Dumble variations..silly question?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Aurora

Dumble variations..silly question?

Post by Aurora »

I've been poking around here at ampgarage for something like a month or so....studying schematics, listening to soundclips, scratching my head...
I've been talking to several of the local guitar freaks, no pro's around here, but certainly a good bunch of very gifted amateurs, and so far no-one have even heard of a Dumble...
I certainly do know quite alot about amplifiers, but there's something here that eludes me......
Somehow this seems to be the eternal chase of the holy grail of guitar tone, but still....
Please....Would some of you guys take some time to try to explain the differences in character of the non-HRM, HRM, Bluesmaster - and what-have-you..... to a fairly guitar illiterate.....
I do read all the schematics just fine, so I can see all the strictly technical differences.................but what makes a Dumble different from a Fender Twin, a classical Marshall og even an old VOX????
( OK - I've read and listened -- I do feel I'm getting a hunch, but some short characteristics would be ever so nice! )
porterburst

Re: Dumble variations..silly question?

Post by porterburst »

Bump.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Aurora wrote: ... and so far no-one have even heard of a Dumble...

... there's something here that eludes me ......

... explain the differences in character of the non-HRM, HRM, Bluesmaster ...

... I can see all the strictly technical differences ...... but what makes a Dumble different from a Fender Twin, a classical Marshall ...???? ( ... some short characteristics would be ever so nice! )
Excuse me (and of course, no offense intended) but I just can't get a handle on what your query/question is. I'd like to be able to comment if I could.

One thing I got out of your statement is possibly a quest to make some comparison of technical things to the sound. Am I close? Also, you don't state if you are a guitar player, I was just wondering.
I have quoted some of your statements that I thought you may wish to clarify.

It is no small task discussing comparisons between the the various versions of Overdrive Specials you stated, as well as comparing to other amp brands, and can be very subjective.
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

Aurora wrote:what makes a Dumble different from a Fender Twin, a classical Marshall og even an old VOX???
The ability to get the solo tone that's been in your head ever since you developed a passion for the electric guitar.
If you've already experienced that there is no reason to pursue a Dumble style amp.
If you haven't you may need to experiment with a few different flavors of the Dumble topologys to find it, but find it you will.
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Aurora

Take a Fender twin reverb amp and stick a varitone circuit in front and call it your own holy grail of amps.

Apparently a ODS front end with Skyliner EQ and Fender twin Reverb section, PI and Power section = SSS but that is not for sure since each one was apparently built to suit the player. I have been chasing this same question for months. Decided to go with rj guitars and others an build my own version.

Mark
sidehatch

Post by sidehatch »

heisthl wrote:
Aurora wrote:what makes a Dumble different from a Fender Twin, a classical Marshall og even an old VOX???
The ability to get the solo tone that's been in your head ever since you developed a passion for the electric guitar.
If you've already experienced that there is no reason to pursue a Dumble style amp.
If you haven't you may need to experiment with a few different flavors of the Dumble topologys to find it, but find it you will.
Thats the best quote I've ever heard regarding a Dumble's lead tone.

If you have been trying different dirt pedals,TS variants etc, D style pedals thru a fender amp (for great clean tone) yet the lead tone doesn't respont like a horn does then you need to go the Dumble style amp route.

For me, I want a lead tone that reacts like a sax. the more air you push into it the more throaty it sounds with more sustain.
D amps are the only amps that I have had do this and of all of them I've treid I like Heisthl's best.
pullshocks

Post by pullshocks »

vilken som helst er dodsbra.
aprilia1k

Post by aprilia1k »

pullshocks wrote:vilken som helst er dodsbra.
Say what? ;)

Yeah - been listening to the Redplate amps for awhile now on youtube, and damn they sound good. Nice looking too.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

vilken som helst er dodsbra = Any of you Dodsbra?

Not sure who Dodsbra is though.
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

rough translation

vilken som helst er dodsbra = who-ever is killer / or really good
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
Stanz

Post by Stanz »

heisthl wrote:
+1

I always loved how Jeff Beck played on Beck/Hammer live. Not the tone, but the style. This amp allows me to do that very easily. First amp I have had that reacted and played leads the way I want (non-HRM). No pedals, no reverb needed. I am not totally sold on it as a rhythm amp (more rock and roll, hard blues), but that is probably more about my playing style. Although, for really clean stuff, it is a great amp as well. But for leads, single note stuff, I can go from lean to mean, and all points in between so easily.

I never heard of a D amp until I landed here, in the pursuit of an interesting amp to build after having built a 5e3 Deluxe and an AC15. Safe to say not many have heard of these amp, even amongst a lot of players.