Neodymium Guitar Speakers

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jestaudio

Neodymium Guitar Speakers

Post by jestaudio »

Anyone tried one with a D type yet, i,m still looking for a alternative to my Celestion lead 80,s, something a bit darker sounding
Structo

Re: Neodymium Guitar Speakers

Post by Structo »

Yeah I tried a pair of Eminence Tonkerlites.

The weight savings was cool but they just didn't have any bottom end.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

Tested EMI TonkerLite and 'Lil Texas as well as Jensen NEO 12's
To my ears the Tonkerlite is kind of EV sounding on clean tones (harsh on aggressive distortion) and the 'Lil Texas is better on the OD tones. The Jensens were very similar to the TonkerLite with the Tornado having a slightly better overall tone. Of the bunch the 'Lil Texas is the best for a D style amp, although I would not call it "Darker Sounding" it does balance better than the CL-80.
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
jestaudio

Post by jestaudio »

heisthl wrote:Tested EMI TonkerLite and 'Lil Texas as well as Jensen NEO 12's
To my ears the Tonkerlite is kind of EV sounding on clean tones (harsh on aggressive distortion) and the 'Lil Texas is better on the OD tones. The Jensens were very similar to the TonkerLite with the Tornado having a slightly better overall tone. Of the bunch the 'Lil Texas is the best for a D style amp, although I would not call it "Darker Sounding" it does balance better than the CL-80.
Cheers , i did dig up a old thread which had a link to a speaker shoot out and was pretty shocked how much it colours your tone along with cab design, i think i may just take the D clone down my music store and try a few cabs out to see what i personally like :D
mdroberts1243

Post by mdroberts1243 »

I paired a Tonkerlite with a Red, White & Blues in a Dumble-style 2x12 to get a nice balance. You still need to back off on the presence a bit because it seems like the Tonkerlite has plenty of 'presence' built-in!
-mark.
My tube blog & link directory: http://tubenexus.com
Cause & Effect Pedals FET Dream and Dumble Style Chassis
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Word is that the cost of the raw materials in a Neo speaker have skyrocketed, as the Chinese are the only source on earth. Expect neo prices to go through the roof soon anyway. Whether you like them or not, expect a big increase. Just when they were starting to sound better.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.