Rev-A-Loop Clips

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

glasman

Rev-A-Loop Clips

Post by glasman »

Here is a clip of the rev-a-loop. Guitar is a Fender Strat into my Super Overdrive 50 amp. Clip was recorded flat with no EQ or compression.
Speaker is a 1x12 Tonker loaded cabinet.

Let me know what you think....

Sorry for the rambling on the clip. Kinda sounds like Bugs Henderson :)

Gary

www.glaswerks.com/media/revaloop.mp3
Located in the St Croix River Valley- Afton, MN
About 5 miles south of I-94
aka K0GWA, K0 Glas Werks Amplification

www.glaswerks.com
ElectronAvalanche

Re: Rev-A-Loop Clips

Post by ElectronAvalanche »

Hi Gary,

great clip!!

I especially liked the narration and explanations!

The Reverb sounds very nice.

Where do you think the hum is coming from?

Maybe you could try to use some NLF either on the Reverb driver tube or on the Recovery section to smooth out the Reverb a bit more.

I personally do not like too much Dwell btw. Really like the Dwell up to 12 o`clock on the clip.

I really like the Clean sound of your amp bwt.

So did you parallel the Reverb Recovery tube systems yet?

If you look at Bens schemo of the 70s ODS Reverb, you should maybe try (as mentioned above) the Feedback on the Driver tube (820k with 0.05uF cap if I remember correctly).

BTW: if you find an old used spring Reverb from a Hammond organ (these can be found real cheap on evilbay) you should give these a try. They do sound much smoother than the new Accutronics.

Thanks again!

I am tempted to build a Reverb-A-Loop myself. I already have a nice PS for a Rack Dumbleator but only heater current for 2 tubes for that.

Maybe I should try a one tube Reverb ckt then?

Cheers,

Electron
glasman

Post by glasman »

ElectronAvalanche wrote:Hi Gary,

great clip!!

I especially liked the narration and explanations!

The Reverb sounds very nice.

Where do you think the hum is coming from?
Thanks, the comments on the narration, still sound like Bugs' liner note on his albums :)

(if you don't know Bugs Henderson, go to http://www.bugshenderson.com )

The hum is a low level signal that is being picked up by the Reverb tank output coil. I tried DC on the filaments to see if that was the issue but there was no difference. There is probably still one ground loop left that I still need to find. It is probably that the recovery amp ground and the reverb output tank ground are at separate locations.

Maybe you could try to use some NLF either on the Reverb driver tube or on the Recovery section to smooth out the Reverb a bit more.
I looked at that and might give it a try and see how it sounds. I looked at the 70's ODR will try it next time I open the box.

I personally do not like too much Dwell btw. Really like the Dwell up to 12 o`clock on the clip.

I really like the Clean sound of your amp bwt.
I usually keep it set between 11:00 and 1:00. The tone control really does a nice job of tailoring the overall reverb effect. Gets rid of a lot of the Elca BOING factor.

Thanks for the comments on the amp. I kinda like it too :)

So did you parallel the Reverb Recovery tube systems yet?

If you look at Bens schemo of the 70s ODS Reverb, you should maybe try (as mentioned above) the Feedback on the Driver tube (820k with 0.05uF cap if I remember correctly).
Yes, I did parallel the sections of the recovery amp. Two stages of gain was too much. The parallel sections sound much better.

The NFB is something that I will try.

BTW: if you find an old used spring Reverb from a Hammond organ (these can be found real cheap on evilbay) you should give these a try. They do sound much smoother than the new Accutronics.

Thanks again!

I am tempted to build a Reverb-A-Loop myself. I already have a nice PS for a Rack Dumbleator but only heater current for 2 tubes for that.

Maybe I should try a one tube Reverb ckt then?

Cheers,

Electron
I have heard comments on the old Hammond tanks. Problem for me is that I will need a steady flow of tanks in time. Bext for me is to figure how to make the new ones work. I have never tried them, but the Belton tanks are suppose to be even worse that the new Accu's. Actually rolling the tone control to between 12:00 and 2:00 really smooths out the sound.

The one tube circuit would work just about as well. Ask Dogears about the reverb I built into his amp. It is the one tube circuit that picks up the signal just before the loop and injects the reverb signal into the recovery amp. It can really go over the top as well!

Thanks for the comments.

Gary

www.glaswerks.com
tonelab2

Post by tonelab2 »

Thanks for posting the clip I really like the sound of the reverb (and the amp as well).
glasman

Post by glasman »

tonelab2 wrote:Thanks for posting the clip I really like the sound of the reverb (and the amp as well).
Thanks much. The amp is my original build from a couple of years ago.
It has been a real work horse.

Gary

www.glaswerks.com