Reverse relay state for footswitch LEDS? SOLVED!

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rogb

Reverse relay state for footswitch LEDS? SOLVED!

Post by rogb »

Hi all,
I've recently dug out my 2017 #183 1U preamp.
It's working perfectly so I decided to build an OD/PAB footswitch. No problem I've built around 4. The rear manual switches work fine too.
Problem is although the switching works perfectly I cannot get the LEDS on when OD or PAB is engaged. It works fine the opposite way which leads me to think the ON state is when the coil is de-energised.
I have tried both 5v and 12v from the regulators in this preamp prototype but it makes no difference. Nor does changing LED resistor values.

Right now I've tried 12v to the LEDS and the 5v relay supply going to pin 4. Also the Brown Note style that always worked before.
I have tried everything I can find but without luck. It's been so long I can't find my original relay diagram that Martin Manning (or Structo) supplied.
Thanks and I hope you are all fine. Think this is my 13th year on TAG. Wow!
Last edited by rogb on Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martin manning

Re: Reverse relay state for footswitch LEDS?

Post by martin manning »

Hi Rog, got any schematics of what you are trying to do?
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

rogb wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:31 pm Hi all,
It's working perfectly so I decided to build an OD/PAB footswitch. No problem I've built around 4. The rear manual switches work fine too.
Problem is although the switching works perfectly I cannot get the LEDS on when OD or PAB is engaged. It works fine the opposite way which leads me to think the ON state is when the coil is de-energised.
I have tried both 5v and 12v from the regulators in this preamp prototype but it makes no difference. Nor does changing LED resistor values.

Right now I've tried 12v to the LEDS and the 5v relay supply going to pin 4. Also the Brown Note style that always worked before.
I have tried everything I can find but without luck. It's been so long I can't find my original relay diagram that Martin Manning (or Structo) supplied.
ON state is when the coil is de-energised.../works fine the other way - recommend you double check your LED polarity with respect to the flyback diode on the coil.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
rogb

Post by rogb »

martin manning wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:12 pm Hi Rog, got any schematics of what you are trying to do?
I haven't got any paperwork for this. I guess I've moved 6 times since then. I just took 183 preamp and added the needed circuits for 230 and 12v from flatpack transformers.
rogb

Post by rogb »

Stephen1966 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:13 pm
rogb wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:31 pm Hi all,

ON state is when the coil is de-energised.../works fine the other way - recommend you double check your LED polarity with respect to the flyback diode on the coil.
Yes the ON state is when the coil is de-energised. Any reason the ON state can't be reversed. Didn't some use OD as the default coil state ISTR,
rogb

Post by rogb »

rogb

Post by rogb »

Pretty certain I wired up according to this
Taylor_OD_Relay_R1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

rogb wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:38 pm
martin manning wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:12 pm Hi Rog, got any schematics of what you are trying to do?
I haven't got any paperwork for this. I guess I've moved 6 times since then. I just took 183 preamp and added the needed circuits for 230 and 12v from flatpack transformers.
So it was all manual, rear switches only, and now you want to add a foot switch. Do you have relays installed now?
rogb

Post by rogb »

martin manning wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:53 pm
rogb wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:38 pm
So it was all manual, rear switches only, and now you want to add a foot switch. Do you have relays installed now?
It's always had relays and rear switching. It used to work on my old footswitch but I can't remember if the LEDS did... nearly 6 years since I did this lol. The footswitch and that 100w rig are long gone now.
Yes Martin the footswitch works perfectly on OD and PAB. Just the LEDS only come on when OD/PAB are off.
Last edited by rogb on Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

rogb wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:56 pmYes Martin the footswitch works perfectly on OD and PAB. Just the LEDS only come on when OD/PAB are off.
ok, so do you have the separate 12V power lead going to the foot switch or are you using the relay coil current to turn he LED's on?
rogb

Post by rogb »

martin manning wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:59 pm
rogb wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:56 pmYes Martin the footswitch works perfectly on OD and PAB. Just the LEDS only come on when OD/PAB are off.
ok, so do you have the separate 12V power lead going to the foot switch or are you using the relay coil current to turn he LED's on?
I've tried all ways. But not with the 2 x 5v from the 1K resistors on the PS. Maybe I need to run the 2 separate 5v supplies to pins 1 and 5? As per the layout
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

Pretty sure this would work for you. If they are non-latching relays the flyback diode on the coil orientation could go either way.

The LED B+ is part of the line that feeds the coils, switching a relay off breaks the continuity to ground. Seems your LEDs are providing a path to ground with the relay off. Curious!

This design works though...

LEDs + Relays.jpg

Edit: Just noticed I've got my relay ports mislabelled for the chassis switches on the schematic. Ports out on the relays are correct though and the switches themselves are labelled correctly. I corrected this and replaced it with a correct schematic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Stephen1966 on Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

rogb wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:01 pm
I've tried all ways. But not with the 2 x 5v from the 1K resistors on the PS. Maybe I need to run the 2 separate 5v supplies to pins 1 and 5? As per the layout
There are a number of ways to make it work. See here https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 006#p55006 for the original D ODS style, where a supply lead for each function runs to the XLR/DIN jack, with the current limiting resistors on the chassis side. That means 5 pins are needed for two functions. I prefer to run a single 12V or 5V supply lead through the jack, and put the current limiting resistors in the foot switch, Then 5 pins can support three functions.
rogb

Post by rogb »

martin manning wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:18 pm
rogb wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:01 pm
There are a number of ways to make it work. See here https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 006#p55006 for the original D ODS style, where a supply lead for each function runs to the XLR/DIN jack, with the current limiting resistors on the chassis side. That means 5 pins are needed for two functions. I prefer to run a single 12V or 5V supply lead through the jack, and put the current limiting resistors in the foot switch, Then 5 pins can support three functions.
Thanks Martin I have always made my footswitch this way. The annoying thing is that the switches work fine without the LEDS and with LEDS on 5 or 12v, also work, but somehow the LEDS are getting powered in the OFF state rather than ON. I have tried every way I can find so far.
FOOTSWITCH_3.jpg
rogb

Post by rogb »

Stephen1966 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:48 pm Pretty sure this would work for you. If they are non-latching relays the flyback diode on the coil orientation could go either way.

The LED B+ is part of the line that feeds the coils, switching a relay off breaks the continuity to ground. Seems your LEDs are providing a path to ground with the relay off. Curious!

This design works though...

LEDs + Relays.jpg

Edit: Just noticed I've got my relay ports mislabelled for the chassis switches on the schematic. Ports out on the relays are correct though and the switches themselves are labelled correctly. I corrected this and replaced it with a correct schematic.
Thanks Stephen that looks helpful. I'll study the schematic and see how much rewiring is needed.