This one's for Bob

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dorrisant

This one's for Bob

Post by dorrisant »

A while back Bob S(tephenson) and I traded a few parts. Some here are familiar with this trades... Anyway, we were both very happy with what we ended up with. Bob got a bunch of premium brand preamp tubes and I got two headshells, one with a chassis. I used the one with a chassis in a project already. The remaining headshell is very nice, very small and very red. And so we have the start of this project...

Bob suggested that a 6V6 ODS would be just right in there if it would fit. The chassis I ended up getting from Seaside is 14" x 2" x 7 1/2". Pretty small, but I've packed some chassis so full that I had to trowel them to fit in the cabinets.

I looked at my notes for the Ceriatone Lunchbox. I have built two of these. They both sounded pretty good and I liked the breakup of the 6V6s. Bob was right, the cab was begging for a 6V6 ODS. For this build I wanted a bit more challenge, so I decided it was getting a built-in Dumbleator. Oh yeah, it is also getting the FET input too. Thanks to Martin for the FET setup, I have really fallen in love with that on my 50 watt #124... I'm wondering how it will act with the breakup of the 6V6s.

I really love the tone from #124, so that is the basis for the circuit. I may swap the plates to experiment later. I'm using an Edcor EM085-120 PT from rj... 290-0-290 @ 260mA. I've have a Vibrolux OT (40 watt 4k @ 2, 4 and 8Ω) and choke (4H 90mA) from Classic Tone. I figure I can use it with 6V6s and shift the impedance. The PT has a 5v filament winding that I would like to use for the relay supply.

It was pretty straight forward building up the chassis, although a bit tighter. I'm using Alpha pots, Xicon MF throughout, 716Ps, F&T filter caps and Bournes trimpots. Most of that stuff is collected and waiting...

I have an idea for the pilot and indicators for the OD and PAB. I have been using the standard Fender type pilot bezel and a white jewel with a color changing LED. This looks very cool, try it sometime. Anyway, I would like to have that color changer turn on as a pilot. I need to find a device that would turn that LED off and allow either a red LED or blue or both at the same time. I know there must be a SS device out there to facilitate the switching... Either relay would get ground from the FS and switch from the pilot (color changing) to red to indicate OD or blue to indicate PAB. When both OD and PAB are engaged the pilot would be purple. Any help on a device for this switching would be much appreciated.

Here are some pics of the built-up chassis. I have a vacant spot on the board that will possibly hold the pilot switching components.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
dorrisant

Re: This one's for Bob

Post by dorrisant »

Here's a picture of the cabinet from Bob's message. Also the 1:1 layout on cardboard for the test fitting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

excellent :D

Looking forward to seeing this coming together.

After putting the FET input on my 2nd gen I'm busy doing the same with my current BM build.

I don't think you'll get 3 relays in there!!! actually you could put them on the side of the chassis.

I should be finished fairly soon.

I love these small builds with a twist.

M
Mark

Post by Mark »

I'm sure Bob would approve of the build if he was still with us.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Looks really sharp and clean! I really like the way 6v6's tubes sound when they are overdriven!
This should sound really nice especially with the built in dumbulator,
I would only play my 124 when the dumbulator was turned on, sounds so much better!
I would like to build one like this too! So many amps to build but so little time !!!!!

Cheers
Guy
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Bob will be smiling from wherever he may be now. He'd love it I'm sure.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Thanks guys! Bob's FB account is still open, so I will post pictures there when I'm done. He asked me to.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Nice job as usual. Bob loves it.

Mark
Deric

Post by Deric »

Looking great!!! Yer makin' Bob proud I'm sure.

8)
Deric®
joe6v6

Post by joe6v6 »

Wow - Looks like a lot of planning & for thought went into this one, I just got done shoehorning a Wonderland into a 17" chassis & your build makes it seem like I had plenty of room. I can see where those cap cans would free up a lot of room but your still going to have a full house there. Cant wait to see what it looks like when completed. . . Joe
Resistors not Transistors !
BarryW

Post by BarryW »

That looks like a great project, and a seriously cool tribute. I've been kicking around a (slightly simpler) 6v6 build for a long time. Can't wait to see it come together!
Wolf Amplification
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Thanks for the kind comments... :)

I have a question for you all. I'm looking for something to do some LED switching... Maybe a 3 legged device to do this:

LED for a pilot, color 1. When PAB is switched on via a ground, LED color 1 (pilot) will go off and color 2 will come on. When OD is switched on via ground, LED color 1 would turn off if it was on, then LED color 3 would come on. Color 2 and 3 could both be on at the same time but if either one of the relays for color 2 or 3 were turned on then color 1 would be off. Could I maybe use a JFET or something similar to accomplish this task?
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I populated the power supply board, connected the reservoir, added bias monitor jacks, HT fuse holder and both TXs have all of their associated wires landed. I also removed the FET input jack in favor of a switched pot for Martin's front panel switch and trimpot mod. I removed the jack I had installed for the footswitch to accommodate a 6-pin jack for more options... I may even go with a 4-button FS so I can switch the OD, PAB, FET and FX loop. I will have to make a small board for FX loop relay. I will mount it just like the FET board but back near the FS jack. Seems to be approaching Mesa control-ability, without the pesky muting FETs they use.

Btw, who among my friends here has a single 1µF tantalum cap they would sell me cheap? If someone has a small stash of them, I'd be willing to make a very worthwhile trade for them. Bob was gonna send me a small stash of them but never got the opportunity.

Still waiting on a few parts... Also need to mount two more relays. Tell me if you see anything wrong or wierd. Now's the time to get it right. More later as it comes. :)
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Wow! Just wow.... Looking good.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I've got the weirdest boner right now :D

Love that, outstanding!

~Phil
tUber Nerd!