Redplate amps. Amazing tone

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

mdroberts1243

Re: Redplate amps. Amazing tone

Post by mdroberts1243 »

tubedogsmith wrote:Do you pad the back, the bottom, and one side?
In mine I padded the top, back and two sides down to the level of the ports, leaving the area of the ports clear of fibreglass and making sure the bottom of the batting was stapled to the back and sides to insure open flow to the port.
-mark.
My tube blog & link directory: http://tubenexus.com
Cause & Effect Pedals FET Dream and Dumble Style Chassis
sidehatch

Post by sidehatch »

Wanna hear some funny shit?

I have gig tomorrow moring at a local college playing for orientation.

Got an email today:

"Hey man, I heard you have a dumble"

"I'm coming to your gig to hear it"

I dint reply but say come on out and hear some kick ass tone nonetheless!!!

What about hearing me? I'm looking at my amp now and i ain't hearing shit... lol!!!
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

sidehatch wrote:Wanna hear some funny shit?
I have gig tomorrow moring at a local college playing for orientation.
Got an email today:
"Hey man, I heard you have a dumble"
"I'm coming to your gig to hear it"
I dint reply but say come on out and hear some kick ass tone nonetheless!!!
What about hearing me? I'm looking at my amp now and i ain't hearing shit... lol!!!
No question that the word 'Dumble' has a halo effect on the player.
txbluesboy

Post by txbluesboy »

When I built my TL806 cab for an old broken in EVM 12L I didn't notice the insulation recommendation. I never found the tone everyone was raving about with this combination. I drug it out this morning after reading this post and installed the insulation. WOW what a difference that made! Sounds great now. Thanks for the tip!
Structo

Post by Structo »

I just reviewed my plans more carefully and it does say to line it with insulation.

Line top, both sides andback with 3" fiberglass insulation.
Insulation must not block port opening.

I missed that part before.

Also, have you ever tried covering the middle port opening?

Here are the plans.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

Structo wrote:Also, have you ever tried covering the middle port opening?
No, never bothered because according to the building plan, you are supposed to boost the bottom end with some eq in order to get extended requency range down there.

Tip:
I've found that if I want my EV12L equipped theie cab can approximate my 2x12 12g65 closed back cab, by running

mid and bass at 2 o'clock, (instead of at 12 o'clock with the 2x12). And the treble at 10½ (insead of at 12 o'clock with the 2x12)
BobW

Post by BobW »

stelligan wrote:
BobW wrote:Stelligan, after looking at your pic, I didn't see any damping (baffling) material in your 806 (Thiele) cab? Do you prefer it w/o any?
Hard to see it but, the only back wall you can see is at the center right. It is yellow and nearly the same color as the birch. It does have fiberglass inside. Never tried one without.
OK, I see it now. thanks 8). FWIW, I found the 3" of baffling all the way around (top sides and back) to be too much in my 806's. Reducing to approx 1" on the back and top sounded better w/ less damping.
wjdunham

Post by wjdunham »

I wound up putting some "egg crate" foam that was originally used as computer equipment packing during shipping (found it in the lab at work). Different absorption and damping characteristics than 3" insulation for sure. But I'm pretty happy with the setup, even with a Celestion Vintage 30 that I've read elsewhere on this forum is the worst sounding speaker with this type of amp.

I built the box a little wider to match my amp, and wound up with more than the 1.3 cu ft of volume. It sounded like crap with both the Vintage 30 and an EVM 12L. I went back and added an inner wall to bring the volume back down to 1.3 cu ft and it made a world of difference. Needless to say, I'm the kind of guy who has to learn things the hard way. I was originally blaming the insulation.

On a separate note, has anyone else tried a Vintage 30 in the TL806? I'm mostly using it with my 50W DLite, very happy with the combination. I ordered a Wharehouse version of the G12-65 Heritage speaker to see how that sounds, I'll post a summary when I've had a chance to play with it.
RHGraham

Post by RHGraham »

God, you guys suck... after this thread, and those clips, I'm gonna be broke.
That's the amp.
must have... m u s t h a v e

:shock:

cool sounds and info folks, thanks...
( damn fine fingers too bud...)

Randal
RHGraham

Post by RHGraham »

heisthl wrote:Picture is worth a thousand words - this particular amp had a permanent 470k/470k voltage divider instead of a master volume, chassis is 15" like a Fender Champ.
Is the amp pictured in this post the one Sidehatch was recording?
Killer tones man, kudos+

Randal
Randal
Blues Junkie
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

RHGraham wrote:
Is the amp pictured in this post the one Sidehatch was recording?
Killer tones man, kudos+

Randal
Yes that is a picture of that amp. A newer variation gives you a Tweed Channel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
RHGraham

Post by RHGraham »

Very cool... geez, it's like it's just waiting for my name to go on it....
:D

*sigh* I feel a bunch of overtime comin on....
Randal
Blues Junkie
wescaster

EV for the Blackloop

Post by wescaster »

Man! Out of the embarrassingly long list of amps I've tried..this Redplate is the most satisfying. I basically had Henry build me one like Garth Webbers. I loved the sound of his clips. Anyway, I'd had an old EV sitting on a shelf. I was pretty much convinced that the EV was to brittle on top for me, but I put in in a cab and it is heaven with this amp. The EV is very honest and tells you just what the amp is doing..and it's all good. Someday I'll get something recorded to post here. I'm playing a 10 pound Paul with Aero ZMD's. The cab was made by a friend of mine to the specs of the "Solar wind" cab in Kevin O'Conners book "DIY speaker cabinets for musical instrument applications"

Thanks Henry! You're a good man! :D
Deric

Post by Deric »

I've had the pleasure of playing a RedPlate last night and today. It's a Blackloop OD 112 combo. What a cool amp! 8) Not sure what I think about the Tonker Lite. The amp sounds almost too polite (to me - and I suck so...take that for what it's worth). Plugged it into a 12-65....Holy Smokes Batman!!! Better low end and just enough grit. Still VERY smooth. Smoother than my D Lite.... I like it!!! Tried my D Lite thru the Tonker Lite and it smoothed it out just a tad (a good thing) but was too thin for me - not enough low end... could be partly due to the smaller cab. My D Lite cab is much bigger.

Still, the Tonker Lite combined with small chassis/cab makes for a great sounding, versatile, portable and light weight grab-and-go.

Too bad it's not mine......
Deric®
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

The TonkerLite never really floated my boat in my RedPlate, either. I believe Henry used them for weight reasons as a grab and go. 2 x G1265 - hella good.....