution audio with inaudible high-frequency components on brain activity reflects a relaxed attentional state without conscious awareness.“
Charlie