Standby Switch on Chassis Ground

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

sds1

Standby Switch on Chassis Ground

Post by sds1 »

Since there are a lot of folks here using powder coated chassis...

I noticed on recent build if the standby switch isn't making good contact with chassis that it becomes source of noise -- intermittent ticking sounds, can hear a little pop in noise floor when touched by human...

Never heard the advice "make sure the standby switch is grounded" but seems like there is some leakage to the switch body? Feels very problematic yet I find no info on it anywhere...

This is D-Style power supply where standby switch breaks B+ at the reservoir cap, prior to choke.

Does any one have any experience with this? Technical explanation, recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!
rccolgan

Re: Standby Switch on Chassis Ground

Post by rccolgan »

I had a standby switch act weird like that and was leaking voltage to ground (measured via multi meter) and I swapped with a Fender spst style and it was better. For a test I would solder the two wires together and heat shrink it bypassing the switch all together. I'm joining the "Say 'NO' to standby switches" club on my next build.
Ryan
https://www.thetonegeek.com/
sluckey

Re: Standby Switch on Chassis Ground

Post by sluckey »

Seems like a simple fix to me. Remove the switch, use a Dremel to grind the power coat off the inside of the chassis, put a star washer on the switch and reinstall.