Alternative stack boost...

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

wjdunham

Alternative stack boost...

Post by wjdunham »

Nothing terribly new here, but a small variation on the theme that I thought I'd share. Since I never use the rock/jazz switch on my #124 (always leave it in rock mode), I implemented a slightly different version of what others here may call "raw" boost. The goal was to find a boost setting that was somewhere in between full PAB and no boost, but that wouldn't have that boxy mid that the PAB can have.
After using a couple of 500K pots to find the right values, I re-wired the DPDT switch to lift the mid pot with a 100K and bass with a 220K. Typically a single 470K is used to lift both, I found this too close to the full PAB for my taste. This mod works really well with a strat, really fattens up the OD, and will give the clean a nice edge without getting honky.
Bill
JayB

Re: Alternative stack boost...

Post by JayB »

wjdunham wrote:Nothing terribly new here, but a small variation on the theme that I thought I'd share. Since I never use the rock/jazz switch on my #124 (always leave it in rock mode), I implemented a slightly different version of what others here may call "raw" boost. The goal was to find a boost setting that was somewhere in between full PAB and no boost, but that wouldn't have that boxy mid that the PAB can have.
After using a couple of 500K pots to find the right values, I re-wired the DPDT switch to lift the mid pot with a 100K and bass with a 220K. Typically a single 470K is used to lift both, I found this too close to the full PAB for my taste. This mod works really well with a strat, really fattens up the OD, and will give the clean a nice edge without getting honky.
Bill
You can even tailor the frequencies by adding a cap in parallel to those resistors.
Structo

Post by Structo »

I'd like to try that.
What I am not following is when you say that:
I re-wired the DPDT switch to lift the mid pot with a 100K and bass with a 220K. Typically a single 470K is used to lift both
I see a 100K and 22M and the two .01uF caps (or a .005uF) on the typical Rock/Jazz switch layout.

So with your mod you are switching in a 100K on the mid and 220K on the bass pots?
So these are in place from the pots to ground when switched to this new boost?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
wjdunham

Post by wjdunham »

Yes Tom, I completely remove the components from the rock/jazz circuit and hard wire it in rock mode, al-la the DLite. Then use 1/2 of the DPDT to switch the bottom of the mid pot between ground (normal) and 100K (boost) and the other half to switch the bottom of the bass pot between the normal 10K and a 220K (boost).
I like the idea of playing with different caps across the resistors as well, I need to buy some cap substitution boxes...

Bill
Structo

Post by Structo »

Cool, thanks.
I may have to give that a try.
I'll prototype it on my D'lite and if I like it enough it will go into the 100w. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!