One stop shopping?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rutledj

One stop shopping?

Post by rutledj »

I hope to purchase one of Funks chassis' when they become available. Is there (or can anyone post) a thread with detail pics of this chassis and build, wiring layout, board layout, actual schematic used, and BOM?

It would really be nice not to have to reinvent the wheel in terms of finding the correct wire routing paths (for reduced hum) and correct values for both hrm and non.

Perhaps these exist among the various threads here but I haven't seen a comprehensive post of these things in one thread. This is such a sharing bunch here that I wouldn't think there would be an objection. To top it off, how about some sound clips for each type of build?

Thanks,
Rut
Funkalicousgroove

Re: One stop shopping?

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

Why not just have someone build it for you too? :D
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
Funkalicousgroove

I have some pics I'll be posting in the near future, but they won't be available to anyone that didn't purchase a chassis, you'll have to contact me for the password
rutledj

Post by rutledj »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:Why not just have someone build it for you too? :D
Actually, I want to build it myself. Just don't want to go through all the headaches that others have experienced if I don't need to.

Isn't that the purpose of this forum, to share ideas and experiences? Or is it your thought that we all need to go through the school of hard knocks to "earn" the right to get the great tone from this style amp?

Just curious. The few other amp building sites I have been on seem to willingly post all of this stuff in one easy to access location. Didn't know if there was a reason it wasn't done here.

My 2c.
Rut
mlp-mx6

Post by mlp-mx6 »

If you see a need, you can fill it! Perhaps that will be your contribution to the site - to compile all that information you want into one place, to benefit all who follow.

Don't fuss at the other forum members because they haven't already compiled what you want.
Wife: How many amps do you need?
Me: Just one more...
Funkalicousgroove

Dude, I was just kidding.

If I had time I'd give you all the info, but I don't. I spent the better part of the last 5 years of my life compiling all this information, so forgive me if I don't rush right out to compile you a list at the expense of more of my time.

Maybe it would do you some good to attend the school of hard knocks!! That's how Gil, Scott, Chris, Norm, Myself, and alot of others have done it.
ayan

Post by ayan »

rutledj wrote:
Funkalicousgroove wrote:Why not just have someone build it for you too? :D
Actually, I want to build it myself. Just don't want to go through all the headaches that others have experienced if I don't need to.

Isn't that the purpose of this forum, to share ideas and experiences? Or is it your thought that we all need to go through the school of hard knocks to "earn" the right to get the great tone from this style amp?

Just curious. The few other amp building sites I have been on seem to willingly post all of this stuff in one easy to access location. Didn't know if there was a reason it wasn't done here.

My 2c.
Rut
I will share a story about the great Dr. Z which I hope proves to be meaningful. Many years ago at one of the forums I used to hang out in the 90s, someone was asking for the schematic of a Dr. Z amp. Mike Zaite had gone on record asking that, although he doesn't pot his amps, people not post schematics of his amp in public places. I believe someone relayed that message to the fellow in search of a schematic. When he asked for the schematic again, Dr. Z posted a reply in which he said that he could get the guy a "3-D schematic" for the price of the amp. We all thought it was pretty funny.

Now, how to extrapolate from there? I think building amps is a lot of fun and I have helped for the asking just about everyone who's approached me. But I think asking for help implies being willing to take some initiative, reading the forums ad nauseum, perhaps a book or two or three or more, trying some things out on your own, hopefully being willing to carry the flag and help others, etc. I have had people "expect" that I give them a schematic, photographs, a parts list with sources and prices, a drawing of the layout, etc., and then they have emailed me to death with simple electronics questions along the way. I don't even have that kind of time or information available to myself, and the first amps I built were based on guesswork which in turn was based on, sometimes, no more than a fuzzy picture of an amp with goop all over the place.

If what one wants is basically everything served on a silver platter, then perhaps one should consider buying an amp. That way one can try or hear clips of various models, select the one that's right for us, perhaps even get a manual, etc., and of course we will pay accordingly. Buying a final product or a commercially available kit is a sure way of avoiding all the headaches the rest of us have gone through. I think the forum is here to give us a place where we can all share information and exchange ideas. I don't believe it is intended to be a neat data repository where some folks contribute so that others don't have to do any work for themselves.

Hope this is taken in the positive context in which I tried to convey my thoughts.

Gil
rutledj

Post by rutledj »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:Dude, I was just kidding.

If I had time I'd give you all the info, but I don't. I spent the better part of the last 5 years of my life compiling all this information, so forgive me if I don't rush right out to compile you a list at the expense of more of my time.

Maybe it would do you some good to attend the school of hard knocks!! That's how Gil, Scott, Chris, Norm, Myself, and alot of others have done it.
I wasn't trying to start anything. Just posing the question. I'd be glad to do it myself if I could find the information. I just don't think it is all here. If it is, it is buried within the hundreds of threads here. Some as just passing remarks that so-and-so used this value instead of what is on the schematic and got this result. Some information is passed via PMs. I've seen references made to different PI networks but haven't seen them specified in schematics.

Funk, I appreciate the work you have done. You have answered the many questions I have posted here along with others. I'm looking foward to getting one of your chassis'.

Perhaps I should just stay quiet and just read :)
Funkalicousgroove

It's all here, I assure you!! :D
Fischerman

Post by Fischerman »

Here's a couple of threads that came up during a search this morning...not sure how much help they'll be but here ya go:
BM_Build in a Funk_Chassis
100W HRM in the BluesMaster Style?
odourboy

Post by odourboy »

Fischerman wrote:Here's a couple of threads that came up during a search this morning...not sure how much help they'll be but here ya go:
BM_Build in a Funk_Chassis
100W HRM in the BluesMaster Style?
I was going to direct Rut to those very threads but Fischerman beat me to the punch. They are both intended to be directly relevant to the 'Funk Build'. I know Mark and others have put a lot of work into the schematics, layouts etc. posted there. (And you don't have to search all that far to find them either.)

And while we're on the topic, I don't know if you done this, but if not, I think you'd be doing yourself a huge favor by reading through the hundreds of threads in the Dumble forums in order to educate yourself. I'm sure you'll come across something you never throught to ask and it's also damn interesting to see how the thoughts and ideas have evolved here over the last 18 months or so. Just sayin' :D
"Let's face it, the non HRMs are easier to play, there, I've said it." - Gil Ayan... AND HE"S IN GOOD COMPANY!

Black chassis' availble: http://cepedals.com/Dumble-Style-Chassis.html
rutledj

Post by rutledj »

I think the forum is here to give us a place where we can all share information and exchange ideas. I don't believe it is intended to be a neat data repository where some folks contribute so that others don't have to do any work for themselves.
I guess my idea of a place to share info contridicts the data repository idea. I'm not looking to rip anyone off. We are all interested in building exacting replicas of Dumble amps (so aren't we kinda ripping him off?). There are links to actual dumble amp pics here. Heck, some of you even have the serial numbers and associated layouts memorized!

I'm not a novice technician. It has been some time since I played with tube stuff though (not since 1977 in the Navy). Now I program computers and just took up this hobby to stay in electronics a bit. So while maybe my desire of a central database of everything might be a gold mine for beginners, I'm just trying to enjoy the hobby without the associated frustration that comes from improperly placed parts, cables, transformers.

Anyway, it was just an idea. I won't bother you guys with it anymore.

Thanks,
Rut
Fischerman

Post by Fischerman »

And while we're on the topic, I don't know if you done this, but if not, I think you'd be doing yourself a huge favor by reading through the hundreds of threads in the Dumble forums in order to educate yourself. I'm sure you'll come across something you never throught to ask and it's also damn interesting to see how the thoughts and ideas have evolved here over the last 18 months or so.
QFT
Just make sure have a notepad handy...with several columns. The 'dogears says' column...the 'Gil says' column...the 'Brandon says' column...etc. :lol:
jurgen

Post by jurgen »

Rut

It is a bit overwhelming. Plenty of layouts and pictures of the real deal
in the files section.

And possibly this is helpful ( i forget who complied it sorry)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimiB

Post by JimiB »

We are all interested in building exacting replicas of Dumble amps
This is incorrect. Your presupposition is possibly why you are feeling the energy in the response to the "lets put all the secrets and tweaks in one place where anybody can get them all with little to no effort" idea.
Some of us are here to glean information and try to understand tube amp theory/design. HAD was/is a brilliant man and a great amplifier builder. I am very gratefull for his contributions to the tube guitar amp world. I feel similarly about KF. I build amps that incorporate ideas - some start out very "clone" like because its a good starting place, but from there I modify and tweak it until it sounds as much like I want it to as possible. Dogears continually posts clips of amps he is trying to tweak to perfection - he and many others here are not trying to build "genuine replicas".