Non HRM vs. HRM

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dogears

Non HRM vs. HRM

Post by dogears »

Edited as I was experimenting with the HRM clip. I used a 330pf treble cap and it wasn't happening. ;)
Last edited by dogears on Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sven

Re: Non HRM vs. HRM

Post by Sven »

The non-HRM, in these quarters.
Tonegeek

Post by Tonegeek »

First impression after a quick listen:
The non-HRM clip is fuller and smoother to my ears so I prefer it a bit over the HRM clip. The HRM clip seems a bit thinner sounding. It also seems to have a bit lower drive setting and more presence. This could also just be the HRM mid scoop.
Pitcher Amplification
http://pitcheramps.com
G-Dorian

Post by G-Dorian »

I have to agree. Non-HRM. It's just smoother and more pleasant to the ears. But the HRM clip is closer to the non-HRM than in past clips.
dogears

Post by dogears »

I kind of agree.... However, I am not done tweaking the non HRM. With a little more bottom and maybe a little less on the treble trim, I think it would kill. In the room, the midrange complexity of the HRM is still very attractive. We are comparing a 50 to a 100 as well.

Also, I had my RFT tube in V2 for the HRM clip. It is much brighter and thinner than the JJs that were in the non HRM. Here is a clip using the JJ tube in V2. The mix is little off I think, but here it is anyway. http://www.scottlernermusic.com/2008/FatJJWerks330b.mp3
ayan

Post by ayan »

dogears wrote:Here are two clips. First is the Bludo non HRM. The second is the Glaswerks HRM.
Not to sound like TAG, Scott, but I appreciate his question at TGP: why not record hte Glasswerks in non HRM mode and do more of an apples to apples offering? In the near decade I have been messing around with this stuff, I personally have not heard an HRM I like better than a non HRM, and I don't want to misquote Gary, but he feels the same way...

Cheers,

Gil
dogears

Post by dogears »

Because the point of the thread was to compare HRM to non HRM. Not amp to amp. I still prefer HRM for many things fwiw. It cleans up much better and there is a midrange silky texture that I really dig. Better for real jazzy fusion style I think. Having said that, I would not trade the Bludo's awesome non HRM tone for anything. When I get my HRM Bludo, I can do same amp company A/B clips. I also really prefer the tone and feel of a 100 watter.
ayan wrote:
dogears wrote:Here are two clips. First is the Bludo non HRM. The second is the Glaswerks HRM.
Not to sound like TAG, Scott, but I appreciate his question at TGP: why not record hte Glasswerks in non HRM mode and do more of an apples to apples offering? In the near decade I have been messing around with this stuff, I personally have not heard an HRM I like better than a non HRM, and I don't want to misquote Gary, but he feels the same way...

Cheers,

Gil
ayan

Post by ayan »

dogears wrote:Because the point of the thread was to compare HRM to non HRM. Not amp to amp.
I guess if I had the same amps and wanted to do an HRM VS non HRM comparison, without putting one amp against the other, I would do clips of the Glasswerks in both HRM and non HRM mode. Against itslef, if you will. Posting clips of one amp VS the other which -- while not your intention -- you did, kind of begs the question.

Cheers,

Gil
dogears

Post by dogears »

Understood.....

I guess it is not fair to compare the amps like this as people will inevitably compare the brands.

They are both great. The Glaswerks has a superb 80s voice as well. I guess in the future, I do my A/B clips of the same amp.

Fwiw, I like the HRM tone here as much as the non HRM. Plus it is a blast to play and the feel is tremendous in person.

Carry on.
jelle

Post by jelle »

Dogears,

I know what you mean about the HRM amp sound in the room. Can you do a recording with an additional mike that is further away from the speaker to record the room sound as well? Maybe that will help the HRM recording.
Jelle
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Bludo did it.... Bludo did it......

(geezer Popeye reference) :wink:
HiGain

Post by HiGain »

Hmm... I have to say, I like the HRM tone in the first clip a little better. Mids are fat on the higher notes to facilitate your horn-type phrasing.

The term brassy has been used to describe dumble tones. Lately I've been thinking of NONHRM amps as tenors and HRM amps as altos. Maybe this is wrong, but I like Charlie Parker the same amount as as Sonny Stitt!

I also think there are a couple distinct NON HRM tones. I guess I'd subdivide again to say that one is more like a baratone and one is more like a tenor.

Jake

PS I wish I could play your awesome lines!
les_guitar

Post by les_guitar »

Non-HRM.

HRM sounds a bit compressed in comparison to Non-HRM
makrisp

NON -HRM

Post by makrisp »

Scott,

Really like the Non - HRM, but the HRM is not too far behind for me.

Thanks for the clips
PM
mlp-mx6

Post by mlp-mx6 »

For these 2 recordings, I have to admit that I prefer the non-HRM.

However, in my own amps (so far), I prefer HRM.
Wife: How many amps do you need?
Me: Just one more...