SSS Cathode Follower and Bias Voltage in a 50W Fender Bassman Converted to Vibroverb

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Krinkle

Re: SSS Cathode Follower and Bias Voltage in a 50W Fender Bassman Converted to Vibroverb

Post by Krinkle »

Wow, I don't know how I missed those, I've scoured this site for the past month while I was building my amp! Thanks!
markusw

Re: SSS Cathode Follower and Bias Voltage in a 50W Fender Bassman Converted to Vibroverb

Post by markusw »

larsvictor wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:34 am Marcusw,

thanks for the information concerning the high and low filter section. I compared your schematic to the sss_002_revision_7-174-781 ("may contain errors-schematic") and to the original drawing of SSS #002 from Japan there are indeed minor differences. Your understanding of that network makes sense to me and if you have good experience with it, that may lead us to little errors in the known schematics.

The high filter in the original drawing and in your design seem to be the same, whereas the circuit in the "mce schematic" has the 3nF capacitor to ground in all filter positions. I will check out if that alters the sound.

Lars
If the 3n is connected to gnd in all filter poitions it will definitely alter the sound as it shunts a lot of treble to gnd.

Markus
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

I changed the 3n to match the Japanese schematic and I have to say that I did not like it at all. I thought it made the amp overly bright, to the point of being harsh. I put it back to the "mistake".