want 2 Rok JM signature tone board layout

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

hitchcaster

Re: want 2 Rok JM signature tone board layout

Post by hitchcaster »

talbany wrote:
People talk about hearing cable I can agree with that, the only person I've every heard talk about how "fast" or "slow" an amp was was Danny Gatton. I remember some interview he gave where he talked about having his amps modded so they had less wire in them and the response time from striking a note ad the amp was more accurate.
Coming from a guy that hard wired his Reverb switch to the 120 AC outlet to intentionally blow fuses on a slow night... :D I have seen a couple of the insides of Danny's personally modded amps and can tell you the leads were not shortened...Some of it was was like wow really!! :shock:

The secret to getting that DG tone is rub your new strings in Beer and cigarette ashes..:lol:

Tony....Huge Gatton Fan..

he really wired up a switch to short the AC outlets on his own gig? that's genius!!! he's mentioned the cigarette ashes... sometimes I worry about water getting on my guitar then I think of his beer trick on a vintage tele and forget about it :D
turbo5speed

Post by turbo5speed »

M Fowler wrote:Seems to me that the way the switches are wired in these two schematics is upside down in a tubes down chassis?

Also, on the deep switch how is the signal going through the 270k resistors?

Mark

Do you know the model/type/brand of the reverb tank in the schematic?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

No I don't know which tank the authors were suggesting.

I used the Twin Reverb reverb driver and chassis is 19.5" so the tank will be limited to 17" or shorter and chose based on the driver's spec's. Tank positioned on bottom of head cab. I tested with an old Super Reverb tank.

Mark
turbo5speed

Post by turbo5speed »

M Fowler wrote:No I don't know which tank the authors were suggesting.

I used the Twin Reverb reverb driver and chassis is 19.5" so the tank will be limited to 17" or shorter and chose based on the driver's spec's. Tank positioned on bottom of head cab. I tested with an old Super Reverb tank.

Mark
So you ignored the reverb section of this schematic and went for a typical fender reverb driver correct?

Thanks for the info.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

turbo5speed wrote:
M Fowler wrote:No I don't know which tank the authors were suggesting.

Mark
So you ignored the reverb section of this schematic and went for a typical fender reverb driver correct?

Thanks for the info.
No I used the schematic's circuit but it doesn't spec reverb driver or pan but since I'm using 100w Twin Reverb transformers I used the driver as well. I'll choose my pan based on that driver's spec. I could look all that up and then tell you which pan I'm going to use if that helps.

Mark
mauiboy81

Post by mauiboy81 »

Is the Level/Master Volume control really wired as shown on the schematic with the in from the mixer to the wiper?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

mauiboy81 wrote:Is the Level/Master Volume control really wired as shown on the schematic with the in from the mixer to the wiper?
Yes that is NOT correct. edited
Last edited by M Fowler on Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The wiper should go to PI cap. When these were drawn I had created templates not realizing that I drawn it wrong. So there were a few with the incorrect wiring and switching.
Just haven't had enough time to go back and fix them all. Been busy building studio gear :wink:
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Looks like wiper goes to send jack and entrance of MV pot goes to junction of 68k & 108k. (4a/4b)

Power amp in goes to .02uf of PI.
Aaron

John Mayer Signature Proto REV 3 Schematic

Post by Aaron »

Well, finally got round to finishing the schematic.

A few values have been changed from suggestions made by the people who have built/seen one.

I have not built or tested so assume it has errors.

Thanks,
Aaron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mauiboy81

Post by mauiboy81 »

I thought that MV was probably a mistake. Looks good and I may have to try this out as well some time.

Side note... That's a lot of LNFB all over the place. When I built a clean only 50watt version of one twenty four I put the LNFB on a switch and I liked it better with it switched out. With it in the circuit it felt a little lifeless. I like the tone JM gets from his sig so maybe with the extra stage for mixing it will bring some life back.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I added a switch on the backside for the LNFB as well.

Thanks for the updated schematic Aaron.

I see one resistor change originally schematic had a 108k in the mixer now changed to 205k if this is correct I will change that to higher value.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Instead of using a resistor a few people mentioned subbing in a pot to get the right amount of blend between the dry and reverb and then measuring the resistance and hardwiring a resistor back in.

Thanks,
Aaron
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

EDIT:- double post
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Here are some photos of my mess, I will clean it up when I get the magic. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.