TWO ROCK EMERALD PRO REVISITED 5 years later

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

tag101

Re: TWO ROCK EMERALD PRO REVISITED 5 years later

Post by tag101 »

Here is a cool comparison of the Dumble/Quinn 183 and the Emerald Pro. Both amps kick arse! I think the way the Emerald pros notes leap off the fretboard and sing like crazy can be heard clearly, but both amps have their positives for sure. The Non HRM is easier to play, but the HRM (Emmy) is more articulate.

#183 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_NDhB4 ... S4Ce-JEqow

Emerald Pro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnxZmcN ... S4Ce-JEqow
VERY GOOD VERY GOOD!
pman

Post by pman »

I remember hearing a krinard modded showman at the old Black Creek Guitars. Infinite clear sustain with a Strat! He also had bills version of Santana's Dumble.
CHIP

Post by CHIP »

I agree the Emmy (HRM) is more articulate on the high end , ( more high end bite), but to me TKT 183 has more of what I like, I like the way at 1:02 #183 starts to want to take off feedback wise. sweet!
Excellent tone from both, but I personally would choose the #183 copy.
tag101

Post by tag101 »

CHIP wrote:I agree the Emmy (HRM) is more articulate on the high end , ( more high end bite), but to me TKT 183 has more of what I like, I like the way at 1:02 #183 starts to want to take off feedback wise. sweet!
Excellent tone from both, but I personally would choose the #183 copy.

Hey Chip. Nothing wrong with that choice. :wink:

With the HRM and individual Master volumes and EQs, (As you guys well know) you can set up the lead to be as bright or as dark as you want and not effect the cleans. Since it left my hands 5 years ago, the HRM controls have been drastically changed. The gain which I used to have 3/4 up is now 3/4 down, and its much brighter. Again, I love them both equally at this point, and feel very lucky to have gotten the amp back. :)
VERY GOOD VERY GOOD!
cap217

Post by cap217 »

Whats the difference in the custom reverb (V1 if that matters) and the emerald pro? I know the independent OD eq but is there anything else? If I had a Custom Reverb and sent it to TR to add OD eq and gain inside, would it be the same amp?
tag101

Post by tag101 »

cap217 wrote:Whats the difference in the custom reverb (V1 if that matters) and the emerald pro? I know the independent OD eq but is there anything else? If I had a Custom Reverb and sent it to TR to add OD eq and gain inside, would it be the same amp?

Really a totally different amp. I loved my CR sig V1. Its more of the #183 tone, although there are major differences for sure. I would not do those mods. I had a CRS that had been modded to have an HRM and Non HRM by the flip of a switch. The Non HRM side sounded MUCH better, which oddly is the same things I found with the Glaswerks and redplate, both of which give you a similar option. Again, its just my ear, but TwoRock has made the only HRM amps i have liked in the Emerald pro and Opal. Somehow or another they give you pretty much the feel of a NON HRM in an HRM amp. If you really want an HRM, I would grab a used Emerald Pro or Opal. The Onyx also was an HRM I believe (i could be wrong), and had the HRM controls on the outside of the amp, unless that was a totally different design. I have never actually played one of those. One HRM TwoRock I would stay away from is the Topaz. Its suppose to be basically an E.Pro, but I have played several, and have REALLY disliked them. Thats putting it mildly! :wink:
VERY GOOD VERY GOOD!
cap217

Post by cap217 »

tag101 wrote:
cap217 wrote:Whats the difference in the custom reverb (V1 if that matters) and the emerald pro? I know the independent OD eq but is there anything else? If I had a Custom Reverb and sent it to TR to add OD eq and gain inside, would it be the same amp?

Really a totally different amp. I loved my CR sig V1. Its more of the #183 tone, although there are major differences for sure. I would not do those mods. I had a CRS that had been modded to have an HRM and Non HRM by the flip of a switch. The Non HRM side sounded MUCH better, which oddly is the same things I found with the Glaswerks and redplate, both of which give you a similar option. Again, its just my ear, but TwoRock has made the only HRM amps i have liked in the Emerald pro and Opal. Somehow or another they give you pretty much the feel of a NON HRM in an HRM amp. If you really want an HRM, I would grab a used Emerald Pro or Opal. The Onyx also was an HRM I believe (i could be wrong), and had the HRM controls on the outside of the amp, unless that was a totally different design. I have never actually played one of those. One HRM TwoRock I would stay away from is the Topaz. Its suppose to be basically an E.Pro, but I have played several, and have REALLY disliked them. Thats putting it mildly! :wink:

I never played a custom reverb so I don't know what the OD sounds like. But if you were able to have OD eq control inside of the amp. Why wouldn't you do this? It isn't messing with the clean side of the amp right?

And I assume that the custom reverb is a non HRM style amp and adding eq wont change that (will it?)
tag101

Post by tag101 »

cap217 wrote:
tag101 wrote:

I never played a custom reverb so I don't know what the OD sounds like. But if you were able to have OD eq control inside of the amp. Why wouldn't you do this? It isn't messing with the clean side of the amp right?

And I assume that the custom reverb is a non HRM style amp and adding eq wont change that (will it?)
The term HRM refers to having the additional tone stack, so if you add the tone stack to a Custom reverb, you are changing it from a non HRM to an HRM. Its nice to have for sure, but it changes the tone and feel of the amp. More circuitry, and USUALLY the less the better. Any Fuchs addresses the problem with his TOS. Three "channels" with a dedicated clean. I have never played one, but I bet its a hell of an amp. Any makes really nice stuff.
VERY GOOD VERY GOOD!
cap217

Post by cap217 »

Stupid me. I was thinking there were other differences to the gain. I can see why the Onyx should be their top of the line amp. Odd how it never caught on. All independent and front panel eq/
tag101

Post by tag101 »

cap217 wrote:Stupid me. I was thinking there were other differences to the gain. I can see why the Onyx should be their top of the line amp. Odd how it never caught on. All independent and front panel eq/
There probably is. These came in two versions, low and high gain, and I would think the gain is increased somewhere in the circuit for the additional tone stack. I am sure there is a thread on here about HRM VS NON HRM circuits, but again, to my ear, the Emerald Pros and Opals are a bit different, and sound much better than most to my ear.
VERY GOOD VERY GOOD!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Ahhh the circle of life. I still have yet to play anything that really sounds like my Dumbles.
groovtubin

dumbles

Post by groovtubin »

Rob wrote:Ahhh the circle of life. I still have yet to play anything that really sounds like my Dumbles.
U have any videos showcasing your playing w/these amps? :)

jim
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

tag101 wrote:
cap217 wrote:Stupid me. I was thinking there were other differences to the gain. I can see why the Onyx should be their top of the line amp. Odd how it never caught on. All independent and front panel eq/
There probably is. These came in two versions, low and high gain, and I would think the gain is increased somewhere in the circuit for the additional tone stack. I am sure there is a thread on here about HRM VS NON HRM circuits, but again, to my ear, the Emerald Pros and Opals are a bit different, and sound much better than most to my ear.
I agree, the Emerald Pros and Opals are much different. I also preferred the Emerald Pro (not that the Opals aren't cool).

Regarding the low vs. high gain Emerald Pro, I've got details on the differences and how to do the mod back and forth if anyone is looking to do the mod.