college extracurricular activity

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

TeeGee

college extracurricular activity

Post by TeeGee »

Hi All!

I am attending technical college. My dean heavily encourages going above and beyond the curriculum and supports efforts to those ends. I am studying electronics and, sadly, computers as well. I would rather be poor than have anything to do with computers so I am focusing the electronics.

I wish to attempt to build a Dumble style amplifier for my project. I am not looking to reinvent the wheel or start an amp company. I hope to present a fully functional amp for my project. I will take this amp to job interviews along with written and photographic/video documentation of the build. I am hoping to work doing musical instrument repair and there are a few places near enough to me to make this become a reality.

To that end I need to purchase a chassis and all of the necessary parts to do this. I will also need a known good schematic of the Dumble circuit. The amp I wish to build is an Overdrive Special. I want to do an older version without the additional eq section from the later amps. I hope I have stated this correctly as I a really quite ignorant of the whole Dumble phenomena.

Any assistance would be greatly appeciated. Again I do not really know anything about tube amps or Dumbles. I am not looking for discouraging advice to build something simpler. I am a pretty intelligent guy and wish to attempt an ODS. What I am really looking for is validated parts list and a source for them. A chassis source and transformer source as well.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration in this matter.
Structo

Re: college extracurricular activity

Post by Structo »

So you would rather scratch build this verses build one from a kit?

That's a pretty ambitious first build.

Are wanting the 100 watt or 50 watt ODS?

Look in the files section, just about everything will be found there concering the ODS.

Ic-Racer built a #124 replica and he may have a BOM.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
TeeGee

Post by TeeGee »

I wasn't even aware kits existed. Like I said I really don't know anything about electronics, amps or Dumbles. Would you please tell me more about the kits?
Stanz

Post by Stanz »

TeeGee wrote:Like I said I really don't know anything about electronics, amps or ...

I would humbly suggest you get some electronics knowledge under your belt before diving into building an amp. The caps in the power supply can hold a charge long after it is turned off and you are dealing with DC voltages ranging from 300V on up to 400V+. These are lethal voltages. Now, this doesn't mean that amps shouldn't be built, it is simply a good thing if you are around to enjoy all your hard work.
talbany

Post by talbany »

Here is a fairly accurate layout of a non HRM (no tone stack) of an earlier Dumble ODS #124...I think there is a schematic as well floating around on the board... It's a fairly complex amp for a first build... If your pretty good with an iron take your time go at it methlodicially and build from the outside in you should be fine..If you need any parts PM me... Good Luck

Tony VVT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M Fowler

Project

Post by M Fowler »

I don't know what your major is in but I would guess that it is probably computer tech or industrical electronics. I was in EEE at NDSU Fargo ND and we had to keep the projects down to printed circuit board designs or in other words smaller projects.

You could go the route that Groove Tubes creator did and combine tube electronics with the computer electronics by studing how to measure the valves (tubes) using computer programs as to why the tubes do what they do in the various stages as well as various created circuits rather than building a complicated amp. You could also build a amp for yourself by getting a cheaper and easier amp kit so you can learn as you go.

Mark
Structo

Post by Structo »

Yes, I would say that building an 100 watt ODS is way above what a college course would expect for a project.
Here is the Brown Note D'Lite 44 watt ODS.
Which is a simplified version of a ODS. That would be a more practical approach. You can still buy a kit if you want.

Then there is the Ceriatone 50 watt ODS, which is a 50 watt ODS.

But I will tell you that if you try to source your own parts, you will be in excess of $650 for the 50 watter.

http://www.ceriatone.com/productSubPage ... ertone.htm

http://www.brownnote.net/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom

TeeGee

Post by TeeGee »

Wow! What great replies. I am little overwhelmed it will take me a little while to sort all this out. I was so worried that I would be preached to or ridiculed for my ambition. Huge thanks to you all for such thoughtful replies. I do have some pretty impressive resources available to me so I might just go ahead and try this. The worse that can happen is I fail and even if that occurs I will still learn a lot. I am familiar enough with capacitors and how dangerous they can be that I am comfortable that I will not get zapped. I took HVAC in high school which was 25 years ago. I saw a couple of kids get popped by a run capicitor and it was pretty eye opening and well... kinda funny too.
danotron

Post by danotron »

Build the Dlite....it is very strait forward and do-able. Please feel free to PM me anytime. I have done alot of reading here and have found most of the information you will need.

I was a electronics engineering student not that long ago. I wish I had of made a Dlite for my project.
The Blues is my Business....
and Business is good.....
TeeGee

Post by TeeGee »

So I found a place that does an instructor led build of tweed amps. I think this is a good start for me. Based on how that goes I want to tackle a ceriatone ots next. The class for the tweed build is in January. If anyone is interested I will post my results of that experience once completed.
Structo

Post by Structo »

The Ceriatone ODS comes with the boards asssembled if that helps your decision.
Not sure if the flying leads are attached or not.

But no instructions other than the posted layout.

A lot of guys order them without the transformers and tubes to save on shipping weight.

But an amp camp would be great hands on learning experience.
Tom

TeeGee

Post by TeeGee »

I emailed nik at ceriatone and he said he would sell the ots kit unassembled. Though he won't give a price break for doing so. The instructor led class I found is too expensive for me now. So I think I am going to do strat first.