Footswitch multi connector cable

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

David Root

Footswitch multi connector cable

Post by David Root »

Couple of questions re the above: if I have six relays can I get away with 6 conductor unshielded cable, (rather than eight) assuming there is a drain conductor in addition to the 6 wires, and, does it need to be shielded?

I think the answers are yes and no, but I would like to be sure.

Looking at 24 ga conductors into Switchcraft DIN plugs between FSW box w/DIN jack and panel mounted DIN jack on back of chassis.

Oh, I'm looking at NOR/FET, OD, PAB, MB, HRM/Non-HRM, and Brite switching functions.
briane

Re: Footswitch multi connector cable

Post by briane »

I havent done that many, but have done 3 & 4 switched relays. Worked great.

Cant imagine why shielding would be required (under the typical configuration)...Theres no signal passing through the cable, so no noise to pick-up. In fact, the only electrical signal through those cables is either none, or ground.
it really is a journey, and you just cant farm out the battle wounds
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

What's the DIN plug pin count?
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

david, you may consider a CAT-5 cable it is 24 gage.

Dirt cheap in cost.
David Root

Post by David Root »

Tonemerc, I need six conductors plus one ground. A six pin DIN plug also has a ground connection, so if I can get 6 conductor unshielded cable with a ground conductor too, that's what I need. I was looking at 8 conductor in case the 6 conductor doesn't have a ground conductor too. 7 conductor is hard to find.

67-plexi, I looked up cat 5 it is cheap but I don't need 500 ft of it! I'd buy 100 ft if I could find it in that length. Also hoping to find this locally near where I live in BC.

Found some in the basement! Previous owner had a computer in the basement, found about 50 feet of cat 5. So now I can get two 3 FSW boxes and the DIN jacks and plugs and some 150 ohm LED resistors from AES. No need to run all over town.
Last edited by David Root on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevster

Post by kevster »

David Root wrote:Tonemerc, I need six conductors plus one ground. A six pin DIN plug also has a ground connection, so if I can get 6 conductor unshielded cable with a ground conductor too, that's what I need. I was looking at 8 conductor in case the 6 conductor doesn't have a ground conductor too. 7 conductor is hard to find.

67-plexi, I looked up cat 5 it is cheap but I don't need 500 ft of it! I'd buy 100 ft if I could find it in that length. Also hoping to find this locally near where I live in BC.
Buy a 25 ft cable, and cut the ends off?
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

I REALLY dislike the MIDI and DIN connectors for various reasons. This is what I prefer to use for footswitch conections.

http://il.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Neut ... stOrZCw%3d

It allows you to use any standard ethernet cable and also converts it into a rugged, lockable configuration. Another advantage is that you don't need a custom cable. A standard OTS cable will do. I have been using these for years.
jelle

Post by jelle »

Why not use a five pin DIN instead with a stranded multi cable.... Super rugged. I know some use a blue solid core wire from home depot which will cause issues in the future. I do not like issues..... 8)

Jelle
boldaslove6789

Post by boldaslove6789 »

jelle wrote:Why not use a five pin DIN instead with a stranded multi cable.... )

Jelle
Aggreed, I use these for Multi-command-switching-unit's (like CAE switchers) and they have yet to fail me. Hosa Brand is usually the best but you have to find the one in which all five are connected to the pins. Musicians friend has them along with a few other mail order places
jelle

Post by jelle »

I make my own and I supply them with my amps. Also, I have them available for my customers. Super sturdy. 8)
David Root

Post by David Root »

Is this some kind of snake cable? And how do I get 6 signals and a ground out of a 5-pin DIN plug? Sorry I'm not knowledgeable about this kind of gear. Help me out here, please.

That's the one thing I didn't like about Cat 5 cable, it looks pretty flimsy, trample on it a few times and ???
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

I have been using the Cat 5 for over a decade and have never had a failure. The RJ45 is an off the shelf cable with 8 conductors. If a cable fails you can buy a low cost replacement from many different locations. Snap the part that I linked to above and it's ruggedized.
Structo

Post by Structo »

I think the cable I used on my 100w ODS was CAT 6 cable.
Works fine but I don't presently gig out so it does not get any abuse.

I have thought about putting connectors on the pedal itself to relieve any stress on the cable there.
Right now I just have a strain relief on the cable in the hole.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
da Geezer

Post by da Geezer »

vibratoking wrote:I REALLY dislike the MIDI and DIN connectors for various reasons. This is what I prefer to use for footswitch conections.

http://il.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Neut ... stOrZCw%3d

It allows you to use any standard ethernet cable and also converts it into a rugged, lockable configuration. Another advantage is that you don't need a custom cable. A standard OTS cable will do. I have been using these for years.
I really like that idea.......What receptacle is used with that connector? I looked @the Mouser catalog & didn't see anything that looked like it was intended for use with that unit(?)

TIA, G

EDIT: Looking @ this page ( http://il.mouser.com/catalog/catalogUSD/643/1300.pdf ) is looks like the NE8FDP ("type F" / Feedthru) would be the easiest to implement, allowing you to simply plug in an RJ45 cable on the other side (no soldering of wires to the receptacle) and then solder the bare wires on the other end to your footswitches (if @ the footswitch end) or your relay connections (if @ the amp end).....does that sound right?
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

That's exactly what I do. I will check when I get back home for the actual part number and let you know. I use the feedthrough type on the amp and the pedal itself. Works great.