SSS - Nukular Warhead - Chassis are Finished

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Max

Re: SSS LNFB next...

Post by Max »

FuzzFaceBuilder wrote:Nothing special really stands out except for the lack of LNFB loops for less "sing" in the pre section.
Hi FuzzFaceBuilder,

Brandon once posted that Stevies SSS lacked some of the POSITIVE feedback loops and not some of the NEGATIVE.

Could you and Brandon please post some comments, to avoid any accidental misunderstandings concerning the kind of feedback loops that HAD didn't implement in Stevies SSS?

Thanks for posting the picture!

Cheers

Max
FuzzFaceBuilder

Re: SSS - Nukular Warhead - Chassis are Finished

Post by FuzzFaceBuilder »

Hey Max,

Being the newbie that I am, I figured it best to present both sides to the inquiry.

Here is Dogears' response to the photo in the original thread: "...Nothing special in your pic Doug. 100 plate loads, 70s tonestack (.047 midcap and no .001 on bass pot) and some special PI section values and adjustable NFB. Been there and done that for years...."

And Funk's quote on the SRV SSS: "What is different about SRV's amp is the setup of the Hi-Lo filters, and the removal of some of the positive feedback loops within the amp."

Here's to the truth,
Hale :mrgreen:
jelle

Post by jelle »

The amp in the picture is an early 80's pre-goop ODS.
txbluesboy

Post by txbluesboy »

Back to the step filters, I think I have pretty much decided how I'm going to do mine. What do you guys think would be appropriate roll off points for the high and low filters?
Max

Post by Max »

jelle wrote:The amp in the picture is an early 80's pre-goop ODS.
Hi jelle,

You are wrong! The picture definitely shows SRV's second blackface SSS, but it was taken when it still has been an ODS, just some days before Dumbledore did the transfiguration charm.

All the best and lots of fun!

Max
jelle

Post by jelle »

Thanks, I have seen youtube vids with SRV playing an ODS on a marshall 4x12.

Cool pic!
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

hey tx I would look at the values that are on the resistors on the sterling shots, and see if you can tell the color bands..that will give the resistance, and I can probably read the colors in adobe, but I don't have the color reference chart :( As for the caps, I hope that someone can identify the maroon and orange suckers in the photo so we have an idea of the high and low values associated with them. Then everyone can have their own fun tuning them how they want.
txbluesboy

Post by txbluesboy »

Thanks Dr who, I can't make out the colors on those resistors but I'm thinking that series cap thats in parallel with them is either a .002 or maybe .001 on the bass cut switch.
Max

Post by Max »

jelle wrote:Thanks, I have seen youtube vids with SRV playing an ODS on a marshall 4x12.

Cool pic!
Hi Jelle,

was only kiddin'. But you are right. As far as I know SRV did indeed use an ODS at some point, but I have no idea, if it was the one on this picture.

But anyway: This is indeed most likely one of the very first 'blackface' ODS 100W, still without the goop. So indeed: cool pic for the records!

Have a great time

Max
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

Max wrote:
Funkalicousgroove wrote:The switches are 6 position
Hi Brandon,

are you sure about this?

That's how I remember:

300SL: 6 positions
SSS 100 + 150: 7 positions
DL 150: 7 positions
One specimen of DL 150: 10 positions (NOT eleven as I once posted!! Obviously I'm not the best in counting positions!!)

But as far as I remember now, there are amps in witch one of the positions is a "not active" one (tube still active of course).

Have a nice weekend

Max
The ones I have been in and the ones I have seen shots of all used 6 position rotary switches ala gibson varitone, as far as i know an 11 position rotary switch does not/has never exist(ed).
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

The amp in that picture is NOT a SSS, could not be "Converted to an SSS, and bareley even resembles an SSS.

The amp in the picture is Jackson Browne's Suede Overdrive Special, not sure how it became associated with SRV, This is the amp from texas flood:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
txbluesboy

Post by txbluesboy »

I have been working on a filter scheme. Will post later
Last edited by txbluesboy on Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ampdork

Post by ampdork »

:D
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Now here is a dumb question for you guys.

Is the SSS built two ways both downgoing and upgoing tubes? I would think since it is a rather large chassis I would be better off building it tubes up like my K60. What is the verdict?

Mark
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

rj,

The chassis arrived today with faceplates, this is one nice and sturdy chassis and the faceplates look good. Thanks.

I feel like and idiot even attempting this built as I know nothing about what makes up a SSS compared to the other Dumble amps. Yes I have read all the threads on this Forum and downloaded all the pictures and articles I could find which is limited.

Mark