Amp build gig report

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bob-I

Amp build gig report

Post by Bob-I »

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 63#p381463

I’ve been neglecting you guys here. I got so much help in getting this amp running but I keep forgetting to post the final outcome.

This little Princeton size amp has become my go to for classic rock and southern rock. I like to run the first gain fairly high, maybe 1:00 or so. This gives the clean tone a bit of grit when I dig in. The second gain I usually run about 10:00 and it just adds enough gain for a nice overdrive without too much saturation. If I need more, I’ll kick in a pedal, usually just a compressor or a Tomsline Dumbler set to fairly low gain but a bit of a boost.

One thing I really like about this amp is the effectiveness of the tone stack. All 3 controls are exceptionally effective. I can run 5s and get a nice balance, then crank the treble and get an almost Vox like jangle, or drop the treble and crank the lows for a Leslie West type grind.

It’s small, light, grab and go, plenty of power and tone for days, and I haven’t even done any tube swaps, EH 6V6s and whatever 12AX7s were handy. Thx everyone for the help, it was worth all the frustration.

Oh...and my scope magically started working again.
Deric

Re: Amp build gig report

Post by Deric »

Bob,

Good to hear it's up and running. I remember seeing the troubleshooting thread.

Maybe I missed it but what was the problem in the cab vs. out of the cab?

Thanks
Deric®
Bob-I

Re: Amp build gig report

Post by Bob-I »

Deric wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:14 pm Bob,

Good to hear it's up and running. I remember seeing the troubleshooting thread.

Maybe I missed it but what was the problem in the cab vs. out of the cab?

Thanks
I’m not sure what that was about. I came back to it the next day and it sounded amazing, and still does months later. Maybe it was ear fatigue, or a brain fart.