HRDx to ODS Conversion... Help Please!!

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jinx1499

HRDx to ODS Conversion... Help Please!!

Post by jinx1499 »

Hey All,
I've had the Hot Rod Deluxe to ODS drop in board for a little while now and finally took it to a tech because I don't have the time or the skill to finish it up. The mods that were done were the Voltage Bias Mod and the PAB HRM Mod. That's it.The tech told me that he can't find 15v anywhere but has -24v everywhere and that none of the relays work. The clean works but no relays function at all. Please Help!!

Bought the board around this time last year; I think it's a Rev. A. (Verified: Definitely a Rev. A) :D
jason
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: HRDx to ODS Conversion... Help Please!!

Post by pompeiisneaks »

jinx1499 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:20 pm Hey All,
I've had the Hot Rod Deluxe to ODS drop in board for a little while now and finally took it to a tech because I don't have the time or the skill to finish it up. The mods that were done were the Voltage Bias Mod and the PAB HRM Mod. That's it.The tech told me that he can't find 15v anywhere but has -24v everywhere and that none of the relays work. The clean works but no relays function at all. Please Help!!

Bought the board around this time last year; I think it's a Rev. A. (Verified: Definitely a Rev. A) :D
Some photo's of the board connections, and that type of thing would really help. The schematic I have is for Rev B, but basically look at the schematic for yours. You should see 15V coming out of the voltage regulator. on mine I have a TP5 that says it should be 15V.

Basically the 60V winding that comes off of the brown wires on the amp is the bias winding, and it pulls that into a few diodes and droppers etc before feeding into a voltage regulator that drops it to a consistent 15VDC out

Another thing to ensure you got right is to have jumpered the board section for the seelction of which footswitch features to use on the footswitch vs on the panel only. The foot switch uses a stereo jack so it can only switch two things on/off and so you must select to do one of OD/Mid/PAB and leave the one you don't want on a footswitch as the 'panel only' jumper if you did those wrong or didn't do them, it may leave it not working.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
jinx1499

Post by jinx1499 »

Ok, I took a bunch of pictures and shared them here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jNv_u ... AUigcvAHZM

Let me know what looks off or if you need more details of a certain area.
I haven't touched anything since getting it back from the tech, so this is exactly what he was seeing when he told me about the voltage issue.

Thank you!
jason
xtian

Post by xtian »

The low voltage circuit is the same, Rev A to B. I'll look at your photos now.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
xtian

Post by xtian »

What's that white jumper to R60?

I'm going to have to sit at my desk with the schematic open. I'll get back to you.
jinx1499

Post by jinx1499 »

It goes to the power tubes. The tech said that it prolongs the life of the tubes.

Can you post a link to the primary source schematic that was used to design the board? The tech said it would help troubleshoot what's going on.
jason
xtian

Post by xtian »

Here is the Rev A schematic. First, that mod to R60 is totally wrong. Put that back to stock.
Schematic, HRD TO ODS, Rev A.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Let's look at the low voltage (switching) power supply. Please report AC voltage with respect to ground at point indicated by 1 on the attached schematic, and measure DC voltage at points 2 and 3.

snip1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jinx1499

Post by jinx1499 »

sorry, these are the real numbers...

1= .05
2= - 18.5
3= - 18.5
jason
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

It is impossible for there to be 0.05 VAC at point 1 and then 18VDC at point's 2 and 3.

Did you set your multimeter to VAC when testing point 1 as he asked? I'm thinking you left it on VDC. 18VDC is a bit high and maybe part of the problem? you're also showing -18.5VDC. Did you accidentally put the red lead on the chassis and the black lead on that point? Because if you're really reading negative volts there's even more going wrong there.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
jinx1499

Post by jinx1499 »

Yep, you called it...
When doing it right, I got 41.2 off of 1
2 measured 18.7
3 measure 18.6
jason
xtian

Post by xtian »

I see you have jumpered out D15, which is correct for the HRD converstion. D16 is reversed biased (attn: Phil) so the DC voltage after D16 is supposed to be negative voltage, as that's what U10 wants to see.

Please double check DC voltage at point "2" and make sure it's negative, WRT ground. If it's not, I suspect D16 is fried.
jinx1499

Post by jinx1499 »

Triple checked. Voltage at 2 is - 18.7
jason
xtian

Post by xtian »

jinx1499 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:38 pm Triple checked. Voltage at 2 is - 18.7
OK, that's good. Please test AC voltage at the same point. It should be very near zero, maybe 0.1vAC max.

I also sent an email to Lou, who implemented this circuit--hopefully he will drop by.
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

From the pictures, it looks like all three relays are plugged into their sockets backwards. Please confirm. It also looks like the OD entrance trim pot (TR2) is wired to a panel mounted pot with non-shielded wire. This will likely prove to be problematic, and you should consider replacing the three wire runs with a shielded, twisted pair cable. Use the shield for the GND connection (bottom, left terminal when viewing the board as right-reading - I tried to post a screen shot, but it looks like it didn't come in. But if it did, the GND terminal is highlighted in yellow).

Also, you can feel free to connect with me via email (in my profile) as you most likely bought the board from me and I am happy to help out with the build.

Ciao,
Lou Rossi

Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture