Gil Ayan tone cut control for non HRM amps.

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dogears

Re: Gil Ayan tone cut control for non HRM amps.

Post by dogears »

Gil, this has nothing to do with fondness. The fact, and it is a fact, is that there is no difference between using a 250k and 500k pot since it is wired as a variable resistor. The 500k gives you more ability to adjust things. If there is a switch to remove the bleed then this is less important. For years, i used a setting up near 300k, the 250k would not give that range.

So, let me ask you, why would anyone use a 250k trimmer or pot? They cost the same and work the same with zero tone difference. The bleed can clearly be heard from 250 to 500 settings too. Seems a no brainer.

I only came off the way i did since the pot/trimmer value question was recently discussed several times. I guess i was frustrated that my well reasoned advice was ignored. Me bad for passionately responding. :)

Other than my tone, do you agree? Personally, my amp has a 1m switch pot. I notice a tone difference with it switched out as well, as compared to 1m from ground setting!

In the end, i like to use values that give the best useable range. A 250k pot on a bleed is too small for some rigs as it may be too dulling.
ayan wrote:Scott,

I'm actually amazed at how fond of yourself you come across to me in some of your posts, my friend. Right out of the gate, the choice of speaker alone may crush your statement entirely. "Not open for discussion, it is silly to not agree with me." How does that sound? :) It sounds small, doesn't it?

Gil

dogears wrote:Guys, hate to be a broken record but a 250K pot is too small. This is not open for discussion as with the pot set for full bright, you still have a ton of "bleed". You could use a 100K resistor to lift ground so that you better better range.

However, my choice is a 500K or 1M pot. No change on max bleed, but you get to take the treble bleed more out of circuit. My amp has a switch pot where I can click it out of circuit. There is a very noticeable difference when I am out of circuit versus the 1 Meg max resistance of the pot! Proves the point......

It is silly to not use at least a 500K. No change to the tone control except you can take it more out of circuit.

Mark wrote:I had a go at this tone control today. I find the control isn't necessary for guitars like Les Paul's, however some PRS', Strat's, Tele's, Danelectro's will probably require this control.

The cut control is a 1000pF cap in series with a 250K pot. You'll notice the difference in tone straight away. I put a switch in series with the tone control, to tell the difference in a way I'd find meaningful.

I found it removed some upper frequencies as well as lower the level of the signal from the second overdrive stage.

The effect of the tone control doesn't change the tone like a guitars tone control would. In fact I tried a 2200pF cap instead of the 1000pF, I found I had greater control over the high frequencies, but the tone was bland and no longer exciting.

Stick with Gil's circuit values, or go with the HRM.