183 build questions

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

professormudd

Re: 183 build questions

Post by professormudd »

So, I was going through the amp, and finally got around to playing with the FET boost. I noticed I get quite a bit of pop when I switch it on either via the push/pull, or via the footswitch. Would increasing the value of the cap on the push/pull pot help? Should I put a capacitor across the footswitch as well?

Any advice is appreciated.
-Matt

It may very well be that the sole purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Richard1001

Post by Richard1001 »

If you allready use a cap over the switch and diode over the relaycoil, extra caps won't help.

When the relay switches, there is a very short time where the grid of the first triode is only grounded by the 1M resistor and is not connected to the low resistance of either the trimmer of the Fet board or the pickups/ground (when no guitar is connected) This will most likely cause the popping.
professormudd

Post by professormudd »

Richard1001 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:24 pm If you allready use a cap over the switch and diode over the relaycoil, extra caps won't help.

When the relay switches, there is a very short time where the grid of the first triode is only grounded by the 1M resistor and is not connected to the low resistance of either the trimmer of the Fet board or the pickups/ground (when no guitar is connected) This will most likely cause the popping.
Thank you for the response.

I have decided to accept the popping as a fact of life for this feature.

I really only use the FET with my telecaster because it has quite a weak output. So it is more of an always on boost for me (as it seems to have originally been intended).
-Matt

It may very well be that the sole purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.