Ultra Phonix mod for Bandmaster

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

johndandry

Ultra Phonix mod for Bandmaster

Post by johndandry »

Can anyone direct me to a schematic or thread for the Ultra Phonix mods. I wanna mod a Fender Bandmaster. Thanks
dbeasley

Re: Ultra Phonix mod for Bandmaster

Post by dbeasley »

Have you tried the search function? Comment is not intended to be snarky at all, but searching Ultraphonix in the Dumble discussion subsection should easily net a few threads on the subject.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

martin manning

Post by martin manning »

I don’t think anyone has consolidated the Ultraphonix mods into a definitive guide. If it has been done, it should be a files sticky like the other D-family members.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

martin manning wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:29 am I don’t think anyone has consolidated the Ultraphonix mods into a definitive guide. If it has been done, it should be a files sticky like the other D-family members.
I agree Martin,

I have a Bandmaster and I have looked over time at various separate threads but there doesn't seem to be a definitive 'Ultra phoenix' layout, schematic in one place.

I find the search function quite random and time consuming even trying to find stuff I've seen before in the past so a sticky in the files section is always welcome.

M
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Don't need a layout. Just mod what you have.

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30285

Aaron
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

That thread looks like a lot of speculation and conjecture.

Marcus, using google to search TAG is a vast improvement. Just do <keywords> site:amp garage.com
johndandry

Post by johndandry »

I’m gonna try to post a list of the Ultra Phonix mods here in one post. Looks like a lot of it is leaning towards Marshall style values.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

johndandry wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:10 pm I’m gonna try to post a list of the Ultra Phonix mods here in one post. Looks like a lot of it is leaning towards Marshall style values.
If you can collate some good info, I say start a new thread that's all about ultraphonix and I can pin that one. Put it in the files section etc.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
fred.violleau

Post by fred.violleau »

I liked this thread a lot.
Looks like there is a lot of valuable people who chimed in on this one.
I will let the pros elaborate on the educated guess.

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28190

Fred
dbeasley

Post by dbeasley »

FWIW, there is lots of speculation and conjecture surrounding the UP mods because there doesn't seem to be "one set" of mods. There are UP mods for Bassman and Marshall amps. And the ones that have had gut shots posted show lots of little differences.

The only real definitive thing is they all seems to share a Bluesmaster/Marshall Phase inverter. Also they have been described as either a "clean voicing only" or "2 channel clean and overdrive" in the case of some bassmans/showmans with 2 channels.

I feel that, until the few folks here who have been in the real ones decide to share their detailed knowledge, all we're going to get is speculation.

That being said, there are lots of older posts from several years back that describe the UP mods in Dumble jargon. I seem to recall someone mentioning "one channel is voiced lowplate classic, the other Bluesmaster Skyliner with Bluesmaster PI" etc etc.

It would be nice to have a collection of info in one thread. But I think it's never going to be as confirmed or concrete as say 102.

I spend hours one day and gathered every thread that had mention of Ultraphonix - and after poring over all that it became clear that a lot remains a mystery.

Chances are it's all staring us in the face. Dumble has a handful of tricks and voices for Fender amps. UP mods can't be radically different than the other voicings and ideas that great folks here have documented.

dbeasley

Post by dbeasley »

FWIW, I've done the BM clean preamp into BM PI in an old vibrolux reverb shell.

It does sound great (extra midrange also makes for a very fine pedal steel amp) but without a master volume it was ear splittingly loud at anything above 3 on the volume. Chalk that up to the increased gain on the BM clean pre (120K/150K plate loads if I'm not mistaken?) I don't know if you'd call it Ultraphonix but it does sound great!

Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

martin manning wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:36 am That thread looks like a lot of speculation and conjecture.

Marcus, using google to search TAG is a vast improvement. Just do <keywords> site:amp garage.com
Sorry, I don't get this. There is an actual photo of a Ultra Phonix amp and the components on the board are pretty easily seen.
CW
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

That’s one example... are the mods the same for other Fender models? What is the general idea of Ultraphonix, and how does it affect the sound? Schematics would be far better than photos of one amp to answer these questions.
dbeasley

Post by dbeasley »

It doesn't seem to be one consistent mod. There's supposedly ones with switchable boost functions and other features.

johndandry

Post by johndandry »

Do you guys think that the 100k/4.7k feedback network on the schematic/pic
is based on the 4 ohm speaker tap like a stock Bandmaster OT?